• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott to Buffalo Bills

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

I'd be more concerned about kuechly's health and our situation at safety and DE than I am losing mcdermott

Sent from my SM-N920V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

This. McD was a great hire for us and he's done nothing but improve this defense with his schemes and his knowledge from Jim Johnson. 

I was more impressed with what he did the last 2 years than what he did in '16, and think that the DL and DB coaches had just as much to do with his success lately than just Sean himself.  Throw in Rivera's defensive background, and I agree that it will suck to lose McD, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

Now, if he runs off to Buffalo with Wilks AND Washington..... I'd be more concerned. RR is very loyal to his circle and would be apprehensive as to who he would want running his defense. McDermott was a brilliant mind on the rise that was getting some potential HC down the line chatter when we brought him in. It wasn't a matter of "if" but "when" with McD. 

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

I really don't understand all the panic.  McDermott has never consistently fielded great defenses, yet people on here are acting like we are losing one of the best DC in the NFL.  His defenses have ranked:

2011 - 27th

2012 - 18th

2013 - 2nd

2014 - 21st

2015 - 6th

2016 - 26th 

Out of 6 seasons here, 4 have been far below average in the NFL.  Before coming here, his defense was awful in Philadelphia.  If we can criticize Shula and Rivera for subpar performances, than why are we freaking out over losing a DC who has mostly been subpar?  

LOL ahh it's not Rivera's defense when we bring out the facts huh?

So which one is it?  Is Rivera responsible for this poo defense or McDermott....lol people on the huddle never disappoint.

I'm really beginning to think these type of people truly do deserve this franchise...just another lol...can't stop laughing. Everyone sucks when they leave here...another LOL.

seriously...lol

I think Sean will be a quality head coach as far as the basics go, but the Bills are really really unforgiving. He's gonna need luck on his side big time.

I hate to say it, but with the way that organization fuctions, his time there is basically a countdown to when they will run him out of town.

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

I really don't understand all the panic.  McDermott has never consistently fielded great defenses, yet people on here are acting like we are losing one of the best DC in the NFL.  His defenses have ranked:

2011 - 27th

2012 - 18th

2013 - 2nd

2014 - 21st

2015 - 6th

2016 - 26th 

Out of 6 seasons here, 4 have been far below average in the NFL.  Before coming here, his defense was awful in Philadelphia.  If we can criticize Shula and Rivera for subpar performances, than why are we freaking out over losing a DC who has mostly been subpar?  

The first two seasons the team was rebuilding from 2-14.   2013 2nd in defense, top in sacks, 2015 superbowl elite D. 2014 and 2016 roster overhaul in secondary. Despite this we have consistently been near the top on sacks. To win in the league you need to create pressure on the qb and McD is great at disguising blitzes.  In the last few years we lost alot at DE (Greg Hardy, Frank Alexander, CJ is a shell of 2013 etc) and have had constant turnover in the secondary. I feel losing McD is a big loss. Alot of total yardage inflation yards in our seasons have come from slow starts out of the gate and our conservative offense approach in 4th qtr's of games, always depending on the D to bend but dont break.(<this is the part Rivera influences.)

Archived