• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Cameron Artis-Payne Thread

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Darvinsun said:

If that is the case then why is he on the team period. Bad evaluation of talent...he can not be on the team if he was not chosen by  the coaches. I have watched every game that CAP played in. He does not get enough carries to even truly evaluate him...4pc is not bad. The line we had this yr. He is a back that gets better with more carries..He is patient and sees holes, follows his blocks then breaks out just like stew.

I do not know what you guys are expecting to me tolbert and fozzy are the ones that can be let go. We need guy with good lateral speed and can break angles. Not another power back...if we get rid of the fullback we could have 3 rbs active stew, payne, and new speed rb.

You pretty much said it there, he wasn't getting any carries, wasn't beating out Fozzy and Tolbert for some reason. Neither of those guys were really lighting it up this season (Fozzy did have one pretty good game), but CAP couldn't make it to the field. Sometimes what keeps them off the field is something you and I can't see during the game.

Maybe CAP doesn't know the playbook well or can't mesh well in a read option type of play. Maybe he has a nagging low grade injury that keeps him out of the running but isn't strong enough to put him on an injury report. Perhaps he has a tendency to cough the ball up in practice. We really just don't know. If a guy is averaging 4 ypc on a 6-10 team, there must be a good reason he isn't on the field, much less is the starter.

Professional football isn't just a game that is hard on the body, it is also really tough on the brain. Each player must learn a huge number of plays, variations on those plays and not just their role in each, but the roles of other people they are working with (a RB has to know where the blockers are working to make the crease or where he needs to roll out to after throwing a chip block  and a hundred other variables.)

And yes, our team does play rookies. Both those that are phenoms right out of the box and those who are pressed into service because of injuries or personnel loss. Not sending a guy into a game isn't bad talent assessment, sometimes it is excellent talent assessment. And sometimes those guys are there because we needed to fill the 53 and there was a shred of hope.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

You pretty much said it there, he wasn't getting any carries, wasn't beating out Fozzy and Tolbert for some reason. Neither of those guys were really lighting it up this season (Fozzy did have one pretty good game), but CAP couldn't make it to the field. Sometimes what keeps them off the field is something you and I can't see during the game.

Maybe CAP doesn't know the playbook well or can't mesh well in a read option type of play. Maybe he has a nagging low grade injury that keeps him out of the running but isn't strong enough to put him on an injury report. Perhaps he has a tendency to cough the ball up in practice. We really just don't know. If a guy is averaging 4 ypc on a 6-10 team, there must be a good reason he isn't on the field, much less is the starter.

Professional football isn't just a game that is hard on the body, it is also really tough on the brain. Each player must learn a huge number of plays, variations on those plays and not just their role in each, but the roles of other people they are working with (a RB has to know where the blockers are working to make the crease or where he needs to roll out to after throwing a chip block  and a hundred other variables.)

And yes, our team does play rookies. Both those that are phenoms right out of the box and those who are pressed into service because of injuries or personnel loss. Not sending a guy into a game isn't bad talent assessment, sometimes it is excellent talent assessment. And sometimes those guys are there because we needed to fill the 53 and there was a shred of hope.

Well if its him learning the playbook then fine but the plays that tolbert just runs up the middle he does nothing special on those plays ..blocking ? Tolbert and fozzy lol...everything you have said would be true if we were not dealing with shula and Rivera...Talent they assess but how and when to use it is the problem with shula and rivera. They say the answer is the roster and that may be true but when are you going to give the green light when the battery goes dead from not being used.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:01 AM, KSpan said:

While CAP was inactive when Stew was healthy, he was not only active but started the three games that Stewart was out, getting about the same amount of carries that Stew would have gotten (maybe a few less in the ATL game but hard to say since Carolina was getting murdered through the air) and averaging the same YPC. Not saying that CAP's an answer by any means but the initial post was a bit inaccurate.

I'm glad you clarified this but it's beside the point. Stewart's no stranger to injury and if CAP was really his successor they'd have him in fill-in immediately when they need him, not the week after Stew goes down. 

And we can talk about the different running styles between CAP and Fozzy till we're blue in the face, but if CAP was clearly better than the dude he wouldn't be the one inactive more often than not.

Look, I'm just trying to explain why he might not be getting on the field.

Your guy though is just sitting on the bench for a team riddled with injuries and a losing record. Why don't you ask him why he isn't out there?

Otherwise, you are speculating as much as I am.

Archived