• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dalvin Cook might be "that guy" too.

top dawg

18 hours ago, ncfan said:

Kid can do good  in a system like KC uses Charles as a all purpose guy.

Watch a ton of Noles games.  Live in South Florida, GF is a Alum/Noles Club member.  Our house is decked with noles stuff and naturally forced to watch every game.

Kid has Fantastic straight line speed.  Small no power and would do bad here though in power run system.  Kid May weigh in at 215 at the combine but has no where been that weight at FSU.  He bulked up to almost 207-208 this season (kid is under 205 soaking wet).  Lost a step when he got up to that weight (see being caught from behind by  some dbs this year on some long runs this year like the Michigan game)  Doesnt have the shiftyness like many rbs.  FSUs OL paves holes equivilent if not better than dallas's OL.  He may have 5 runs for 0-2 yards then fire through a massive hole for 20 yards on 1 play making his stats look great.  He does Block very well especially for a little guy.......but at a NFL level I dont see a little 205 lb RB doing well blocking in the NFL  where the guys are Way bigger, stronger and faster.  The One thing he has better than anyone is hands.  Could line up in the slot as a WR, can catch better than some of our WRs now.

This is what I've been saying. He's very much a boom or bust runner. Seems like he doesn't have very many of the 4-6 yard staple runs that you have to have to consistently keep the chains moving. It's nothing or 10+.

On January 20, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Khyber53 said:

I'd rather see us trade down and get Christian McCaffrey or grab an OT or DE in the first round and hope that McCaffrey is still available in the second.

Let me make my case for the young guy. He averaged 6.3 yards per rush, 8.4 yard per reception and handled kick off and punt return duties at the highest level of the game. He's coming out for the draft after his junior year with room to grow and develop, plus less wear and tear on his system.

He's smart and he's pretty much fearless. Could be the best return guy we've had since Smitty's early days. And he runs with a great flow.

How about Cook/Fournette and moving up from our 2nd round spot to get McCaffrey as a ST guy. That's some firepower there! Help Cam's load #1 plus adding a very talented ace for ST who is only going to get better.

IMO. If either is there get em'! Panthers have always valued RB's more than other teams. If you don't help Stew AND Cam the problems will be the same. We need to invest in a first round back NOW. Cook could reignite Stew in another Smash and Dash type tag team. Fournette is obviously a Stew replacement.

Add VETERAN OL to help your veteran QB who needs help now. Perhaps find guys that can play multiple OL positions.

22 hours ago, rippadonn said:

How about Cook/Fournette and moving up from our 2nd round spot to get McCaffrey as a ST guy. That's some firepower there! Help Cam's load #1 plus adding a very talented ace for ST who is only going to get better.

Here's the thing, I think he can be a lot more than just a ST ace. I think his style of running reminds me of an early DeAngelo Williams in the ability to shift and weave, yet still have power. Good receiver out of the back field, too. Pair him with JStew for a couple of seasons and we could really have something grand.

But hey, what do I know?

On 1/20/2017 at 4:13 PM, top dawg said:

OK, I admittedly have been getting a little high on the Leonard Fournette Kool-Aid, so much so, that I've developed some assumptions based upon fantasy and not facts.  Being that David Newton's article questions whether Cook should be the RB picked, as opposed to Mel Kiper's pick of Fournette, I really started researching if Newton was off his rocker or onto something?

I must say that I was surprised when I compared stats of Cook, Fournette and Zeke Elliott. Cook was right there, and arguably better. His collegiate average from scrimmage was 7.0, while Zeke was at 6.8 and Fournette's, 6.6.  Cook's rushing average was 6.5 and receiving, 11.8.  Fournette was at 6.2 and 12.8, while Zeke, 6.7 and 7.7. I could bore you with yardage totals, but suffice it to say that after all is said and done, Cook had more production than either Fournette or Elliott. He was very involved in his offense.

Now I am not suggesting that Cook is better than Fournette, or more importantly, a better fit for the Panthers, or that he will be more efficient in the NFL. None of us can say that. Although some people may hate to admit it, but top to bottom the SEC probably is the toughest conference in college football with the most stout defenses, so the level of competition has to be taken into account (not that the ACC or Big Ten don't provide plenty of competition). Sure Zeke had an outstanding rookie year running behind probably the stoutest O-line as it pertains to run blocking in the NFL, but who is to say that Cook won't be the better back out of the three when all is said and done?

