• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's worst statistical year. Why?

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

CBs are not asked to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage. They are for run SUPPORT. Which is why CBs don't lead the team in tackles. Expecting CBs to stop every 1st down run is a bit over the top.

So, who is responsible for outside runs to the sideline?

Who are you expecting to blow up the blocks and force the run back inside?

I know who is suppose to protect the sidelines and push the runner back to the LBs. Do you?

No one expects a CB to stop the run in the backfield on every run. A bit dramatic. CBs are expected to play the run well and make plays against the run when it goes to the outside. If you expect the CBs to sleep on the run when it comes around edge, then you need to read some books on football by the best in history.

5 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Run Run Pass.............And by pass I mean 15 yards down the field while the other team blitzes. Guy got fired at Alabama. I rest my case.

No arguing that logic. Dang, you got me.

But...we run the ball barely more than we pass. The math doesn't add up using your formula.

5 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

So, who is responsible for outside runs to the sideline?

Who are you expecting to blow up the blocks and force the run back inside?

I know who is suppose to protect the sidelines and push the runner back to the LBs. Do you?

No one expects a CB to stop the run in the backfield on every run. A bit dramatic. CBs are expected to play the run well and make plays against the run when it goes to the outside. If you expect the CBs to sleep on the run when it comes around edge, then you need to read some books on football by the best in history.

But in an earlier post you blamed the CBs for giving up too many 1st down runs. Now you want them doing other things? You can't have it both ways.

Our Rookie CBs have played very well, and are getting better as the year has progressed. Just as most folks figured. They both do a real fine job in run support. They both are willing tacklers, which is not always a given for a CB. Not sure what more you can expect.

Sure, there were not many folks who were elated to start the year with 2 Rookie CBs. But dang man. Can't you at least acknowledge their growth? Or is your Gman hate so strong, these two will never warrant praise from you?

There are playoff bound teams that would kill to have the CB play we have gotten from Bradberry, and Worley.

Oh, and dang that Bradberry is stout. Last week Johnson came running up to chest bump him, and bounced off. Barely phased Bradberry. I have been impressed with his demeanor out there. I don't think that kid is skeert of any thing.

This year just has been bad. O-line, no run game, players illegally hitting the mvp qb. We will bounce back next. I want us to just throw out the designed run plays for Cam and read option. It is getting our QB killed. Im tired of people saying he is a runner so rules apply differently to him. Also I have never been a big fan of Shula. I seen his track record with Alabama and Tampa,never impressed. 

Not knocking anyone but please stop talking about how Cam has to focus in the offseason on strictly football and block out other activities. Football is not his life, its his job. I know i dont try to think about my job when im off lol. So i could careless if he is making tv shows etc...He is still our MVP who i think the front office hung him out to dry....

11 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

No arguing that logic. Dang, you got me.

But...we run the ball barely more than we pass. The math doesn't add up using your formula.

It is being a smart ass........Vanilla system that teams see right through. If I make millions less than the people coaching other teams and I know what play Shula has called would you not think they know the play as well. Defend him if you must but he is a major reason we lost the Super Bowl. Letting defenses tee off on Cam Newton because he refuses to mix it up with screen passes and slant passes. Teams have figured him out and he has absolutely no answer for it.

Just now, OldNorthPowell said:

It is being a smart ass........Vanilla system that teams see right through. If I make millions less than the people coaching other teams and I know what play Shula has called would you not think they know the play as well. Defend him if you must but he is a major reason we lost the Super Bowl. Letting defenses tee off on Cam Newton because he refuses to mix it up with screen passes and slant passes. Teams have figured him out and he has absolutely no answer for it.

Dang, I guess I should have added a lol in there.

If what we have been told is true. Cam has input as to the Offense. He and Shula get together to game plan the next opponent. So it is not all a Shula Offense.

Now with that said. Shula is the play caller. And I have mentioned numerous times, that is the main problem up in here. Shula may have designed a great Offense, but he doesn't know how to implement it. It is like designing the worlds greatest car, but not knowing how to get the best out of it.

We do have a great Offense. We just have a crappy driver.

5 hours ago, Camvp said:

You guys bashing the offensive line need to get a grip.  You think the team planned to lose their all pro Center and freakin' backup, as well as their starting LT?  Despite all that PFF still has the line through last week ranked 18th in pass protection... barely below league average.  Atlanta, KC, Seattle, Miami are dealing with worse and are all in the playoffs at the moment.

The OL blame is funny to anyone who actually watches the NFL.

We have horrible lapses along the line...just like every team lol.

We could improve the line of course and get healthier but even when we were healthy it was OL blame. All of the factors combined create or inept offense led by Shula as the #1 issue.

With OL problems a non neanderthal OC would call plays knowing the OL can't hold up as long  and wouldn't keep expecting magic. But Cam doesn't seem to be able to throw a screen pass for poo so that takes a lot of the blitz counters off the table in regards to the main weakness.

We've had moments of great play surrounded by swaths of poo play. That tells me the following:

1. There is still plenty of talent.

2. Poor scheme.  We still can't make people pay for those delayed blitzes.

3. Poo execution.  So many poor play by everyone.

4. OL and running game issues.  We've just not had success running the ball.

5. Just a down year. It happens,  things just don't work out from time to time.

17 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Dang, I guess I should have added a lol in there.

If what we have been told is true. Cam has input as to the Offense. He and Shula get together to game plan the next opponent. So it is not all a Shula Offense.

Now with that said. Shula is the play caller. And I have mentioned numerous times, that is the main problem up in here. Shula may have designed a great Offense, but he doesn't know how to implement it. It is like designing the worlds greatest car, but not knowing how to get the best out of it.

We do have a great Offense. We just have a crappy driver.

Agree there. However, if the guy planning things with Cam Newton is not that knowledgeable then it only hurts Newton and the team. Another problem is relying on Jonathan Stewart to be the lead back. He has so many injury problems he is giving Greg Oden a run for his money. We need to draft a running back who can be the feature back and cut Stewart this off season. Also, we need to find another wide receiver in free agency to be the slot guy. Another TE would be great because I am still wondering how Ed Dickson kept his job. Throw in a LT and we should be good. This organization truly does ignore putting pieces around their MVP QB.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:06 AM, Peppers90 NC said:

Instead Cam drops back 8-12 yards sometimes and that makes it too easy for outside pass rush.

Don't mean this question to be sarcastic, just looking for further information... you understand that his drop-backs are not something that he has just randomly chosen out of thin air, correct?  You understand that the number of steps and distance in a drop-back is coached, right?

Archived