• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dumpster Fire - San Francisco firing Chip Kelley and GM

Jeremy Igo

29 minutes ago, thebigcat said:

Hopefully the firing of Kelley and Rex Ryan serves notices to coaches who get fired to take a year or two off before rushing into the next gig. Kelley will go back to college, Ryan is finished as an NFL head coach. Both got fired and instantly jumped on hot garbage teams who gave them respectively one year for Kelley and two for Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Agreed -- I feel like most NFL fans knew exactly how those hirings would go. You'd think these guys would pick their spots a little better, but I guess you have to have pretty strong sense of self-belief to be a candidate for a NFL head coaching job anyways...

Unlike you, I'm not hyperbolic.

Cleveland hasn't developed a QB in decades. We've found Delhomme and Cam during that span. The front office is also easily one of the worst (if not the worst) in the league.

I agree we are in better shape than Cleveland but their front office did get a 4th rounder from Nipple Shorts for Andy Lee.

Point? Lee is the best punter in the NFL and was one of our very few bright spots this season. He was worth the 4th round pick.

He was good when healthy but the trade was a reach. I don't think there's been a huge drop with Parlady and he is a heck of a lot cheaper.

12 hours ago, top dawg said:

This is what they deserve for dumping Harbaugh (and, yes, that's effectively what transpired). I didn't necessarily like the guy, but he is obviously a good coach 

They've devolved into the western Browns.

I think they deserve it as much for hiring Kelly as they do for firing Harbaugh.

12 hours ago, csx said:

No I don't. However player movement was very limited prior to free agency. It's why they brought it to court. I'm not sure which players the 49ers bought during their dynasty. Im genuinely curious. I suppose they could have traded in such a way that they acquired high priced players and that could work.

i always interpreted it to mean that the teams with the richest owners could outspend others for the top coaches, trainers, facilities, front office staff, etc.  that and they didn't have to worry about holdouts from players they drafted or were trying to extend.

12 hours ago, csx said:

No I don't. However player movement was very limited prior to free agency. It's why they brought it to court. I'm not sure which players the 49ers bought during their dynasty. Im genuinely curious. I suppose they could have traded in such a way that they acquired high priced players and that could work.

Carmen Policy drafted pretty well with the 49ers. Offhand, about the only important free agents I can think of are Jack Reynolds and Ken Norton Jr. (though he didn't come till later). As I recall, things really went downhill around the time they lost Charles Haley to the Cowboys.

But Jangler and Shield are essentially correct. If they drafted a good player, with no cap to worry about, they could just overpay him to stay. Once the cap robbed them of that ability, the dam started springing leaks.

Granted, the cap hit the Cowboys harder than anyone.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think they deserve it as much for hiring Kelly as they do for firing Harbaugh.

Great point. I remember having much debate with @CarolinaCoolin about how Kelly was not the NFL savant that he believed that he was. Kelly has a modicum of success at the collegiate level, but he has never won championships in any capacity as a coach. He almost singlehandedly wrecked the Eagles, and had a key role in the train wreck this season.

27 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Great point. I remember having much debate with @CarolinaCoolin about how Kelly was not the NFL savant that he believed that he was. Kelly has a modicum of success at the collegiate level, but he has never won championships in any capacity as a coach. He almost singlehandedly wrecked the Eagles, and had a key role in the train wreck this season.

Kelly's system was never going to work in the NFL, but his massive ego and the Eagles owner giving them too much power too fast hastened his downfall in Philly.

On a related note, it's being reported that Trent Baalke nixed the hiring of Adam Gase so that he could hire Jim Tomsula instead.

Ouch.

Archived