• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tight end free agent class.

johnking3194

I know everyone is talking about drafting a tight end this year but have you guys seen how deep the free agent class is?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691719-nfl1000-free-agent-rankings-for-the-2017-te-market

If we could get a guy like Jack Doyle or Ryan Griffin, two solid TE2 that are good blockers, does that not fill a draft need with a proven vet? Plus these guys can't demand more that 4 mil a year. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I have to think they are not only looking for a TE2, but someone who can be a top 10 TE in a couple years when Greg retires. Maybe give Jared Cook a look, but he will probably get overpaid and is about as consistent as Dickson with much higher upsides.

I agree that we should draft one because we're looking for a TE2 in name only, we want someone who can be a 1b to Olsen and who can take over.

If we were to target a FA TE, I vote for Luke Willson from Seattle. That guy always kills us when we play him. He is a talented receiver and has a lot of blocking experience. If we evolve to feature 2 TEs more, I think we can unlock his potential more than they did in Seattle. As the article states, he might be the gem of the TE class this free agency because he really isn't in an offense that sets up him for statistical success, he has all the tools, and shows flashes whenever he gets the ball.

I think Willson could blow up like Barnidge did in Cleveland.

I say sign Mychal Rivera and dedicate a draft pick to TE.

Going back to that Raiders game where Hardy absolutely broke Carson Palmer in half (maybe my favorite panther play ever), I remember being impressed with him and Mike Mitchell. He is a pretty good pass catcher and a serviceable blocker.

Is he a Greg Olsen replacement? No. Is he better than Dixon? I think so.

The other option is to get a TE solely for blocking. If fournette is the pick, I kind of lean toward this plan.

I think we need to see if we can land a TE in free agency who is an upgrade over Dickson and draft one as well in day 2 . We need 2TEs down the road not 1 and depth is necessary on offense at key positions. If anything happened to Olsen for even a game or two, we would be screwed big time. We need backups who can start if necessary not just play special teams and take up a roster spot.

2 hours ago, Ship said:

I agree that we should draft one because we're looking for a TE2 in name only, we want someone who can be a 1b to Olsen and who can take over.

If we were to target a FA TE, I vote for Luke Willson from Seattle. That guy always kills us when we play him. He is a talented receiver and has a lot of blocking experience. If we evolve to feature 2 TEs more, I think we can unlock his potential more than they did in Seattle. As the article states, he might be the gem of the TE class this free agency because he really isn't in an offense that sets up him for statistical success, he has all the tools, and shows flashes whenever he gets the ball.

I think Willson could blow up like Barnidge did in Cleveland.

I would only take Bennette or Wilson. I rather draft a young stud to learn under Olsen and take over when he retires.

Panther's philosophy under Ron values TEs more than WRs.

7 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Seattle can save 10 million bucks with 0 dead money by cutting graham.  I don't think he has fit well with wilson so I think it's possible they move on from him.   I hate his guts but if TD gave it the ok I would love to pair him with Olsen. 

One, I don't think Seattle has any intentions of getting rid of him. He was a huge part of their offense this year and showed a connection with Wilson, despite coming off one of the worst injuries you can get the year before. Two, aside from our rivalry with him he is just not the type of player we need. He's honestly kind of like KB just considered a TE. He can't block to save his life and is mostly a move TE, rarely playing on the line where we have Dickson and would have any upgrade we get. Three, no chance we spend big bucks on a skill player like Graham.

In regards to this TE free agent class, I actually don't think it's very good. I don't think either of the guys you mentioned in OP are much better than Dickson at all. I like Willson but that's pretty much it. Definitely want us to draft someone to develop.

Archived