• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Cash

Jeremy Igo

The biggest influence on playing time coach wise is going to be who the position coaches lobby for. We can't hold Proehl and Holcomb and Wilks to such high esteem and say they don't know their players enough to trust their judgement. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Keeping an eye on this kid this offseason. Had been putting in long hours at the gym. Seems like making the team hasn't made him rest on his laurels, but motivated him more.

Has the instincts, smarts, and work ethic. If he can add more muscle this offseason and it appears he is..... Watch out.

You thinking we'll be seeing Luke, Shaq and Cash sooner or later and for a long time to come? TD seems like he could play at a high level until 40 though so depends on him.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Is that really true? 

Sometimes I feel that that's just a nicety that we tell ourselves---utter rhetoric that we want to believe, that's akin to propaganda in nature. I mean, for example, Damiere Byrd has worked hard and can barely hold on to a practice squad spot. He is just one among many over the years. 

I guess what I am saying is that just because you work hard doesn't automatically mean that you're going to get a real, substantive opportunity, particularly due to the way Rivera seems to blindly favor others at times. I have come to see Rivera's brand of "competition" as pure rhetoric over the years that not only colors his general roster decisions during August and the beginning of September, but his active roster on game days as well. 

Don't mind me. This is just a micro rant.

Byrd made the roster this year (and stayed on it) over a lot of guys who we invested more in (Norwood, Hill, Bersin, Garrett, etc.). I'm not dismissing your point because there could be something to it to some degree but Byrd was a poor example. 

My thoughts are that you and I don't get to see everything the coaches do in practices or film sessions. We also don't know the playbooks and can't really evaluate how well a player knows them. In a 6-10 season like we just had, with a ton of injuries, if a player doesn't somehow make the field when the coaches are just begging for someone to jump up and do something, then there must be something you and I can't see.

Why didn't Byrd get many chances in the return game? I don't know. I do know that punt returners have to either be fearless or so scared that they run like a gazelle with a pack of cheetahs after them. Perhaps Byrd fell somewhere between the two and that's not a good place for your returner to be (the Bersin-factor). Maybe he muffed about half the punts in practice? Maybe he couldn't scan the defense and find a crease while still keeping his eye on the ball as it came to him. Who knows? Maybe he needs a good 10 lbs of muscle added to his frame to keep him from getting killed out there. He might be Smitty's size, but he ain't built like Agent89 was.

Cash got some chances, but he is still growing and adapting to the game. We ought to know by training camp where he will be and maybe Byrd will surprise us, too.

1 hour ago, Ship said:

AJ Klein is likely gone. Cash might get some time switching with TD and Shaq until TD retires and we go with Cash and Shaq beside Luke. 

It's unfortunate for our LB group the way that the league has gone the past several years. Base set for offenses is pretty much 3 or 4 wideouts right now, which leaves us in our nickel package the large majority of the time. Shaq, Luke and TD are all players who can and should be playing 100% of the snaps. Unfortunately right now Shaq is the odd man out. Of course it doesn't hurt to have backlogged talent on a team and we do play with 3 LBs on a fair amount of the snaps but it's still unfortunate. When TD retires inevitably it won't be as bad but it's possible what's happening to Shaq just happens to Cash at that point.

That's great. I like this kid and hope he does well. Anyone else putting in work this offseason. I haven't looked into to much but he's the first one I've heard of who's really going at it. You figure with the season we had we'd hear this from a lot of players. I'm sure they are, we just don't know.

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I reject the notion that Rivera can't evaluate or use the talent we have.

First of all Gettleman is known for finding Jags and projects as well as underperforming vets and trying to ressurect their career. Ginn is a perfect example.

Rivera and these coaches are very good at developing players which is something we struggled doing under the previous regime. It seems most years we have had fruit basket turnover and constantly have to rebuild and reload which is why I think we historically get off to slow starts.

Why don't folks who huddlers think are awesome (like Brown) not get in to games over established vets? Because Rivera doesn't see the potential? Of course not or they wouldn't be here in the first place. It is likely that in practice they don't outshine the guy ahead of them. Contrary to popular belief, you don't learn to play in games, you learn to play in practice. Games are where you demonstrate what you learned in practice. 

Some players play better in games than they do in practice. Delhomme was one of those guys. Most don't. So if Philly doesn't perform in practice and then again in a game when he gets a chance, it won't be Rivera's fault it will be Philly's. If he does get in and play well it won't be Rivera's failure to evaluate him, it will be finally Philly is showing in a game what he can do after having some flashes in 2015 but not being consistent enough to grab reps from Funchess or Ginn. 

Honestly if we draft a few burners for the slot receiver he may struggle to make the team at all.  

It isn't just Rivera making roster and talent decisions but the coaches and GM working together. I don't think that a coaching staff known for being good teachers and developing players don't know how to evaluate what they have. It appears to be a non sequitur.  That just makes little sense. 

Ha! Ron and Dave aren't perfect at evaluating talent. Whay makes little sense is letying guys like Barnidge and Willie Snead---particularly when they fill a great need---shouldn't just slip through your fingers under any circumstances.

3 hours ago, thomas96 said:

Byrd made the roster this year (and stayed on it) over a lot of guys who we invested more in (Norwood, Hill, Bersin, Garrett, etc.). I'm not dismissing your point because there could be something to it to some degree but Byrd was a poor example. 

Damiere Byrd is the perfect example. That's why I made two distinctions, one about the 53 man roster, and one about the active roster.  

Yes, Byrd made the roster, but he didn't stay on it, he was cut! He was then put on the practice squad, only to be rostered late only for depth due to injury. Furthermore, while Ginn was leaving balls on the field---like he does so well---declining at returning, and Benjamin was seemingly somewhere in La-La Land half the time (and perhaps Brown, Funchess and Bersin to differing degrees), while the season was essentially over, Rivera couldn't find time to give Byrd a real opportunity. Gimme a break, man!

Archived