• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christian McCafrrey

Ace_Aladdin

A double dip at RB could be coming , Fournette/ McCafrrey 

McCafrrey would essentially be a slot WR like Edleman, Panthers could be taking  an Que from the ATL's offense.

What do you guys think?

Lance Taylor joined the Stanford program in 2014 as the Cardinal’s running backs coach. The 2016 season is his third on The Farm.
 Taylor, the 2015 FootballScoop.com Running Backs Coach of the Year, was instrumental in the breakout season of AP Player of the Year and Heisman Trophy finalist Christian McCaffrey. McCaffrey set the school record for single-game rushing yards (243) against UCLA and became the first Cardinal to eclipse the 2,000-yard rushing mark in a season (2,019). He was second among all FBS backs in rushing yards.
 McCaffrey had 11 100-yard rushing outputs and a school-record nine-straight such performances. He combined with quarterback Kevin Hogan to comprise the program’s best-ever rushing tandem (2,355). McCaffrey’s 144.2 rushing yards/game ranked third nationally.
 Remound Wright notched 13 rushing scores during his fifth-year senior campaign, seventh-most in school history. Wright finished his career with 26 rushing touchdowns, good for sixth-best by a Cardinal back.
 Stanford’s rushing offense averaged 223.7 yards/game, 19th-best nationally and second among Pac-12 programs.
 In 2014, Stanford averaged 158.8 yards/game on the ground. The Cardinal rushed for at least 100 yards in 11 of 13 games on the season, and Stanford finished with at least 200 yards on the ground in each of its last three games -- all Cardinal victories.
 Wright led Stanford with 601 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns. Wright ran for nine of his 11 scores in the final three games of the season, which included a Big Game record-tying four-touchdown performance against Cal.
 Taylor came to Stanford from the Carolina Panthers, where he spent the 2013 season as assistant wide receivers coach, working directly with Ricky Proehl.

I doubt McCaffrey is going to fall to 40, and taking him at 8 would be a waste for us. Many many people believe he won't make it past the Pats, and I certainly don't believe Getty is going to trade up to get him, especially with so much other talent on the table, not just at RB, but other positions.

This is a deep RB draft class and I personally think that targeting a quality RB that drops into the second or third round makes a lot more sense than picking a RB prospect in the top 10, especially when we have Stew on contract for another year. With McCaffery looking like the number 3 RB, I cant see 3 RB's going in the first round. 

I know most of this board would sprint to the podium for Fournette at 8, but I cant help thinking an edge defender or elite safety prospect (possibly even a TE/WR) would be better value at 8. Especially in a deep running back class where a top 3 RB may drop to the top of the second.

8 minutes ago, SpclKen said:

This is a deep RB draft class and I personally think that targeting a quality RB that drops into the second or third round makes a lot more sense than picking a RB prospect in the top 10, especially when we have Stew on contract for another year. With McCaffery looking like the number 3 RB, I cant see 3 RB's going in the first round. 

I know most of this board would sprint to the podium for Fournette at 8, but I cant help thinking an edge defender or elite safety prospect (possibly even a TE/WR) would be better value at 8. Especially in a deep running back class where a top 3 RB may drop to the top of the second.

Nah. 

27 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Nah. 

Solid response. I will give some supporting evidence for my opinion:

1. History:

Teams are drafting RBs less and less in the first round recently  Here are how many RBs have been taken in the first since 2010:

2016: 1

2015: 2

2014: 0

2013: 0

2012: 3

2011: 1

2010: 3

2. Gettleman

He has stated numerous times that RB is different from college to pros and the number one thing is pass pro. You want a RB that can immediately make an impact in the first round, especially with the #8 pick. Pass pro is always a concern with RB's and the two touted 1st round picks also have issues with pass pro: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/leonard-fournette?id=2557973

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I doubt McCaffrey is going to fall to 40, and taking him at 8 would be a waste for us. Many many people believe he won't make it past the Pats, and I certainly don't believe Getty is going to trade up to get him, especially with so much other talent on the table, not just at RB, but other positions.

I don't think he lasts either but I highly doubt the Pats would take him in the first round, even if they're 32nd. That type of player is a plug and play in their offense and they already have multiple players who can do what he would do for them. Their defense was #1 in points this year but is still a weakness for them (that stat is aided significantly by their schedule). Can't see them going offense skill position in the first unless Howard falls (man that would be scary as hell but it could open up an opportunity to get Bennett if we wanted).

No way we double dip 1 and 2 at RB.

now I could see us getting 2 RBs in the draft though.  This draft is Deep at RB and I've seen Wayne Gallman falling to the 4th in quite a few mocks.  He could be bpa in the 4th.  Kid would be a 2nd round guy in most drafts.   Wouldn't be a bad duo with Fournette if we chose to go RB in the 1st with Fournette.  

But to go rounds 1 and 2 at RB........Come on Man

3 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Peterson, Gurley, Zeke, >>> Fournette #history

Sorry, I tried to format and hit the dumb submit reply button before i was done. I was saying history as in I really do think a top 3 RB will fall to the top of the second round. They are not valued as highly when more teams are moving to 3 WR passing sets (increased usage and now almost 60% of plays are run 3 WR sets).

I also am not saying I do not like Fournette, because i really do. I just think this is a very deep RB class and there is a real possibility that we wait to take a RB especially with Stew still under contract.

25 minutes ago, ncfan said:

No way we double dip 1 and 2 at RB.

now I could see us getting 2 RBs in the draft though.  This draft is Deep at RB and I've seen Wayne Gallman falling to the 4th in quite a few mocks.  He could be bpa in the 4th.  Kid would be a 2nd round guy in most drafts.   Wouldn't be a bad duo with Fournette if we chose to go RB in the 1st with Fournette.  

But to go rounds 1 and 2 at RB........Come on Man

I wouldn't say NEVER because Gettleman has suprised me before but I agree your plan of action is better approach 

Archived