• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I feel like Jonathan Stewart may restructure

Jeremy Igo

30 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

he's a rb and he's 30 guys for fugs sake, he isn't getting a lot of money anywhere. he'll take a deal here as opposed to taking poultry somewhere else

I already said was my money was on Gettlemen forcing him to restructure and setting it up so that next year will be his last.

I just think it is realistic that Stewart is offered such a crappy deal he refuses.

Matt Forte just got 9 million guaranteed at the age of 30 on the streets.  Guaranteed money is what matters to old guys.  Rest is smoke and mirrors.

3 hours ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

See the thing you're missing is that no team is going to allow him to "bring in the money" - every other team also knows this draft is extremely deep at RB - he wouldn't get any less here than anywhere else, cause he isn't getting a big pay day anywhere

Just look at how it played out for 30 year old pass rusher CJ last year, nobody would offer him poo, so he just assume come back here and take poo

Ain't like Stewart is an elite Super Star QB who is now entering twilight of his career and will get one last big contract, no, no, no

I just dropped by to say that the Giants offered CJ 8mil last year. He took 5mil less to stay here.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

why?  Stewart is a Hurney guy.  What happens to Hurney guys when it appears they are nearing the end?  Does Dave Gettlemen care about all this feel good "player X should never wear another jersey" stuff?

Pretty sure Dave setup the departure of Kasay, Gross, Williams, Smith, etc.  Could even included dudes like Beason.  Gettlemen isn't attached to these core Hurney guys.

The only player I think Dave would be forced to respect how his career ends is Thomas Davis.  That's it.

Gman is going on his 4th year. This is his team now. These are his guys. He is going to do what he feels is the best for the team. I just don't think it matters anymore who is a Hurndog guy, or who isn't.

If Gman, and Stewy, both want to work something out, they will.

Also, Stewy has made a good amount of money throughout his career. He is at a point where he can, if he so chooses, play for less. Or, he can restructure to help the team. He has options, precisely because he has made a lot of money so far.

3 hours ago, Mvp2014 said:

That speed will continue to diminish is my point.  He used to have break away speed 2-3 years ago.  Freeing up some weight could not only make him quicker but also less likely to get injured.  

Stewy has been at 235 since College. He is just a big guy, and it is all muscle. He couldn't lose much weight, and still be effective. Trying to turn Stewy into some sort of scat back would be counterintuitive to who he is. And why would losing 15 or so LBs make him less likely to get hurt?

He was never a burner, but he still has plenty of speed.

3 hours ago, panther4life said:

I almost feel like we will cut him. His current cap number is due to a restructure Gettleman did. The one he signed under Hurney would have already expired at this point.

He's def not worth the 8.25 million cap hit he has. If there was no dead money incurred cutting him would be a no brainer. Unfortunately the dead money makes it a more complicated matter. Are we better served having him for 1 year at 8.25 million or cutting him now and paying him 3.5 to be here? The savings = 4.75 million.

At this point id take the 4.75 million and allocate towards extensions for Short,Star, and Turner/ roll it into next year/spend it elsewhere.

http://overthecap.com/player/jonathan-stewart/1175/

In a way you need to include next years dead money into this year's cost since next year is a voidable year.

If you do that the question becomes:

Stewart playing this year will cost 9.75m in cap space over the next 2 years.  He is not obligated to play here next year.  8.25m this year and 1.5m next year.

or

cut him now and you have a cap charge of $3.5m

For the past few years I was convinced that he would be cut this year.  After this past season though he might not.  We have enough needs to not be creating new ones.  By keeping him that would free the team up to draft some other positons and we can always address RB next year. 

I really don't see them doing the type of restructure where they convert salary to bonus and spreading it out.  That just pushes cap down the road which is what DG has been cleaning up since he arrived.  It might be a CJ type of situation, basically a pay cut.  Think of it as being cut and resigning at a lower amount.  They could do something like 2yrs/8m with a small signing bonus or some roster bonuses.  In theory that would lower his 2017 number somewhat but also give the team some flexibility if they end up drafting a RB.

No player is going to volunteer for a pay cut.  Sometimes they have to shop around first.

What do you all think he would get on the open market?

Archived