• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera to the Rams?

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That'd be a lot more compelling argument if they also played equally well in the earlier part of the season when there was something to play for.

I need a lot stronger reason to keep a coach than "his teams look much better once they're out of the playoffs".

Coach of the year two of the last four seasons. 

So far Jon gruden and bill cowher, the biggest potential coaching hires every single season, have been linked to the Rams job by "high ranking sources" before quickly coming out and denying it outright. 

Now just browsing rotoworld I see Sean Payton and Ron Rivera, two of the highest profile coaches in the league. One doesn't make sense, and the other would require a trade from a team without a first round pick. 

This is how the LA media works. They assume people will just want to be there because it's LA. in the NBA it's absolutely a thing. Players will go to LA just to be in LA. 

The NFL couldn't be more different. All the players live somewhere during the offseason. The coaching hours are so hideous they basically don't have a life during the season. This image of pat Riley winning games then going out to the club will never happen in the NFL, because that coach would be fired immediately. 

The LA media is going to have to realize with their owner, draft and qb situation,  they're basically on par with Cleveland right now. 

I don't see it as completely impossible that Rivera would leave, but I do see it as highly unlikely.  Of course, that does depend on what the front office is saying to him in private.  But he has a decent situation here, while the Rams are a complete wildcard, without a good quarterback.  Unless he feels Gettleman wants to make a change anyway, Rivera is highly unlikely to leave.

20 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Coach of the year two of the last four seasons. 

So was Bruce Arians.

If you look at the history, Marvin Lewis, Mike Smith, Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron and Jim Haslett have all won coach of the year.

Only Lewis still has his job.

1 hour ago, Adb6368 said:

I don't think we would ever trade rivera for less than a first round draft pick. And with the team LA has and the QB they have to build around, they should be drafting near the top of the draft order for the foreseeable future.

But they traded away their 1st round pick for Goff, right?!?!

They have a 2nd and a possible 3rd round comp pick.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5/2/11569810/2017-nfl-draft-los-angeles-rams-picks

For me, the biggest obstacle to something like this is that there are hot head coaching candidates out there that can be had without giving up picks.

To go this route instead, the Rams would have to think Rivera is significantly better than any of those guys.

That strikes me as a hard case to make.

Archived