• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OT Ryan Ramczyk declares for the draft. In play for Panthers at 8?

Jeremy Igo

His medical checks will be huge. He's likely not going to be able to participate in combine drills or his pro day due to hip surgery. Hip's are a really bad thing to injure depending on what exactly the injury is and could affect his ability to play long term.

If he checks out 100% he is a top 10 worthy OT.

I love this kid and think he could absolutely be our future at LT. Don't think I'd want him at 8 though, Maybe if Fournette, the top safeties and top DEs are all gone I'd consider it more but he's still pretty raw. Perfect spot for him would be around where we got Kelvin or a little later, which would make him perfect for our 2nd rounder. Even if we had to trade up in the second or back into the first I'd consider that. Unforunately I think due to teams scrambling for o-linemen he'll go top 20-25.

I would be highly upset if we picked him or Robinson with pick 8. You have a top 10 pick you need to get a day 1 starting difference maker.. I mean I'll gladly take my words back if he turns out to be a beast right out of the gates , but I highly doubted it for either of them two. I'd rather get Fournette or Adams.

5 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I would be highly upset if we picked him or Robinson with pick 8. You have a top 10 pick you need to get a day 1 starting difference maker.. I mean I'll gladly take my words back if he turns out to be a beast right out of the gates , but I highly doubted it for either of them two. I'd rather get Fournette or Adams.

Pretty much all OTs struggle out of the gates in their rookie years. Even the studs that go top 10. You're basically resigning yourself to never taking an OT high with that mindset. At some point you just have to take your medicine and draft one high because long term it is the best option.

I'm not saying we have to take Robinson or Ramczyk because I'm not sure they are worthy of the pick especially if there are any questions about Ramczyk's hip, but philosophically ignoring a key position because they might not be great year 1 is a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I think there's a decent chance that Ryan is a top starter right out of the gates kind of like the Titans' last two OT picks, Conklin and Lewan, and the Ravens' this year (the Titans' young OTs being a huge reason why they came close to the playoffs this year), but it's no surefire guarantee which is what you need picking top 10. Too inexperienced to be a sure thing at 8 but if we do take them there I'd be excited as hell because I would see it like I see Bradbury now. They were so sure James was going to be a monster here that they took him that high, so if they're so sure about Ryan that they take him at 8 I'll be extremely excited. Would hate to miss out on some of the other top prospects though.

Archived