• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I feel like Jonathan Stewart may restructure

Jeremy Igo

Like someone else mentioned, his cap hit is not bad at all in the finial year of his contract. I don't fear he'll be a cap causality at all, we just don't need the minimal savings it would give us. 

I'm also confident he'd sign an extension, that would able him to retire a Panther,  if he desires. 

We definitely need to draft a RB more capable than CAP.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Just a gut feeling. The Panthers could take his current salary due, turn it into a bonus and prorate it a few years.

I feel like Stewart wants to stay in Carolina. If you keep up with his social media, he has a lady, a baby on the way, and posted pictures of the blueprints for the charlotte home he is building.

A guy doing those things probably isn't interested in moving anytime soon.

What say you? Extend 3 years to a cap friendly deal, let him retire when he wants?

I like Stewart.  Always have as a RB.

But I don't endorse kicking the can down the road w/ him.   Given I doubt Gettlemen is going to go crazy and eat up all our cap space....based on his age and health I'd rather just eat his salary this year.  Then part ways.

If we had less cap room than I anticipate we will likely have then I might feel like we have no choice.  But I don't want to kick the can and then have Dave sitting on all that cap space.

after this next season he will then be a 31 yr old RB with a career of nagging injuries.  I'd part with him after that.  Focus by then should of been to of rebuilt our backfield.

and people don't like that talk about guys they like...but in reality there are VERY VERY VERY few players who should play every year of there career with one team.  The ones who should likely are the ones who retire early (like a Gross).  Sitting on old guys for sentimental reasons also delays you from building your roster the way you should.  That doesn't mean Stewart couldn't play at 31...but the value of him (or a comparable player on another team) at 31 would be for a team picking him up cheap not the team holding on to him.

but given how much I universally like Stewart.  I wouldn't complain as much as I normally would

Just a gut feeling. The Panthers could take his current salary due, turn it into a bonus and prorate it a few years.

I feel like Stewart wants to stay in Carolina. If you keep up with his social media, he has a lady, a baby on the way, and posted pictures of the blueprints for the charlotte home he is building.

What say you? Extend 3 years to a cap friendly deal, let him retire when he wants?

1 hour ago, SJTG4 said:

ORR we can draft Leonard and let the chips fall where they may can't show loyalty to a fault 

Yes I agree as I mentioned use more of the  2 back formation and let J-Stew handle all the vet duty. 

Opposing defenses  will be worn out and allow Panthers to control the tempo of the game.

We need to use combo like Atl does

The days of restructuring contracts and kicking the can down the road (future dead money) should be a thing of the past. We have the cap space to not have to do that. The guy is either worth his cap figure or he's not.

Whether he is worth or not depends on a few factor's that are hard to quantify at this point. We should not ignore a better value in free agency or in the draft because he's currently on the roster. 

If I were Gettleman, I'd approach him about taking a pay cut, no restructure. I'd let him know if we find better value in free agency or the draft then it will put him at risk for being cut late in the offseason. 

From Stewart's standpoint, he'd have to decide if he'd gamble on us replacing him and being stuck looking for a home after the initial free agency wave or agree to the paycut now to remain with us. 

4 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

Stewart's definitely going to restructure for a bargain

+ a drafted RB and we have a really cheap backfield that isnt void of a veteran presence

why would he definitely restructure?  a bargain?

that ain't life.  You do realize this front office has set a tone for how they deal with players.  You think players are just randomly going to do Gettlemen a solid for the sake of his future team.  Stewart is nearing the end of the line in terms of his ability to bring in money.  He ain't going to just say....sure, I'll take a huge paycut Dave. 

Whatever happens...IMO won't be real pleasant.

Of course he would restructure. It means he gets paid more of his money up front and could mean an extension if we decide he can be useful for a few more years. His yards per carry might be slightly down but he seems to be running just as hard as ever. It was a real feat to do as well as he did this year behind the wreck of the line he had.

We need to keep Stewart and we NEED to draft a RB this year. There's just no excuse with how talented this class of RBs is. 

If we draft Fournette that will be cool, but there are so many gems hidden later in this draft we should easily be able to walk away with one if not two guys that could help our team. 

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

aire apparent

heir....sorry =P

He's still a good player.  This year was just a poo year.  We do know he will get hurt, but when he's healthy, he's a great player.  Playing those early years with DWill have left some tread on the tires.  IF we can get back to being the 2015 instead of the 2016 Panthers, I think he can have a few more productive years before he hangs his cleats up.

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

Contrary to what people expect on here we will restructure with him and draft a RB in later rounds. The Panthers have not given up on CAP either and he could be the aire apparent. 

Hmmmm I mean I can't dispute this because I don't know but CAP has been inactive so much over the first two years of his career it's hard to imagine him being a big part of our future. But this is definitely something to earmark 

Archived