• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks to be promoted to DC pending McDermott hire

Agent856

1 hour ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

does anyone know how wilks might differ from mcdermott and/or rivera philosophically? i mean yeah it's ron's defense and all but could we expect anything different with his promotion based on comments or history? idk anything about him other than what's on wikipedia

We tend to let teams move all the way to the redzone then tighten up and force feild goals.  Bend dont break.  I get it but i would like to see steve bring a more aggressive approach before the teams make it to the 20.  If we can stop them on one 20 why not the other?

3 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

Hes better than McDermott to be honest

There's no way to know this. He's never been a coordinator in the NFL. Being a good position coach isn't guaranteed to translate to being a good coordinator. In Wilks case, I hope he does well though.

1 minute ago, cptx said:

I get what you are saying, but it is a whole lot easier to defend the short field inside your own 20.

No doubt.  Its just hard to watch knowing we have the talent to press and be aggressive.  As bad as those corners started out they looked damn good down the stretch.  Boston...welp.  

Just my take on it.

Just now, motocross_cat said:

No doubt.  Its just hard to watch knowing we have the talent to press and be aggressive.  As bad as those corners started out they looked damn good down the stretch.  Boston...welp.  

Just my take on it.

I totally agree.

5 hours ago, Agent856 said:

Full Text: I'm told that #Panthers assistant head coach/secondary Steve Wilks is expected to be promoted as the team's defensive coordinator pending Sean McDermott's departure to Buffalo to become the Bills' head coach. Wilks has always been known to be Ron Rivera's defensive coordinator in waiting.

This will definitely help change the play calling up and  scheme it better for the secondary players.

We should see more of  man-zone plays and use Bradberry;s nstincts & athleticism 

6 hours ago, Ship said:

Very excited to see how he does. He is one of the best coaches in the NFL (I think) and I hope he doesn't move up to being a HC too  quickly, because he has the chops for that too.

I'll be interested to see if he brings in some new faces even beyond replacing guys that McD takes with him.

I'm excited to see his take on Rivera's base defense. 

I give it two years with a top defense and he will be gone.  Especially since the NFL pushes minority hiring so much.  This would make one team very happy and the NFL can chest beat another minority hiring.  

LOL Wilks who has never been coordinator before in the NFL is better than a proven coordinator who got a HC position....I like him as much as anyone but you people are beyond laughable. It's no wonder half the world can believe in sky daddy with no evidence or proof...seems to happen in all walks of life...just believing in poo 'cuz i wanna'.

Our defense is going to be better next year because our corners have another TC and an entire year of experience...add in Luke being healthy and a defensive draft that we always have...of course it's going to be better...still trying to get an answer too...so is it Rivera's defense or not? need to know who to give credit to when our defense is even better next year due to obvious non DC related reasons.

12 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

LOL Wilks who has never been coordinator before in the NFL is better than a proven coordinator who got a HC position....I like him as much as anyone but you people are beyond laughable. It's no wonder half the world can believe in sky daddy with no evidence or proof...seems to happen in all walks of life...just believing in poo 'cuz i wanna'.

Our defense is going to be better next year because our corners have another TC and an entire year of experience...add in Luke being healthy and a defensive draft that we always have...of course it's going to be better...still trying to get an answer too...so is it Rivera's defense or not? need to know who to give credit to when our defense is even better next year due to obvious non DC related reasons.

Wilks was sought out as a potential HC for the Rams. 

Say what you want about that, but he is clearly regarded outside of this fanbase.

Archived