• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Cameron Artis-Payne Thread

Jeremy Igo

Man, I hate to keep bringing this up, but here we go again...

If your player of choice spent most of the time on the bench during a 6-10 season wherein the team suffered a rash of injuries, then guess what? Your guy wasn't even good enough to get into the game during an emergency. If your guy couldn't even make it to the special teams during a 6-10 season with tons of injuries and a lousy ST effort, then your guy was just soaking up paychecks and bench space.

Honestly, it isn't about the coaches being bad talent judges. They are guaranteed to know more about the game, the players and potential than you are and they are incredibly incentivized to put winners on the field. And when times get desperate, they are known to throw any body with a pulse out there if they have to.

So, if your guy didn't make the field in this crap stain of a season, then your guy probably wasn't even a JAG player. If they saw the field and then never came back, then something must have happened. Because, I sh!t you not, if any player could have made even one game come out better, they'd have had him out there as a starter.

Think of the guys who couldn't throw a block, or catch a pass or tackle somebody this year that did see playing time. The guys you were going "How the hell did the coach throw them in there?" and realize that your guy on the bench couldn't beat that guy out for playing time.

All the rough has been sifted, there were no hidden diamonds left.

7 hours ago, panther4life said:

Stewart should be more concerned if we draft Fournette than CAP should be.

Stewart could be a cap casualty as his current cap figure will be unjustifiable if we draft Fournette. 

These are my thoughts too. and I think Fozzy is safer than either of them if we draft a RB at 8 or 40.

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

If your player of choice spent most of the time on the bench during a 6-10 season wherein the team suffered a rash of injuries, then guess what? Your guy wasn't even good enough to get into the game during an emergency. If your guy couldn't even make it to the special teams during a 6-10 season with tons of injuries and a lousy ST effort, then your guy was just soaking up paychecks and bench space.

Honestly, it isn't about the coaches being bad talent judges. They are guaranteed to know more about the game, the players and potential than you are and they are incredibly incentivized to put winners on the field. And when times get desperate, they are known to throw any body with a pulse out there if they have to.

So, if your guy didn't make the field in this crap stain of a season, then your guy probably wasn't even a JAG player. If they saw the field and then never came back, then something must have happened. Because, I sh!t you not, if any player could have made even one game come out better, they'd have had him out there as a starter.

Think of the guys who couldn't throw a block, or catch a pass or tackle somebody this year that did see playing time. The guys you were going "How the hell did the coach throw them in there?" and realize that your guy on the bench couldn't beat that guy out for playing time.

Wrong

10 hours ago, KSpan said:

Jeremy's statement isn't fully accurate. CAP was active all 3 games Stew was out prior to the start of the game (Weeks 3 vs. Min, 4 vs. Atl, and 5 vs. TB) and had 12, 6, and 18 carries in those games, averaging 4 ypc on the season with 2 TDs. They used him pretty much exactly as they used Stewart with similar results.

I'd guess that they'll bring in competition and upgrade if there's good value or if a guy like Fournette is available, but it may not be the highest priority.

So, you're saying that Jeremy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, correct?

6 hours ago, truthjuice said:

Yeah he was on 85 which is the interstate but 102..that's some fast and furious type driving lol.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Not necessarily directed at you truithjuice, but even I was that young, I pushed my car up to 110 on I16 between Macon and Savannah.

Hell, it was probably 10 years ago, I went from Garner, NC to Atlanta via 40 to 95 to I20 in five and a half hours. I got in with a about 5-6 cars on 20 who had it ramped up between 100 and 110 and hammered down all the way to well inside Georgia.

Between KC and Junction City Kansas on I70, it ain't nothing to hit 100 in spots (though I believe the speed limit may be 85 or 90)

I say all this to say that in the grand scheme of things speeding is not the worse you can do by a long shot. And sometimes the younger you are, the more chances you take. It's not like he was out there bumping cars from behind like a certain ex-NASCR driver. I certainly don't believe that it's even on the Panthers' radar as it pertains to whether or not they believe CAP is worth a damn. Moreover, I have correctly pointed out that the fumbling issue narrative is only driven by the Huddle. It doesn't exist. 

The likely reason that CAP is apparently not taken any more seriously is because he's just a guy, and one that doesn't excel at blocking.

33 minutes ago, The Question said:

So what we're basically at the end of the day saying is we doubt Jim Skips player evaluation but can we name a RB that we let go and thrived elsewhere? emoji848.png Certainly not Mike Goodson or Kenyon Barner so...

In fairness, neither Barner or Goodson were supposed to be every down starters (that would last for years). Goodson provided good depth, and Philly fans would probably tell you that as a three or four RB, Barner does the same.

It looks like CAP is within the same vein. 

Personally I think that the notion that good RBs just fall off trees all throughout the draft is overblown. How many day three RBs really excel in the NFL? Sure you have your outliers, but that can be said for any position.

The old term Just A Guy, fits him. I believe with or without stew, the RB group needs to be overhauled. If Tolbert AND cap where free agents, I doubt they'd have any offers outside training camp tryout. I believe that even if you improved the OL, the group still needs a giant talent infusion.

Not necessarily directed at you truithjuice, but even I was that young, I pushed my car up to 110 on I16 between Macon and Savannah.

Hell, it was probably 10 years ago, I went from Garner, NC to Atlanta via 40 to 95 to I20 in five and a half hours. I got in with a about 5-6 cars on 20 who had it ramped up between 100 and 110 and hammered down all the way to well inside Georgia.

Between KC and Junction City Kansas on I70, it ain't nothing to hit 100 in spots (though I believe the speed limit may be 85 or 90)

I say all this to say that in the grand scheme of things speeding is not the worse you can do by a long shot. And sometimes the younger you are, the more chances you take. It's not like he was out there bumping cars from behind like a certain ex-NASCR driver. I certainly don't believe that it's even on the Panthers' radar as it pertains to whether or not they believe CAP is worth a damn. Moreover, I have correctly pointed out that the fumbling issue narrative is only driven by the Huddle. It doesn't exist. 

The likely reason that CAP is apparently not taken any more seriously is because he's just a guy, and one that doesn't excel at blocking.

I don't think speeding is the most terrible thing anyone can do either. I'm guilty of it myself. I'm nervous to go over 80 though LMAO. Go ahead and talk about me. I think that's from a close relative losing his life during some "racing" as a teen. But anyhoo, this isn't the worse that could happen.

Maybe he works on his blocking and becomes solid. Idk, I'm indifferent to him. I actually forget he's on the team. He's inactive so much.

No coach would strategically keep a starting RB on ice for two years. CAP's coming up on his third year on a team he already fits into perfectly, if they haven't given him a serious shot yet because he's not the guy. If Stew's cut he'll be a valuable practice guy to help the team transition away.

21 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

If that is the case then why is he on the team period. Bad evaluation of talent...he can not be on the team if he was not chosen by  the coaches. I have watched every game that CAP played in. He does not get enough carries to even truly evaluate him...4pc is not bad. The line we had this yr. He is a back that gets better with more carries..He is patient and sees holes, follows his blocks then breaks out just like stew.

I do not know what you guys are expecting to me tolbert and fozzy are the ones that can be let go. We need guy with good lateral speed and can break angles. Not another power back...if we get rid of the fullback we could have 3 rbs active stew, payne, and new speed rb.

Archived