• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers not mathematically eliminated yet

Jeremy Igo

This is usually updated midweek and will tell you if we are still alive. As of last week we were .1%.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

I ran the scenario through this and it had Tampa in even if everything runs perfect. I'm guessing there is a sov or something in there.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/results/400874716~2~400874540~1~400874513~1~400874606~1~400874635~2~400874637~1~400874523~2~400874643~2~400874534~1~400874631~2

There's tons of different metrics but they're all comically unlikely. Since 1974 (sudden death OT introduced) the odds of a single tie in an NFL season is just over 51% (22 in 43 seasons). Extrapolated out to 256 games, the likelihood of a single game finishing tied is just under 0.2% (if you account for growing amounts of games/teams over time then the percentage raises a bit over 0.2%, but point remains). Then consider that the Redskins have two shots at this, so we can double to a whopping 0.4%.

But that doesn't even account for the nine other games that have to fall a certain way. Of course we've gone down the tie games rabbit hole, so instead of each team having a 50/50 shot at winning, it's actually about 49.9/49.9/.2 (tie). The odds of the nine games finishing as needed are, oddly enough, just under 0.2%.

Then add back in the likelihood of a Redskins tie: odds of all ten games finishing with the desired outcome is about 0.00077%, or roughly 1 in 130,420. And that doesn't even account for the likelihood of upsets, which I imagine is where the 1 in 250,000 comes from.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

See my post above. Assuming NO also loses to Atlanta (might be a bad assumption), then we'd need GB, Tampa, Minnesota and Washington all at 8-8 (7-7-2 for Wash) to get in as the #6 seed. We can't have NO at 8-8 either because their "common" games record is 5-3, better than us and Tampa. They'd get in over Minnesota with a better conference record.

So we need:

Us to win 3

NO to beat Tampa and lose to Atlanta (Atlanta wouldn't be resting starters because Tampa could win division if Atlanta loses to us)

GB to lose both

Minn to beat GB at GB and lose at home to Chicago

Washington to lose one and tie one

Tampa doesn't matter, assumptions already above

I plugged that in to 538 you are right

e

21 minutes ago, stbugs said:

See my post above. Assuming NO also loses to Atlanta (might be a bad assumption), then we'd need GB, Tampa, Minnesota and Washington all at 8-8 (7-7-2 for Wash) to get in as the #6 seed. We can't have NO at 8-8 either because their "common" games record is 5-3, better than us and Tampa. They'd get in over Minnesota with a better conference record.

So we need:

Us to win 3

NO to beat Tampa and lose to Atlanta (Atlanta wouldn't be resting starters because Tampa could win division if Atlanta loses to us)

GB to lose both

what if Washington just loses out?

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

So we need:

Us to win 3

GB to lose both

Our luck, we will tie tonight...

Archived