• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mario Addison the Panthers best DE?

Jeremy Igo

Addison is too small to be an every down DE. Addison has been a consistent situational pass rusher once he learned the DE position, and he is good for a zone blitz scheme. He produced as expected. I am not quite sure why people are noticing him more this season compared to his others. He has been this productive for the Panthers against the passing game since 2014.

AJ Klein is another LB I believe would transition well into a situational pass rushing DE like Addison.

These stats are interesting:

http://blackandbluereview.com/snap-counts-week-16-falcons-at-panthers/2/

Chronologically, Ealy's playing percentage the past four weeks has gone like this: 65%, 57%, 52%, 46%

Addison's still being used as a situational pass rusher, but he led DEs in playing time (60%)

While Ealy is regressing (sad to say the least,) Addison is improving and having a much larger role in this defense. Sad to say Ealy may now be back as backup - unless he is motivated to take the next step - and Addison may be a sure fire keeper, with a nice raise this offseason.

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

AJ Klein is another LB I believe would transition well into a situational pass rushing DE like Addison.

I'm honestly interested to how you came to that conclusion.

That's a wild idea that would've never crossed my mind. Care to explain? Provide a few examples with that too?

This year Addison has been our most effective DE in the pass rush. In a passing league you need guys who can after the QB. I'm hoping he's resigned. Our pass rush would be quite different without him. After the season we had we may not be able to keep him.

Ealy is still under contract for 2017. He's almost certain to be back. He plays his best ball at LDE. I'd move him there permanently and let Charles Johnson go. We really need to see if Ealy is worth keeping for the 2018 season.  Johnson is a FA next year and he's getting older. I'd keep him only if I decided to keep 5 DE's instead of 4. We really need to find another difference maker at DE in this year's draft and/or sign a FA,.

Archived