• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke likely out for the season

Jeremy Igo

Meh, if he's clear and he wants to play, let him. The protocol has done it's job.

A warrior like Luke doesn't need to think whether or not he still can for the next 8 months.

Plus, the Panthers on the business side need to know as well. Sad but true, if they hold back Luke they're only thinking about next year anyway. Contingencies must be in place.

We are going to be out of the Playoffs by sunday:

The Panthers will be eliminated from Wild Card contention if …

• The Vikings beat the Colts (1:00 p.m.)

OR

• The Packers beat the Bears (1:00 p.m.)

The Panthers will be eliminated from NFC South contention if …

• The Falcons beat the 49ers (4:05 p.m.)

OR

• The Bucs beat the Cowboys (8:30 p.m.)

• But we still need to evaluate every player on the roster for 2017.

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Geez, they've taken it slow with Luke. Jordan Reed had way more than Luke, let's not fire up retirement thoughts. He sure as fug didn't look like he wanted to retire on the sideline in Seattle.

I'm fine either way. If Luke wants to play and everyone is fine with it then who am I to say he shouldn't. That said I wouldn't mind if Luke and Cam got rest the rest of the season. Come Monday we are likely out of the division race (Atlanta isn't losing to SF) and we could easily be out of the wildcard. A Minnesota win at home over Indy deals that even with as long as our odds are already.

I want to see the team improve but Luke isn't someone we need to see that from now. Cam, well maybe it would be nice to see him playing well again but not if his shoulder's sore.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Odds are Luke will have more.  He is a MLB and given how good he is...he is in on every play.  Clearly his body doesn't shake them off like some dudes...

so I'm not saying he is retiring today...but Carolina has to prepare for the reality of what can happen with him going forward.  

All I am saying is showcasing Klien for a measly pick isn't something we should do.  Klien has an role here.  Luke's backup

38 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

We are going to be out of the Playoffs by sunday:

The Panthers will be eliminated from Wild Card contention if …

• The Vikings beat the Colts (1:00 p.m.)

OR

• The Packers beat the Bears (1:00 p.m.)

The Panthers will be eliminated from NFC South contention if …

• The Falcons beat the 49ers (4:05 p.m.)

OR

• The Bucs beat the Cowboys (8:30 p.m.)

• But we still need to evaluate every player on the roster for 2017.

We NEED to evaluate Cameron Artis-Payne. He's barely played this year.

2 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Not sure how you connected those dots.

Maybe the team thinks that because we HAVE won games with Klein as Luke's replacement before. That we should be able to do so again. Protect Luke's long term health, and still win with Klein. Sounds reasonable to me.

Rivera has stated that we plan on playing to win. Are you trying to say he is lying to us? Coaches are not allowed to lie to fans are they? There is a rule or something against that. Cuz if there ain't, there should be.

But cereally folks. Part of me is relieved Luke is done for the year. Let the kid rest up, and heal. But part of me is kinda sad. I love watching the kid play.

Oh, and I am not down with that lose for a draft pick thingy. IMO, there is not that big of a difference between 7, if we continue to lose. Or 10ish, if we win a few. So I am all in on the wins baby.

Players who get a concussion and then are out of the protocol are 100% healthy and there's absolutely zero reason whatsoever to not play that player unless you're tanking. There's no more risk of him getting hurt these last 3 games than there would at the beginning of next season or any other game ever when he's healthy. You don't sit your best player who's 100% (which Luke is now that he's through the protocol) unless you're tanking. The team can still be playing to win but not playing Luke means they aren't giving 100% and that to me is tanking.

Well if we win out, it's pretty damn likely we'll be 15th or later and there's a huge difference between 7ish and 15th or later. There actually is a pretty damn big difference between 7 and 10 too.

45 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Meh, if he's clear and he wants to play, let him. The protocol has done it's job.

A warrior like Luke doesn't need to think whether or not he still can for the next 8 months.

Plus, the Panthers on the business side need to know as well. Sad but true, if they hold back Luke they're only thinking about next year anyway. Contingencies must be in place.