All I am saying is that when you look at the level of production, Cook just can't be overlooked and should be in the same conversation as Fournette and Zeke Elliott. Like Newton suggests, he is obviously adept at pass catching (as is Zeke), but it's not like Fournette can't catch at all. At 230 or 235 pounds and good speed, and looking at the amount of games Fournette played, yes, he's probably a monster. But a 215 lb Cook is not small. And, he might just become as prolific a pro as we have seen in a while as well. He certainly was at FSU.

I've said it multiple times here already.

Cook will be a DeAngelo Williams type player in the NFL. Give him a good line that opens big holes and allows him to get to the second level relatively fast, and you'll get a few decent years out of him. He does have breakaway ability, especially if there is a hole there.

That said, this is the big leagues (as the saying goes.) Not only that, but it is a passing league, and running games have evolved to be more outside and more of a WCO based ground game. The Panthers have failed because we're still using a battering ram attack up the gut for the most part, and speed on the edge and in the middle of opposing defenses makes it really hard to use that type of attack.

Not only would Dalvin Cook being on the Panthers be a waste, because he doesn't fit the type of running game we incorporate, but he also won't find much success in the NFL, nor longevity. He'll end up dancing behind inadequate lines looking for a hole, taking losses on blown up gaps, and getting 10-20 yard runs maybe 1/8 touches. He'll be decent in the short pass game, but you can bet safeties or fast LBs or DEs will be manning up on him or spying him, treatment much like scrambling QBs get.

Fournette, on the other hand, is the more upright, between the tackles, cutback type of guy our offense needs. His vision is far superior to Cook's, and he has the combination of size, speed, moves, etc. that will make him more comparable to backs like Elliot and AP in his prime find in today's NFL.

Yes, Cook will probably go in the first round. Good for him for earning that for himself. But, FSU's line is pretty damned good (Rod Johnson is my top LT prospect) and their offense is designed to allow Cook to have success at the collegiate level.

I wouldn't take Dalvin Cook in the third round for the Panthers. The same goes for Christian McCaffrey. I just feel like both those guys had success in college that won't translate to the NFL, and especially the Panthers. Yes, they are talented athletes, but they won't be able to do the things they do in college, unless they land somewhere with good coordinators, which we clearly don't have.

19 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I've said it multiple times here already.

Cook will be a DeAngelo Williams type player in the NFL. Give him a good line that opens big holes and allows him to get to the second level relatively fast, and you'll get a few decent years out of him. He does have breakaway ability, especially if there is a hole there.

That said, this is the big leagues (as the saying goes.) Not only that, but it is a passing league, and running games have evolved to be more outside and more of a WCO based ground game. The Panthers have failed because we're still using a battering ram attack up the gut for the most part, and speed on the edge and in the middle of opposing defenses makes it really hard to use that type of attack.

Not only would Dalvin Cook being on the Panthers be a waste, because he doesn't fit the type of running game we incorporate, but he also won't find much success in the NFL, nor longevity. He'll end up dancing behind inadequate lines looking for a hole, taking losses on blown up gaps, and getting 10-20 yard runs maybe 1/8 touches. He'll be decent in the short pass game, but you can bet safeties or fast LBs or DEs will be manning up on him or spying him, treatment much like scrambling QBs get.

Fournette, on the other hand, is the more upright, between the tackles, cutback type of guy our offense needs. His vision is far superior to Cook's, and he has the combination of size, speed, moves, etc. that will make him more comparable to backs like Elliot and AP in his prime find in today's NFL.

Yes, Cook will probably go in the first round. Good for him for earning that for himself. But, FSU's line is pretty damned good (Rod Johnson is my top LT prospect) and their offense is designed to allow Cook to have success at the collegiate level.

I wouldn't take Dalvin Cook in the third round for the Panthers. The same goes for Christian McCaffrey. I just feel like both those guys had success in college that won't translate to the NFL, and especially the Panthers. Yes, they are talented athletes, but they won't be able to do the things they do in college, unless they land somewhere with good coordinators, which we clearly don't have.

Just to let you and everyone else know, my four top players (that realistically may be on the clock) at this point are Leonard Fournette, Jamal Adams, Corey Davis and Garrett Bolles. This may change depending upon the workouts and Combine, and even who we pick up in FA, but right now those are my four guys. Cook would end up somewhere else if I'm picking.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:21 PM, rippadonn said:

You're wasting McCaffrey if you only use him on special teams, especially considering how poo our special teams overall has been over the last few years. What makes McCaffrey so good is that he is a great threat receiving and running the ball and can be used in various offensive formations. He doesn't have the pure power of Fournette (who knows if his strength will translate to the NFL) or the strait line quickness of Cook , but he is more elusive and well rounded in skillset than either of them.

