• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The real Cam Newton? It’s all that you see - for better or worse

Ricky Spanish

That's a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Newton's had a down year, no doubt about it. Plenty of reasons, some he can control, some he can influence, and quite a few that are just going to happen.

On field, he has been a disappointment this season, partly because he had set the bar so high last year. Off the field, he's still out there being a model leader of the community (while juggling in a new kid -- which can be quite a handful).

Once 2016 is packed away and he can get some time for rest, recuperation and rededication, I have a feeling we'll see him come back as good as ever. Maybe even a bit better.

Good article.

People on this board can be very "all or nothing" about Cam. There are some who believe he can do no wrong and others who will never credit him for doing anything right.

Oy.

Off-field Cam has generally stayed away from major issues (unless you're a big fan of ties). On-field Cam had an MVP season and followed it up with his worst year as a pro. All his fault?  No, but he's not blameless either.

Said long ago that Newton has one of those personalities where if you don't get to know him, there's a good chance you won't like him. All of us know people like that, and it's no big deal.

Or at least it shouldn't be.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good article.

People on this board can be very "all or nothing" about Cam. There are some who believe he can do no wrong and others who will never credit him for doing anything right.

Oy.

Off-field Cam has generally stayed away from major issues (unless you're a big fan of ties). On-field Cam had an MVP season and followed it up with his worst year as a pro. All his fault?  No, but he's not blameless either.

Said long ago that Newton has one of those personalities where if you don't get to know him, there's a good chance you won't like him. All of us know people like that, and it's no big deal.

Or at least it shouldn't be.

There's a lot of that going around this year with our team. Tons of people trying to blame one single person or thing, when in fact it's much more complicated and the result of a bunch of different things.

Plenty of blame to go around.

4 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

There's a lot of that going around this year with our team. Tons of people trying to blame one single person or thing, when in fact it's much more complicated and the result of a bunch of different things.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Always is in a team sport.

“Cam Newton is Cam Newton,” (Gerald McCoy) said on a conference call Wednesday morning. “He just has that big ol’ smile while he’s playing. And a lot of people, sometimes, they take what he does for being angry, or being a bad sport, and it’s passion.

“He brings a type of passion and energy and fun to this league that we play in that I think is very necessary. ... Cam has been Cam since he got in the league. ... He’s not gonna change who he is and the NFL needs to accept it. He is very necessary in this league, in my opinion. The type of person that he is, I don’t wanna call it ‘flamboyant,’ but he’s outgoing. You know, the dancing, he’s very generous at handing out the footballs. ... He likes to have a good time, man, and he’s gonna be who he is.”

I made a thread about it months ago. For better or worse he is who we have hitched our wagon to. You can hate him all you want but we are going to live and die with Cam as our guy. So you might as well enjoy the ride or find another train to ride. Because Cam is going nowhere and not likely to change. If you just sit back and enjoy it, it is a lot more good than bad. Honestly I think he has another very good year next season.

I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it, no matter how uncomfortable it might make some to talk about it.

Much of the disdain Newton receives from fans stems from his personality, and unwillingness to shoehorn himself into the stereotypical role of the passive "one of the good ones" quiet black quarterbacks that are "well spoken", and don't rock the boat. In the eyes of many who are stuck living in a bygone era, black quarterbacks are merely tolerated, but they certainly aren't supposed to be flamboyant, or outspoken.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it, no matter how uncomfortable it might make some to talk about it.

Much of the disdain Newton receives from fans stems from his personality, and unwillingness to shoehorn himself into the stereotypical role of the passive "one of the good ones" quiet black quarterbacks that are "well spoken", and don't rock the boat. In the eyes of many who are stuck living in a bygone era, black quarterbacks are merely tolerated, but they certainly aren't supposed to be flamboyant, or outspoken.

You ain't wrong.

And you will get push back soon in this thread because saying this DOES make some people uncomfortable.

Archived