• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Cameron Artis-Payne Thread

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Cracka McNasty said:

He was an old, 5th round draft pick at the RB position. I never expected him to be anything more than depth.

The moment we draft Fournette, Cook, or anyone else in rounds 1-3, he is most likely gone, and I'm ok with it. 

I don't hate the guy but he's shown nothing exceptional that would warrant a roster spot over a highly touted rookie. 

He should have warranted an active spot over Tolbert though.

Had Rivera actually given him playing time instead of trotting an ineffective Tolbert out there week after week, we might now have a better idea of what he can (or can't) do.

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Fair or not, seems like he's done either way you look at it.

It's a shame too. The little we've seen from him he's looked decent, and yet, no play time. 

If you want to develope talent, do it. If you want older, experienced players, do it. But sh!t and get off the pot.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

He had a few decent runs this year but he hasn't shown any potential to be more than a career backup so far. Will he be backing up Fournette/Foreman or whoever we're bound to draft this year? I couldn't say. I'd be willing to give him another year and show Fozzy the door this year and let Stewart, draft pick and CAP be our three for this year. 

CAP has not been given enough snaps to even say how he would be..with the line we had it was hard for stewart..from what i saw he did good with what he was offered ..i think he should have been given more opportunities than given..using tolbert and fozzy mainly when stewart was out was a missed opportunity as Rivera likes to say...He just does not know when to change things up.

5 minutes ago, Jangler said:

It's a shame too. The little we've seen from him he's looked decent, and yet, no play time. 

If you want to develope talent, do it. If you want older, experienced players, do it. But sh!t and get off the pot.

I'll be the first to say I'm not 100% on Rivera's player evaluation.

With that said, CAP has kind of been his own worst enemy as well. He had a couple of crucial fumbles in the opportunities he got last year. He also managed to get himself arrested. For a guy trying to earn his keep, he hasn't exactly been knocking it out of the park.

1 hour ago, blackcat said:

If you aren't active when Stew is hurt, you don't need to be on the team.  I'm just as useful as a backup RB as he is.

While CAP was inactive when Stew was healthy, he was not only active but started the three games that Stewart was out, getting about the same amount of carries that Stew would have gotten (maybe a few less in the ATL game but hard to say since Carolina was getting murdered through the air) and averaging the same YPC. Not saying that CAP's an answer by any means but the initial post was a bit inaccurate.

RB is really up in the air right now. No guarantee Stew is back, and probably won't be relying on him as the bellcow starter like we have... Thinking that will come from the draft. Probably will bring in some flyer FAs or late round pick or UDFA, etc. to compete for a spot and it kind of depends on that. If we keep Stew and draft a back, CAP's pretty much gone. Thinking Fozzy's locked in as the different style of back. If Stew is cut (probably won't be but who knows) CAP has a better shot at sticking as depth but would likely still face a fair amount of competition in camp.

36 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I'll be the first to say I'm not 100% on Rivera's player evaluation.

With that said, CAP has kind of been his own worst enemy as well. He had a couple of crucial fumbles in the opportunities he got last year. He also managed to get himself arrested. For a guy trying to earn his keep, he hasn't exactly been knocking it out of the park.

When did he get arrested?

I am not unbiased on this topic.  Most people familiar with me on this forum already know that, but I wanted to make that clear first.

But "Hasn't shown any potental"?

In the last two years (the only two years CAP has been in the league), the Panther's starting RB has had the following statistical averages in 26 games as a starter:

460 rushes for 1813 yards = 3.94 yards per carry

460 rushes for 15 rushing TDs  = 30.6 rushes per TD

15 rushing TDs in 26 games = 0.58 rushing TDs per game started

24 receptions for 159 receiving yards = 6.6 yards per reception

Now the corresponding stats for CAP in 10 games (in which CAP was the starting RB in only 3):

81 rushes for 327 yards = 4.04 yards per carry

81 rushes for 3 rushing TDs = 27 rushes per TD

2 rushing TDs as a starter in 3 games started = 0.67 rushing TDs per game started

6 receptions for 69 receiving yards = 11,5 yards per reception

Now I know a lot of people like to poo on CAP for some reason.  But "hasn't shown any potential"?  "Not an NFL-level RB"?  etc. etc.  (Funny I didn't see that "fumble-prone" myth, but that might be because I've made my reply before finishing the thread.)

Well, in the very few opportunities he's been given, he's shown that he has the POTENTIAL to be just as good as the current starting RB.  Now the only way to find out if he WOULD be just as good is to, you know, USE him instead of dressing him out in sweats every Sunday.

"Oh, but if he were any good the coaches would play him!" say many of the same people who poo on these same coaches for trotting out a horrible Mike Tolbert on the field every damn Sunday for the last 2 years and continue to play Golden-Boy Bersin and Hands-of-Stone Brown over young potential like Damien Byrd.

If the Panther's go RB in this next draft (which it is likely they will), his Panther's career may well be over (though, as another pointed out, it could well be that its Stewart's Panther's career who might be over at that point).  But I'd be willing to bet a sawbuck that that doesn't mean CAP's NFL career would be over.  Some team out there will be willing to have a RB that can (1) stay healthy and (2) give you 4 yards per carry and (3) catch the ball well out of the backfield on their roster, whether he's a starter or not.

Archived