• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers not mathematically eliminated yet

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

The only 8-8 teams remaining after division tie breakers are the Panthers and Vikings. Vikings hold the tie breaker over the Panthers after the division tie breakers.

You know the Vikings and Panthers are not in the same division.

I'm not thinking straight. So wait due to the fact we lost to the Vikings, they have a better chance to get in correct? So the Vikings have the better division record compared to the Panthers is what you're trying to say?

What he is saying is this:

if if the panthers Bucs Packers and Vikings all ended up at 8-8, the first tiebreaker occurs between the (Vikes and Packers) and (Panthers vs Bucs). The vikes would knock the packers out in their scenario since they swept them. We would knock the Bucs out due to a better conference record at 7-5 vs 6-6. In this scenario we would tie them in divison record and would split head to head. 

That would then leave us and the Vikings for the final tiebreaker which is head to head. Which they would have thus eliminating us. 

The only thing I'm not sure of is what happens if New Orleans winds up at 8-8 as well. That would change things a bit and may be the reasoning we are still showing as mathematically alive. 

Ps. We most likely get destroyed tomorrow night so this post is irrelevant. 

21 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

You have to break ties in division before you go to tie breakers in conference. The Vikings would have the tie breaker over Packers and the Panthers would hold the tie breaker over the Bucs for their respective divisions.

In that above scenario, the only 8-8 teams remaining after division tie breakers are the Panthers and Vikings. Vikings hold that tie breaker.

I think head-to-head only counts if the Vikings had beat the other 3 teams. Head-to-head is the only one with the caveat that it only counts if one club has beaten or lost to all the others in the tiebreak. So you're right, it would be down to us and the Vikings, but the head-to-head still wouldn't matter. You go to NFC record at that point.

At least I think so. The NFL has confirmed we're still in it, so they have to some scenario out there no matter how outlandish.

7 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

That makes sense. Would leave a three way tie between Minnesota, Carolina and Washington. Carolina wins a three way tiebreaker due to a better conf record. 

Head to head doesn't come into play since Minnesota and Washington haven't played. 

Only way I can make it work features a five-way tie with CAR, TB, MIN, & GB at 8-8 and WAS at 7-7-2 of all things.

CAR over TB in the South via conference record.
MIN over GB in the North via H2H.

CAR and MIN are then pitted against WAS. In this scenario MIN would hold a H2H tiebreak over CAR, and CAR over WAS, but these are moot and thrown out because MIN and WAS didn't play each other. Then it goes to Conference record, which the Panthers would win.

Crazy, it's actually better for us if the Redskins tie one of their last two games instead of losing out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 minute ago, jdpanther5 said:

Only way I can make it work features a five-way tie with CAR, TB, MIN, & GB at 8-8 and WAS at 7-7-2 of all things.

CAR over TB in the South via conference record.
MIN over GB in the North via H2H.

CAR and MIN are then pitted against WAS. In this scenario MIN would hold a H2H tiebreak over CAR, and CAR over WAS, but these are moot and thrown out because MIN and WAS didn't play each other. Then it goes to Conference record, which the Panthers would win.

Crazy, it's actually better for us if the Redskins tie one of their last two games instead of losing out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

You're basically saying that we're not making the playoffs?

Two ties for one team, I don't think I've ever heard that before. That'd be like a huge christmas miracle right there.

8 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

You're basically saying that we're not making the playoffs?

Two ties for one team, I don't think I've ever heard that before. That'd be like a huge christmas miracle right there.

It's not happening. But if the Bucs lose tonight, we at least go into tomorrow's game still in the picture. Always more enjoyable to see the panthers name still showing in the hunt. 

Archived