• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stanford star RB Christian McCaffrey declares for NFL Draft

Kevin Greene

On Wednesday, December 07, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Saca312 said:

Per walterfootball:

"McCaffrey is a dangerous kick returner."

I'd draft him just because of that honestly. Especially after seeing the classic "Fozzy for less than 20 yards" return or the "Ginn cardiac attack" type of return.

The game has changed...kick returns are pretty much a thing of the past, no need to want someone cuz they are a good return man haha 

He looks like an absolute TD machine, instant offense kind of player.

Sadly, Shula hasn't proven himself to be capable of getting faster guys in space.  Shula has a great mind for the running game.  You still see concepts, just the terrible execution.  Shula needs guys to play up to his system, he's not shown a knack for helping bring guys up.

To make use of McCaffrey, you need a playcaller who can get guys isolated.  As much as we hate the Saints, he'd tear it up under Payton.

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

He looks like an absolute TD machine, instant offense kind of player.

Sadly, Shula hasn't proven himself to be capable of getting faster guys in space.  Shula has a great mind for the running game.  You still see concepts, just the terrible execution.  Shula needs guys to play up to his system, he's not shown a knack for helping bring guys up.

To make use of McCaffrey, you need a playcaller who can get guys isolated.  As much as we hate the Saints, he'd tear it up under Payton.

Or Reid.

I agree with you though, Shula isn't a great "schemer" IMO.  Good ideas, but bad at creating mismatches.

Trade down. Pick up extra draft picks. Select McCaffery.

Kicker returner. Change up RB. Back up RB. Slot receiver on 3rd down. He will effectively make Cam check the ball down more as he will be a trusted weapon with good hands.

He is the piece of the offense the Panthers have been missing. They tried to fill it with Fozzy/Ginn/Cotchery/Brown. McCaffery makes them all better and forces the defense to no longer cheat on Cam, KB, Olsen, and Funchess by leaving the flats open.

10 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Trade down. Pick up extra draft picks. Select McCaffery.

Kicker returner. Change up RB. Back up RB. Slot receiver on 3rd down. He will effectively make Cam check the ball down more as he will be a trusted weapon with good hands.

He is the piece of the offense the Panthers have been missing. They tried to fill it with Fozzy/Ginn/Cotchery/Brown. McCaffery makes them all better and forces the defense to no longer cheat on Cam, KB, Olsen, and Funchess by leaving the flats open.

If one of the "elite" prospects (Fournette, Garrett, Peppers ,or Adams) doesn't fall to us I would love to see us trade back some.   I would put Allen in the category also but I'm not sure he is a scheme fit.  I really don't see McCaffery going before 25th so you would have to trade back a good bit if you really wanted him.  Also I see him going before our second round pick.

If you could move from 7th to around 12-14th you might pick up a late 2nd.  At that point you package your two 2nds and move back into the 1st.  If you had the 12th and 25th pick you might could pick McCaffery at 25 and still have the 12 pick.  After the first 4-5 players I don't see much difference between the next 8-10 players.  At 12 you could end up with maybe one of the top 2 OTs on the board (Ramczyk or Robinson), one of the TE's (maybe Howard), there are a couple of DEs that might be in that range (Harris or Barnett), maybe a WR (Williams or Ross).  Before someone says so and so will be gone by 12, I'm sure they will, but of those players I listed some of them should be there at 12.  Also if you don't want McCaffery you could use that later pick on something else you need.

Or, you could just keep your 2nds and have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived