• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I feel like Jonathan Stewart may restructure

Jeremy Igo

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Just a gut feeling. The Panthers could take his current salary due, turn it into a bonus and prorate it a few years.

I feel like Stewart wants to stay in Carolina. If you keep up with his social media, he has a lady, a baby on the way, and posted pictures of the blueprints for the charlotte home he is building.

A guy doing those things probably isn't interested in moving anytime soon.

What say you? Extend 3 years to a cap friendly deal, let him retire when he wants?

I sure hope so.  The quiet warrior is always fun to watch.  See any kung fu movie

In a perfect world, I'd love to keep Stewart.

I've been one of the main voices here saying his days are likely numbered. But if they can get his cap hit this year trimmed down to a negligible impact versus signing someone like Latavius Murray with that money, then I'm all for it.

His age and durability aren't in his favor, but I think his role in the locker room and when he is finding success on the field counters well.

IF we keep him, it frees us up to take Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Jonathan Allen, Jabril Peppers, Reuben Foster, Mike Williams, etc. at #8. I'd still like to get Fournette, but it won't be as necessary. We could be holding out hope that D'Onta Foreman or another good back will be there at #40 to pair with Stewart if he stays, but I honestly think we'll use #40 (or whatever our second pick ends up being) to take Rod Johnson or Ryan Ramczyk, if they fall further than expected. #8 is way too high for either of them, or an OT period, and I expect they'll (along with Robinson) start coming off the board in the late teens to mid twenties.

We could very well go Offense with our first two picks, even if we somehow keep Stewart.

Also of note, if we keep Stewart, I think chances are good that Tolbert stays, too... so I don't know how many of you feel about that.

To me it makes far too much sense, to re-structure/extend Stewart, and to draft Fournette, or Cook, as the future lead back. In the modern NFL ''passing teams'' can find HB's at a dime a dozen rate because it's not a focal point of the offense, it's an accessory. 

However, we are not a modern NFL passing team, we still feature the ground game, and we DO NOT have a great offensive line. So to do what we want, premiere talent is required as we move on from Stewart in time, and look to limit Cam's carries. 

1 minute ago, L-TownCat said:

The guy has really changed my mind.  I used to put Stews deal right up there with DWills, but now watching him carry the load is a pleasure.

I don't even consider his money anymore.  His play is just fun to watch.

Same.  His deal is overpriced but only bc of injury problems IMO.  Dude is a beast when healthy and when our offense is actually threatening the other team with a passing attack.  I would love to see Stew restructure and get down to 215-220

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

What about Tolbert's role do you think that Stewart (on a lesser deal) couldn't do as well? I'd love to see Stewart slide into that role, prolong his shelf life for a few years and still get our future RB (like Fournette).

Oh I agree with you, I want Fournette even if Stewie stays.

But I just think that Tolbert is the same kind of locker room guy that Stewart is, and that we'd rather go down fighting with a known quality at FB than try to depend on Stewart to fill the role or find someone else... especially over only $1.5 Mil in cap space (savings by cutting Tolbert.)

I mean, we're not even firing Shula and McDermott's gone... Apparently I know less than I think I know, lol.

I've been preaching this.  Take 4.5 mil of his 2017 salary and convert it to bonus - add a dummy year - Stew's cap hit drops to under 6 mil. or so in 2017 and even lower in 2018-2019.  Then draft Fournette if available, or an heir apparent in the third and we're set.  Stew can rotate in as his health allows and we don't cut a lifetime panther that has been and will continue to be a tremendous ambassador for us.

No point in restructuring Stew's contract. He is only making $6M next year which is a good amount for a RB of his age and production but not that overpaid. Also, we have like $70-80M in cap space for next year. What's the point in creating a couple million more in cap room by pushing it down the road? If we want to keep him then just keep him. We aren't hurting for cap space.

Just now, grimesgoat said:

I've been preaching this.  Take 4.5 mil of his 2017 salary and convert it to bonus - add a dummy year - Stew's cap hit drops to under 6 mil. or so in 2017 and even lower in 2018-2019.  Then draft Fournette if available, or an heir apparent in the third and we're set.  Stew can rotate in as his health allows and we don't cut a lifetime panther that has been and will continue to be a tremendous ambassador for us.

This is actually what had me leaning towards him being a cap casualty. If Gettleman can cut Steve Smtih, then nobody is safe.

TBQH JStew hasn't been some "tremendous ambassador" for us, in my opinion. He's done what was asked of him, yes, and given us great highlights over the years along the way. He's done his job, absolutely. But I don't know many of our guys, outside Newton and Olsen, that are in the limelight enough to be considered some sort of face of the franchise.

4 minutes ago, Bartin said:

No point in restructuring Stew's contract. He is only making $6M next year which is a good amount for a RB of his age and production but not that overpaid. Also, we have like $70-80M in cap space for next year. What's the point in creating a couple million more in cap room by pushing it down the road?

I think he could easily play 2 more years, particularly is he is rotating.  If so, spreading his cap hit makes sense (to me anyway).  The extra 3 mil this year in cap reduction could come in handy.

5 minutes ago, Bronn said:

This is actually what had me leaning towards him being a cap casualty. If Gettleman can cut Steve Smtih, then nobody is safe.

TBQH JStew hasn't been some "tremendous ambassador" for us, in my opinion. He's done what was asked of him, yes, and given us great highlights over the years along the way. He's done his job, absolutely. But I don't know many of our guys, outside Newton and Olsen, that are in the limelight enough to be considered some sort of face of the franchise.

Maybe "tremendous" was pushing it, but the guy is a warrior, doesn't run his mouth, just comes to work, and plays hard.  I'm thinking beyond the next 12 months.  As a popular and successful player, he may be asked to address a number of issues reflecting positively or negatively on the panther brand for years to come.  Cutting him instead of working something out may be short-sighted and lead to unnecessary scars or bitterness.  I'd rather work something out that benefits all parties.

Archived