• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's worst statistical year. Why?

Jeremy Igo

Cam won the MVP with Ted Ginn as a #1 WR receiver. He has masked many deficiencies with his running ability. This year things are different: 

1. O-line worse. Not a lot of time to even go to 2nd read

2. WR are not separating. I kind of wish more 1st reads start with Funchess.  He seems to get off the line a lot better than KB

3. Playcalling is the exact same as last year and thats not a positive thing. Nothing new at at all. 

4. Cam looks slower this year. Always tries to escape around the edges. Doesn't escape up the middle because he doesn't run much anymore. 

5. Cam seeing ghosts from all the hits and lack of calls.

6. Running game needs to be revamped. No point for read option when QB doesn't keep or doesn't try to get extra yards. Also need a true FB.  

Without assuming anything like complacency of winning the mvp or nickalodean shows, his footwork is one of the worst in the NFL. He does not move well inside the pocket like stepping up or to the side to avoid pressure just enough to get off a clean pass. Instead Cam drops back 8-12 yards sometimes and that makes it too easy for outside pass rush. While there were a few games where our line got dominated, they have been at least average in protection most of the year. Terrible run blocking though and that's disappointing with Turner, Norwell and Khalil in the middle.

And get a real offensive coordinator.......

THIS!!!! It is true Cam isn't playing amazing this year but he hasn't been as bad as some of his numbers indicate and a huge chunk of that is because we have no running game. Instead of Shula trying to introduce a more traditional run game now that Cam isn't running we are still running the read option but with no option and news flash it sucks. If Shula had made any adjustments this season we are probably leading our division but instead we get eliminated from the playoffs today.

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

The way I see it: much like Gettleman and Rivera, Cam is at a crossroads.  Although the three are intertwined, they each have things that they must fix individually if they want to get to the top (and stay there).  For Cam's part, he is going to have to go through his progressions, stay true to good mechanics, and make the best decision. He doesn't have to be perfect at it, but just mostly consistent.

Cam has never be good when facing pressure, even last year.  His mechanics didn't improve this year, in fact they regressed.  Those two facts are probably somewhat related.  And of course voluntarily taking out the running threat.  Not just Cam wrt to that aspect though, we haven't been able to run the ball worth a poo this year.  I'd say the run blocking is an even bigger problem than pass blocking.  

Cam is the type of QB with the system we run that we need a potent running game to complement, period.

I'm also disappointed to see the administrator act like a fanboy with his recent posts about the coaching staff the last month or so, using the same message board reactionary talking points instead of anything nuanced. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You don't go from league mvp to low point of career without plenty of help.

Or lack thereof. Offense is predictable and we haven't adjusted. Our offense requires a strong offense line and running game. We have neither. Cam has reverted back to hero ball because he doesn't trust the situation around him. 

Lowest Passer rating and completion percentage of his career.

Why is this, in your opinion.

Possible explanations:

Inept play calling unable to compensate for league adjusting to Cam.

Bad offensive line

Told not to run, thus removing a threat and allowing defenses to pin ears back.

League approved Head hunting and concussions.

What say you?

Because me and my brother have been playing offensive line for most of the season.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

3 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

My opinion is not popular    My opinion has changed

I have also been a huge supporter of his until this year, as early as the 3rd preseason game he seemed to not want to be here

until he learns to handle a blitz and play smart football he will continue to be an unsustainable, one trick pony.   As Atlanta figured out and Denver reiterated , neither he or Shula can handle a blitZ

he has  zero touch on the ball and throws into a crowd...  his throwing the ball up and hoping for a miracle against Seattle was poor

note to Cam, if there are three defensive players around your first read, someone is open  it is your job to quickly read the field and find them

he needs to work on his  craft and evolve or he will be short lived in the NFL

of course, he could always model but he needs to understand he got that opportunity from winning football games.  Of course 67 million guaranteed ...

Things that are interesting and endearing when winning  aren't so much losing 

tie thing was ridiculous but he had been on the team for 6 years the rule was not new   Why not follow it.?  

No, let's be different as after all Cam 'wins his way.'   He loses his way too

Win against the Redskins Cam. National TV you know. Make a couple of plays .  Team feeds off you and there have been elite QBs in worse positions then you are now who in addition to not having  an oline didn't have Olsen, Stewart and two receivers drafted specifically to hide your accuracy issues

sorry. Have the guy's jersey. I realize now it should have been Luke's 

superman became more so when the chips were down. How about you, Cam?  ..or is image everything?

Not trying to sound harsh but you should learn how to formulate some proper sentences if you want to be more persuasive. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A player doesn't go from league mvp to low point in career without help.

Of course...this is a team sport after all.  But Cam shares a large part of the responsibility.  I love Cam, but he has held on to the ball way too long at times this year, the over throws have gotten worse, his already below average mechanics have gotten even worse, and he has been staring down receivers all season.  

With that being said, a sorry ass OC and a banged up OL don't help.

Just so we're all on the same page here, these teams have allowed more sacks than Carolina this season: Cleveland, Buffalo, the Colts, the Rams, Arizona, Bengals, Denver, 49ers, Seattle, Chargers, Jets, Falcons, Lions, Chiefs, Miami, and Philly.

Some of those QBs are doing pretty well. Can't blame it all on our O-line.

You guys bashing the offensive line need to get a grip.  You think the team planned to lose their all pro Center and freakin' backup, as well as their starting LT?  Despite all that PFF still has the line through last week ranked 18th in pass protection... barely below league average.  Atlanta, KC, Seattle, Miami are dealing with worse and are all in the playoffs at the moment.

3 hours ago, Inimicus said:

A player doest have the season Cam had last year and win MVP without a lot of help either.

While Id put the lions share of the blame on an O-Line that couldn't block a Pop Warner defense, there's plenty left over for the lack of offensive adaptation to a scheme that works with what we have.

But to ignore the fact that Cam has regressed mentally and physically this year smacks of some Blind Delhomme Newton Jock Sniffing

Except MVP is an individual award. You don't get MVP due to everyone else around you carrying you. Otherwise Trent Dilfer would've become MVP. I guess it's edgy or whatever to bash Cam these days from so called "fans". 

Last year our line held up better, Stewart was top 3 in rushing yards. Our WRs still dropped balls last year, but they were at least a bit more than halfway decent. They have gone to complete poo this year, especially Benjamin.

And of course there is Shula, His system has been figured out and he made no adjustments and we kept him despite the Broncos calling him out after the Super Bowl. 

Throw in the fact that Gettleman did squat to help Newton in the offseason along with the league allowing head hunting on Cam for most of the season and it is all a recipe for disaster. 

Archived