For all those reasons McCaffrey isn't projected to go below the top 5 of the second round. Right now he could go anywhere from mid first round to the top of the second. I could see us moving up to select him possibly IF he makes it to the 2nd round . Or the Panthers could actually trade down a few spots , pick up an extra 2nd or extra 3rd or something, and pick McCaffrey later in the 1st round.

Technically we could get him at 8 although its highly unlikely. Fournette might be taken by 8 admittedly. I don't see the Panthers valuing McCaffrey higher than Cook because of Cook's speed but you never know. For all you know the Panthers may have not even be considering McCaffrey at all because he's not known for a power running style that suits our system and current oline abilities. We don't use a lot of outside runs or passes to the halfback for that matter, if the Panthers resfuse to use his whole skill set and make him a one dimensional up the gut runner like stew then its just a waste and they are better of getting Fournette in the 1st or Foreman in the 2nd or 3rd.

On 1/23/2017 at 11:57 AM, top dawg said:

Just to let you and everyone else know, my four top players (that realistically may be on the clock) at this point are Leonard Fournette, Jamal Adams, Corey Davis and Garrett Bolles. This may change depending upon the workouts and Combine, and even who we pick up in FA, but right now those are my four guys. Cook would end up somewhere else if I'm picking.

Would Corey Davis really be worth it? What is it that he excells at, he must be a great all around receivers that's nice I suppose. What we're really misssing is YOUNG SPEED in WR , if he doesnt have that we're better trading down a little to pick up John Ross or picking up DeDe Westbrook in the 2nd or 3rd round (debated whether either of them is the fastest one coming out of college this year, would love to have either of them).

I suppose if Davis is a really good all rounder that gets good YAC despite not being known for speed, then it'd be a good pick. I know we don't have a definite #1 receiver so there's that too, if he's good I don't see how it'll be too hard to beat out an aging Ginn and an inconsistent Funchess.

My top players right now probably :

1) Myles Garrett (you never know look what happened to Tunsil)

2) Jamal Adams

3) Leonard Fournette

4) John Ross

In my mind if you are the Panthers, you try your best not to reach with such a high pick. you have the entire rest of the draft at positions we are stacked at Linebacker, Defensive Tackle, and getting any DEs (not named Garrett) and any CBs that high is stupidity in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Would Corey Davis really be worth it? What is it that he excells at, he must be a great all around receivers that's nice I suppose. What we're really misssing is YOUNG SPEED in WR , if he doesnt have that we're better trading down a little to pick up John Ross or picking up DeDe Westbrook in the 2nd or 3rd round (debated whether either of them is the fastest one coming out of college this year, would love to have either of them).

I suppose if Davis is a really good all rounder that gets good YAC despite not being known for speed, then it'd be a good pick. I know we don't have a definite #1 receiver so there's that too, if he's good I don't see how it'll be too hard to beat out an aging Ginn and an inconsistent Funchess.

Corey Davis 40 time is 4.48 right now. Not a speed receiver per se, but good speed (Can't wait to see what he runs at the Combine/ Pro Day. The thing I like about Davis is that just about everything I've read says he has legit number 1 potential. Sure, he played  against lesser competition, but the fact is that when he played against the big boys, he still produced. It might be a bit unbelievable, but Charlie Campbell's scouting report is not that far off from others. Davis needs to improve on blocking, and maybe timing his jumps to highpoint the ball. Of course he needs to learn to use his physicality, blah blah blah. But here is Campbell's scouting report:

Strengths:

Superb run-after-the-catch skills

Consistent play-maker

Great route-runner; sudden out of breaks

Quick release off of the line

Great hands

Deceptive speed

Can challenge defenses vertically

Breaks tackles; gets yards after contact

Good red-zone weapon

Wins 50-50 passes

Vertical jump; leaping ability

Has the strength to out-fight defensive backs

Rarely ever drops a pass

Physical

Tracks the ball well

Late hands

Excellent body control

Long arms

Attacks the football

Sneaky push-off skills

High points the ball well

Adept at finding soft spots in zone

Quality size

Gritty player; plays with an attitude

Ready to contribute quickly

Quality blocker

Durable, plays hurt

Weaknesses:

Not overly fast

Not big

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017cdavis.ph

On 1/20/2017 at 5:03 PM, panthers34 said:

As much as I'd love to have Fournette and think he'll be a monster wherever he goes, Cook fits our current offense much better. Cook is a much better shotgun runner and would be better for the zone read offense. Who knows how much our offense will change with the organization wanting to adapt the offense a little. 

That being said, I would love to have either of them and I think both will be stars in the NFL. I'd even be very happy with Foreman in the second round  

Not bad choice but I think Jags could take him as the 1st RB, they have a good connection with Florida State.

Archived