• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott to Buffalo Bills

Jeremy Igo

56 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Heard on the news here that McDermott asked for A LOT in terms of control of the roster and other things in order to take the job. They seem to think it's going to bring a shift in power to the organization.

Did he, now?

he-man-i-have-the-power-o.gif

I'm always leery about giving a head coach too much power, though. It doesn't usually end well.

15 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

Did he, now?

he-man-i-have-the-power-o.gif

I'm always leery about giving a head coach too much power, though. It doesn't usually end well.

From what I have heard the last couple of days. It is not so much the power he wanted. He just wanted assurances that that Organization, which has been a mess the last few years, will give him the resources he needs. That they were working towards stabilizing the franchise, and working towards getting the Bills back to relevance.

He doesn't want GM power, at least not from what I have heard. And honestly, he isn't ready for that anyway.

He just wants to make sure he has input on how things are to be run. Pretty much what any coach going to that team would want. Stability within the Org., and a say in how the football team will move forward.

33 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

From what I have heard the last couple of days. It is not so much the power he wanted. He just wanted assurances that that Organization, which has been a mess the last few years, will give him the resources he needs. That they were working towards stabilizing the franchise, and working towards getting the Bills back to relevance.

He doesn't want GM power, at least not from what I have heard. And honestly, he isn't ready for that anyway.

He just wants to make sure he has input on how things are to be run. Pretty much what any coach going to that team would want. Stability within the Org., and a say in how the football team will move forward.

Either way, it doesn't sound good. Sounds like McDermott understands the situation but assurances don't mean much if they aren't adhered to.

1 minute ago, outlaw4 said:

Either way, it doesn't sound good. Sounds like McDermott understands the situation but assurances don't mean much if they aren't adhered to.

Oh come on. He would not have taken the job if he thought they were not going to turn things around. He may want to be a HC, but he is not dumb enough to think that going to the Bills, as they were being run, would be anything but a mistake.

I mean, dang. Give the guy some credit. He took on that job knowing what the Bills have been. He took that job to turn things around. And he would not have taken it without assurances that they were just as serious as he was. The Bills had to prove to any Coaching candidate that they were serious. Because, who would go there if they were just going to be the same ol' Bills?

It's a win, win for McD. If he turns things around. He is a hero. If he fails, people will say, same old Bills. And he may get a pass.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:43 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

Bills hired Sean McDermott as their new head coach.

While both have defensive backgrounds, McDermott seems to be about the polar opposite of his predecessor, Rex Ryan. McDermott isn't bringing the flash and flare to Buffalo only to see empty promises follow. The 43-year-old (in March) has been a defensive coordinator for the past eight seasons, working under Andy Reid and legendary DC Jim Johnson in Philadelphia before becoming Ron Rivera's right-hand man in Carolina. He's fully expected to switch Buffalo to a 4-3 front, an idea the Bills' players have been clamoring for since Ryan was fired. McDermott has never been a head coach at any level. Nailing his offensive coordinator choice will be important. He's expected to give ex-Chargers coach Mike McCoy a ring.
Related: Panthers

I hope he does the opposite of Ron, hire the best OC he can find and if they suck, he fire them unlike Ron.

45 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Oh come on. He would not have taken the job if he thought they were not going to turn things around. He may want to be a HC, but he is not dumb enough to think that going to the Bills, as they were being run, would be anything but a mistake.

I mean, dang. Give the guy some credit. He took on that job knowing what the Bills have been. He took that job to turn things around. And he would not have taken it without assurances that they were just as serious as he was. The Bills had to prove to any Coaching candidate that they were serious. Because, who would go there if they were just going to be the same ol' Bills?

It's a win, win for McD. If he turns things around. He is a hero. If he fails, people will say, same old Bills. And he may get a pass.

From a situation standpoint, I'd probably take the Bills job over the Rams or Chargers. If he is fortunate, the Patriots may finally stumble within the next few years as well. Honestly, the risk isn't as high since failure usually means going back to a coordinator/position coach elsewhere.

I suppose my gut feeling is that McDermott's fate will be similar to another guy we once had, Mike McCoy. He had his shortcomings but his organization was certainly not the best.

Archived