• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dalvin Cook might be "that guy" too.

top dawg

OK, I admittedly have been getting a little high on the Leonard Fournette Kool-Aid, so much so, that I've developed some assumptions based upon fantasy and not facts.  Being that David Newton's article questions whether Cook should be the RB picked, as opposed to Mel Kiper's pick of Fournette, I really started researching if Newton was off his rocker or onto something?

I must say that I was surprised when I compared stats of Cook, Fournette and Zeke Elliott. Cook was right there, and arguably better. His collegiate average from scrimmage was 7.0, while Zeke was at 6.8 and Fournette's, 6.6.  Cook's rushing average was 6.5 and receiving, 11.8.  Fournette was at 6.2 and 12.8, while Zeke, 6.7 and 7.7. I could bore you with yardage totals, but suffice it to say that after all is said and done, Cook had more production than either Fournette or Elliott. He was very involved in his offense.

Now I am not suggesting that Cook is better than Fournette, or more importantly, a better fit for the Panthers, or that he will be more efficient in the NFL. None of us can say that. Although some people may hate to admit it, but top to bottom the SEC probably is the toughest conference in college football with the most stout defenses, so the level of competition has to be taken into account (not that the ACC or Big Ten don't provide plenty of competition). Sure Zeke had an outstanding rookie year running behind probably the stoutest O-line as it pertains to run blocking in the NFL, but who is to say that Cook won't be the better back out of the three when all is said and done?

All I am saying is that when you look at the level of production, Cook just can't be overlooked and should be in the same conversation as Fournette and Zeke Elliott. Like Newton suggests, he is obviously adept at pass catching (as is Zeke), but it's not like Fournette can't catch at all. At 230 or 235 pounds and good speed, and looking at the amount of games Fournette played, yes, he's probably a monster. But a 215 lb Cook is not small. And, he might just become as prolific a pro as we have seen in a while as well. He certainly was at FSU.

8 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

He's not a power back.

I don't think our offense would fit him well, as talented as he is.

He won't be able to push through tacklers at the NFL level. Fournette fits more in our scheme than Cook ever would.

Why are you assuming that Cook "won't be able to push through tacklers at the NFL level?"

He gets good yards after contact, so I don't quite understand where you're coming from.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/nolesports/fsu/2017/01/04/florida-state-running-back-dalvin-cook-best-rusher-college-football-per-pff/96159334/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-10-toughest-rbs-to-tackle-in-college-football-fournette-mccaffrey/

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Why are you assuming that Cook "won't be able to push through tacklers at the NFL level?"

He gets good yards after contact, so I don't quite understand where you're coming from.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/nolesports/fsu/2017/01/04/florida-state-running-back-dalvin-cook-best-rusher-college-football-per-pff/96159334/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-10-toughest-rbs-to-tackle-in-college-football-fournette-mccaffrey/

Note "college level" 

There's a difference in speed and power between that and the NFL, and he barely gets through as it is. Not only that, but he has fumbling issues.

Here's some reference:

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017dcook.php

Weaknesses:

• Ball security
  • Must cut down on fumbles
  • His power and yards after contact will probably be diminished in the NFL

In the NFL thought, he won't be a power back. ...   a lack of a physical attitude isn't appealing to some ...  Some NFL teams might pull him in short-yardage situations for a bigger back and also to spare Cook some of the pounding

There are very few negatives to Cook as a player; however, he has a real problem with fumbles and ball security. Some of the fumbles were weird, fluky plays where he just dropped the ball without being hit. Cook did have some painful fumbles in his earlier seasons at Florida State as well. With the bigger, stronger and more skilled defenders in the NFL, teams are going to be trying hard to strip Cook of the ball as a rookie because he is known to have fumbling issues. Improving his ball security is critical for his success in the NFL as nothing gets a running back benched faster than repeated fumbles. 

Again, this just shows he won't be a power back. Sure, he'll shake off some tackles, but not much. He's just not that type of back, and would not fit with us at all.

Fournette is a far better prospect than him for our team by far.

I'd rather see us trade down and get Christian McCaffrey or grab an OT or DE in the first round and hope that McCaffrey is still available in the second.

Let me make my case for the young guy. He averaged 6.3 yards per rush, 8.4 yard per reception and handled kick off and punt return duties at the highest level of the game. He's coming out for the draft after his junior year with room to grow and develop, plus less wear and tear on his system.

He's smart and he's pretty much fearless. Could be the best return guy we've had since Smitty's early days. And he runs with a great flow.

As much as I'd love to have Fournette and think he'll be a monster wherever he goes, Cook fits our current offense much better. Cook is a much better shotgun runner and would be better for the zone read offense. Who knows how much our offense will change with the organization wanting to adapt the offense a little. 

That being said, I would love to have either of them and I think both will be stars in the NFL. I'd even be very happy with Foreman in the second round  

Just now, top dawg said:

It may not be his first choice (or any back's) but it certainly looks like he has some power to me.

Like I said, his body frame doesn't translate as a powerback in the NFL.

He sure would be a heck of a speed back, but he's just not someone who'd fit our offense.

18 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Note "college level" 

There's a difference in speed and power between that and the NFL, and he barely gets through as it is. Not only that, but he has fumbling issues.

Here's some reference:

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017dcook.php

Again, this just shows he won't be a power back. Sure, he'll shake off some tackles, but not much. He's just not that type of back, and would not fit with us at all.

Fournette is a far better prospect than him for our team by far.

I have read other scouting reports that didn't mention anything negative regarding power or body frame. I think that may be a reach by Walter Football. But I will concede that ball security is an absolutely legit concern.

Archived