• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCafrrey

Ace_Aladdin

The problem with a number 8 pick is that while it is early, it's not early enough to really target one of the standouts. It is a great place for the BPA pick as there is almost a guarantee that at least one of the elite players will still be on the table, but you are still stuck wondering "Which one?"

Someone may trade up into the top 5 to reach for a QB that they don't want to lose out on, or a pass rusher that they desperately need, knocking a great Tackle, RB or WR down the charts just enough. We could also see that the BPA by that time might not be a position of immediate need, but could be something like a linebacker or guard.

Eighth pick is prime trading territory, though. Lots of good choices to pick from and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gettleman trade back like five to eight slots, pick up a third rounder (and maybe a fifth) and then take someone like McCaffrey. McCaffrey could potentially answer a lot of problems for us and could work well as a running back teamed with JStew. He would be an instant upgrade as well when used as a passing target coming out of the backfield. And then there's that special teams ability... he's got the talent there, too.

1 hour ago, thomas96 said:

I don't think he lasts either but I highly doubt the Pats would take him in the first round, even if they're 32nd. That type of player is a plug and play in their offense and they already have multiple players who can do what he would do for them. Their defense was #1 in points this year but is still a weakness for them (that stat is aided significantly by their schedule). Can't see them going offense skill position in the first unless Howard falls (man that would be scary as hell but it could open up an opportunity to get Bennett if we wanted).

I would be okay with double dipping with Fournette and Mixon, honestly.  

Mixon is too damn talented to ignore.  Especially as a receiver out of the backfield.  

I like the thought process as Taylor would have more knowledge about McCaffrey then most, but I think he is too well known to slide without an injury or poor performance at this point.

I'll throw a different name out though that Taylor would have extra knowledge about.  Michael Rector was a speedy, underused vertical threat there at Stanford.  He been unofficially clocked at sub 4.4 (spring 2015) and measured up with very good length at the NFLPA game (6001, 187 lbs, 32 3/8" arms, 9 1/8" hands, 79" wingspan).  He could be in play late or after the draft.

PS - Taylor must have been doing good work at Stanford as he was the RB coach of the year last year and has another pretty good back following McCaffrey (Bryce Love out of NC).

1 hour ago, nctarheel0619 said:

I would be okay with double dipping with Fournette and Mixon, honestly.  

Mixon is too damn talented to ignore.  Especially as a receiver out of the backfield.  

If we don't get Fournette, I think we should wait and take Perine (not sure where he is projected). He is an NFL caliber back for sure. Kind of reminds me of JStew in some regards  -maybe with a little dose of MJD.  Lets say he is projected third round... S,DE,Perine would look pretty good.

If by some miracle we grab Fournette at 8# and McCaffrey is there at 40# I would be for drafting him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gettleman take him. I see a lot of you stating that we couldn't utilize Stewart, Fournette, and McCaffrey but they all have diverse skill sets and the talent to merit each of them receiving significant play time. We all know what Stewart can do, and he is a true three-down back, but he is getting old and needs someone to lighten the load. Fournette is a power back with speed in spades and a threat to take it to the house on any carry, his running style is very north-to-south and has similarities to Stewart. The Panthers could have Stewart and Fournette alternate drives keeping both of them fresh and wearing down opposing defenses. McCaffrey is a great receiver out of the backfield and possesses incredible agility and wiggle; he is much more of an east-west style runner compared to Stewart or Fournette. The Panthers would be well served by utilizing two back sets with McCaffrey and a power runner as it would allow for more diversity in options and methods of attack. McCaffrey has the skills to split out wide or operate in the slot which solves our issue of lacking a capable slot receiver and puts more speed and agility on the field. In Cam's tenure, the Panthers have not had a good check down target and receiver with YAC ability, McCaffrey solves that problem and opens the offense up such that we'll see less stalled drives and increase our time of possession. Additionally, McCaffrey is a good returner, something the Panthers are in dire need of which coincides with Gettleman's desire to add talent to special teams and makes a case for keeping him active on game day.

If we're going to draft two RBs, would much rather grab one of the local kids in the later rounds. TJ Logan, Elijah Hood, or Matt Dayes can probably be had in the 5th round at earliest, or as UDFAs.  IIRC, Dayes graded out as the best blocking HB in the draft class (according to I think something Bucky Brooks did on Twitter so may be bs)...and Logan/Hood could give us a speed or power dynamic with potential.  I don't think I could get behind 2 RBs in even the first 4 rounds, let alone the first and second. 

13 hours ago, Saca312 said:

If he falls to the second - and he likely could - I still don't know about taking him now to think about it.

Just to let you know, the only dude who thought Bradberry was the best corner from the draft before we drafted him agrees:

Dude we just hired his coach to be our WR coach. just makes his whole argument invalid.

15 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Dude we just hired his coach to be our WR coach. just makes his whole argument invalid.

How does his WR coach have anything to do concerning his limited talent as a slot receiver?

Ethan is a credible analyst who knows his stuff. He watches tape.

Archived