I can see how you could think that. If he makes it through the year, maybe you can breathe a little easier. And if he does get another concussion, maybe it is better to find out now.

However, maybe sitting him for almost 9 months could do him a world of good. Sure you would have to still have a plan B, but if all goes well, you still have Luke.

IMO, in the long run, and for a possible longer career. Sitting Luke until next year is the best option. Sure he may still get another concussion, but giving him that extra time may lower the odds immensely. I mean, doesn't it make sense that the longer you let him rest, the better chance you have of shaking this thing. Isn't he worth THAT risk?

Is a few more wins this year really worth the risk? 

7 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I can see how you could think that. If he makes it through the year, maybe you can breathe a little easier. And if he does get another concussion, maybe it is better to find out now.

However, maybe sitting him for almost 9 months could do him a world of good. Sure you would have to still have a plan B, but if all goes well, you still have Luke.

IMO, in the long run, and for a possible longer career. Sitting Luke until next year is the best option. Sure he may still get another concussion, but giving him that extra time may lower the odds immensely. I mean, doesn't it make sense that the longer you let him rest, the better chance you have of shaking this thing. Isn't he worth THAT risk?

Is a few more wins this year really worth the risk? 

Good points, although Luke sat 3 games last year and then finished the season so who knows. He's a football player, it's what he does. If he and his family want him to play, so be it.

I'll credit to Ron or one thing...he generally is pretty honest and doesn't play games.  Ron already let it be known he would want Luke to play when cleared (I assume thought that means Luke wants to)

so if Ron has reversed his course it means....Luke or Dave is talking about not playing anymore this year.  Not a Ron thing. 

If he sits we won't know who.  If Luke, that is scary. 

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

Players who get a concussion and then are out of the protocol are 100% healthy and there's absolutely zero reason whatsoever to not play that player unless you're tanking. There's no more risk of him getting hurt these last 3 games than there would at the beginning of next season or any other game ever when he's healthy. You don't sit your best player who's 100% (which Luke is now that he's through the protocol) unless you're tanking. The team can still be playing to win but not playing Luke means they aren't giving 100% and that to me is tanking.

Well if we win out, it's pretty damn likely we'll be 15th or later and there's a huge difference between 7ish and 15th or later. There actually is a pretty damn big difference between 7 and 10 too.

Passing the protocol, and being 100% healthy is fine. And if winning to you is more important that giving Luke the best possible chance to recoup, then have at it. The powers that be seem to be on the other side of that coin. They feel sitting Luke until next year gives him the best opportunity to come back worry freeish.

If you want to equate taking Luke's long term health in account, with tanking?

We have won games without Luke before. Just another reason to let him sit.

Now, I did say a few more games, not win out. If you are going to use my words against me. The least you could do is get them right. I mean, c'mon man. You knew what I meant. 6, or maybe 7 wins will not blow us out of the water. We are going to get a decent pick no matter what. Well, I say that, cuz I really don't see us winning many more games anyway.

IMO, I really do think posts are going to be interesting either way. Sit Luke, and fans will riot. Play Luke, and fans will riot. Win win for the onlookers.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Greene said:

Good points, although Luke sat 3 games last year and then finished the season so who knows. He's a football player, it's what he does. If he and his family want him to play, so be it.

That's what makes this one so concerning. Is it a trend? Is he now concussion suspect? Are we going to hold our breathe every time Luke makes a tackle? Waiting on that next concussion.

Or were those first two just fluke plays, with bad outcomes? As long as he doesn't put himself in a bad way again. Will he be alright?

I will say this. Luke got precious little rest between his first two concussions. If we sit him now. He will get a considerable amount of rest.

We all pretty much know Luke will want to play. Which to me means he is willing to at least go one more time, and he will worry about concussions later. My only concern if these concussions continue is, will he know when enough is enough?

This is a sticky wicket I tell ya what.

P.S. The fan in me wants Luke to play. Cuz the dude is a dang Beast, and a blast to watch. But there is a part of me that wants him to sit. I will gladly pass up a victory or two, to have Luke around that much longer. 

Archived