• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera wants to see Cam Newton, offense evolve

Ace_Aladdin

“There are a lot of things we’re going to look at,” Rivera said. “We get and understand that some things have to evolve around him, because he’s evolving as a quarterback as well. He’s getting older and he’s going to be a different style player. We know that much.”

Following a dominant season in which he accounted for 45 touchdowns and claimed NFL MVP, the 27-year-old Newton and the offense he directs has struggled in 2016.

There are a number of factors that have led to the decreased productivity from the entire unit. The many injuries along the offensive line have been challenging to overcome.

But as we look ahead to the evolution that Rivera wants to see take place, let’s start with Newton’s running, a large part of what Rivera was alluding to when he commented on the star quarterback’s age and style of play.

Newton may still be firmly in his prime, but nearly six full NFL seasons of punishment as a ball carrier takes its toll. And it became apparent this year that Newton has lost some confidence in the officials’ ability to protect him – inside and outside the pocket.

“We want him to last 10 more years,” Rivera said. “We have to find ways to change. We have to find ways to protect him and for him to protect himself.

“Part of his evolution is learning how to survive.”

Since he entered the league as the No.1 pick in 2011 Newton has compiled 3,560 rushing yards – 28.4 percent of the team’s rushing output over that span.

Fewer designed runs and zone-read keepers are a starting point to decrease the wear and tear. But there’s no denying Newton’s effectiveness as a short-yardage runner, and Rivera knows that as well as anyone.

“We’ll save it for the right time,” Rivera said.

Ultimately, Rivera wants to see the traditional run game become more effective.

“We have to run the ball more effectively from the one-back and two-back sets,” Rivera explained. “Our hard play-action has to be better. All those things that we took for granted because Cam was always a threat (to run) – it’s different now.”

Time to get a young RB/TE combo along with a small shifty WR . This could also be a hint towards a Norv Turner hiring as assitant coach to help Shula expand the offense , time to be proactive for the SB run!

2017- Panthers will have the #1 rushing offense 

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Rivera-wants-to-see-Cam-Newton-offense-evolve/7e3b4a53-5d33-49b8-ba9f-c12330ab76f2

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.15.29 PM.png

Rivera wants to see Cam Newton, offense evolve

giphy.gif

Ultimately, Rivera wants to see the traditional run game become more effective.

And there is all you need to know about how much ol' Ron wants to "evolve".  He defines "evolve" to mean moving from a 1980's run game to more of a 1950's run game.

12 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Time to get a young RB/TE combo along with a small shifty WR . This could also be a hint towards a Norv Turner hiring, time to be proactive for the SB run!

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Rivera-wants-to-see-Cam-Newton-offense-evolve/7e3b4a53-5d33-49b8-ba9f-c12330ab76f2

Those thinking this means Shula would be dumped for Turner are likely to be disappointed. What he is talking about is evolving to a Dallas type. Offense with a dominant offensive line which makes Cam much more productive and protects him much better. Plus it is necessary to run a Coryell offense.

Just now, panthers55 said:

Those thinking this means Shula would be dumped for Turner are likely to be disappointed. What he is talking about is evolving to a Dallas type. Offense with a dominant offensive line which makes Cam much more productive and protects him much better. Plus it is necessary to run a Coryell offense.

We dont need to dump Shula, Turner would come in as a assistant to expand the offense.

Our offensive line, when healthy, could possibly be one of the nastiest and stout in the league. Aside LT, I think we have answers at every position.

• RT Daryl Williams, whom shut out the league leader in sacks (Vic) in 2 games this season, is playing really well. He was also 2015's best rookie tackle and top 3 rookie by PFF before his injury.
  • RG Trai Turner was a probowler, and is showing amazing chemistry with Daryl Williams.
  • C Ryan Kalil is an All-Pro. Signal-caller. Even our future, albeit certainly not perfect, in Tyler Larsen is looking good.
  • LG Andrew Norwell is the league's most underrated guard - he's a beast. 
  • LT with Oher is decent - probably would be our only weakness if there even is one.

I think shoring up LT - if Oher is done - is the only issue, at the very least finding competent depth. Otherwise we could seriously have a top 5 line by next season as long as we stay healthy.

I certainly think a Coryell offense with this line when healthy will work. The only issue is whether the coaches see what I see with Williams at RT, or not. 

10 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Our offensive line, when healthy, could possibly be one of the nastiest and stout in the league. Aside LT, I think we have answers at every position.

• RT Daryl Williams, whom shut out the league leader in sacks (Vic) in 2 games this season, is playing really well. He was also 2015's best rookie tackle and top 3 rookie by PFF before his injury.
  • RG Trai Turner was a probowler, and is showing amazing chemistry with Daryl Williams.
  • C Ryan Kalil is an All-Pro. Signal-caller. Even our future, albeit certainly not perfect, in Tyler Larsen is looking good.
  • LT with Oher is decent - probably would be our only weakness if there even is one.

I think shoring up LT - if Oher is done - is the only issue, at the very least finding competent depth. Otherwise we could seriously have a top 5 line by next season as long as we stay healthy.

I certainly think a Coryell offense with this line when healthy will work. The only issue is whether the coaches see what I see with Williams at RT, or not. 

Coaches have already indicated Williams is going to be the future RT. We don't know Oher's future and how susceptible he will be to concussion again so we definitely need to draft a future LT regardless. Panthers really need to improve skills players around Newton and we will be the #1 offense again that can beat an elite defense for the SB win. (I could see a Broncos / Panther rematch) 

- Move J-Stew into more Tolbert's role of RB/FB

-Draft RB

-Daft 2 TE that can runblock similar to Travis Kelce  (Jordan Leggett)

-Shifty WR 

16 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Agree on the need at left tackle. I think Williams might be the answer but has had issues with injury last year and this. He looks good when he actually plays. Of course the key is keeping your own so let's hope we lock up Turner and Norwell and develop a center to replace Kalil. Speaking of Kalil, I might take a flyer on Matt Kalil and do for him what we did with Oher this year.

Agree on the need at left tackle. I think Williams might be the answer but has had issues with injury last year and this. He looks good when he actually plays. Of course the key is keeping your own so let's hope we lost k up Turner and Norwell and develop a center to replace Kalil. Speaking of Kalil, I might take a flyer on Matt Kalil and do for him what we did with Oher this year.

C - Jamaal Clayborn 

7 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

C - Jamaal Clayborn 

I don't have problems drafting lineman but I do have problems when you start them instead of using them for depth while they develop their NFL body and refine their technique. Almost all rookies struggle which given the rookie pay scale doesn't require you to start them. You have plenty of money to sign veterans.

Archived