• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dalvin Cook might be "that guy" too.

top dawg

When making comparisons of college players you have to take the team / type of offense ran into account. Florida State and OSU both were stacked teams with legit shots at championships with high powered offenses. LSU had a struggling offense without a QB.

Put Fournette on OSU or Fstate and his production would be incredible. 

Although his injury history is a concern, Fournette is a rare talent that will be very hard to pass up. As much as I'd like to see him on the Panthers I don't think he will make it to number 8.

While I love learning about the talent that is available in the draft, I honestly don't get caught up with which players i like more.  

Doesn't matter who I like, they generally aren't available when we pick, or the Panthers just pick someone else.

The exception was the year we got Stew, I was wishing we didn't have D. Williams, because of how much I wanted him to be a Panther.   I was shocked when the Panthers picked him. 

Anyways, I feel this years draft has more talent in it than last years. That bodes very well for us.

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

He's not a power back.

I don't think our offense would fit him well, as talented as he is.

He won't be able to push through tacklers at the NFL level. Fournette fits more in our scheme than Cook ever would.

This isn't meant as sarcasm but would Shula even know how to use a guy that isn't a power back? Our backfield is already pretty much one dimensional as it is with only 69 pass attempts to running backs all year with only 44 completions. There were 12 running backs with more than that number total and at least another 10 within 10 of our team total. I think the kid has a ton of potential, but if we aren't going to use 30-40% of his skill set, what the hell is the point in drafting him?

The reason why Stewart has so much importance for our offense is because he runs violently. We want to wear out a defense with the power run game and when they are gassed, we take big shots to try to get a big lead. Dalvin Cook is a very, very good back and he will be successful. However, if given the choice, we have to choose Fournette. He is just a better fit. This isn't to say that Cook couldn't have success here, he could. But our offensive philosophy would have to change in order to maximize his ability. Cook is on our board for sure. But I guarantee Fournette is higher up based on what we want in a back.

Kid can do good  in a system like KC uses Charles as a all purpose guy.

Watch a ton of Noles games.  Live in South Florida, GF is a Alum/Noles Club member.  Our house is decked with noles stuff and naturally forced to watch every game.

Kid has Fantastic straight line speed.  Small no power and would do bad here though in power run system.  Kid May weigh in at 215 at the combine but has no where been that weight at FSU.  He bulked up to almost 207-208 this season (kid is under 205 soaking wet).  Lost a step when he got up to that weight (see being caught from behind by  some dbs this year on some long runs this year like the Michigan game)  Doesnt have the shiftyness like many rbs.  FSUs OL paves holes equivilent if not better than dallas's OL.  He may have 5 runs for 0-2 yards then fire through a massive hole for 20 yards on 1 play making his stats look great.  He does Block very well especially for a little guy.......but at a NFL level I dont see a little 205 lb RB doing well blocking in the NFL  where the guys are Way bigger, stronger and faster.  The One thing he has better than anyone is hands.  Could line up in the slot as a WR, can catch better than some of our WRs now.

8 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I'd rather see us trade down and get Christian McCaffrey or grab an OT or DE in the first round and hope that McCaffrey is still available in the second.

Let me make my case for the young guy. He averaged 6.3 yards per rush, 8.4 yard per reception and handled kick off and punt return duties at the highest level of the game. He's coming out for the draft after his junior year with room to grow and develop, plus less wear and tear on his system.

He's smart and he's pretty much fearless. Could be the best return guy we've had since Smitty's early days. And he runs with a great flow.

Pac 12 defense

Pretty much every mock draft on the planet has McCafrey going to the Patriots at the end of round  1 . He does seem the like the most versatile player out of the top 3 running backs, but I don't see the Panthers skipping Fournette and Cook for him. McCafrey would make a great second round pick but the chances are slim to none he will escape the end of the 1st and the beginning of the 2nd .

That is some really interesting analysis NC FAN . I honestly dont know how good either Fournette or Cook would do on our team. Its possible like you say that Cook just won't be productive with our oline isn't going to be busting gigantic holes every drive like Dallas' does. But then again Fournettes performance against top tier defenses is kinda worrying. IDK about his injury history, AP had injury problems (and still has them) but still tore up the league anyway.

12 hours ago, top dawg said:

I have read other scouting reports that didn't mention anything negative regarding power or body frame. I think that may be a reach by Walter Football. But I will concede that ball security is an absolutely legit concern.

People talking about Cook's size being inadequate are talking out of their ass.

18 hours ago, Adb6368 said:

If Fournette really can run a 4.3 he will not be on the board at 8 and if we want a RB it will be Cook. 

No we'll trade up for a guy like that. Period, you have to.  You need your Julio's and Adrian petersons. No way you pass up an opportunity to trade up like that. Even if it's swapping picks and giving up a 1st next year and one of our thirds 

Archived