• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Releasing Tolbert is a cap savings of 1.5 million

Jeremy Igo

51 minutes ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

I see Gradkowski as more of a final preseason cut because he barely costs the team any money. If he gets out produced in the preseason by his competition then I do see him losing his spot.

I don't on the other hand see any possible chance that Anderson is cut, he is one of the better backups in the entire NFL and their value cannot be understated. He's worth more than $1.75 million given his mentorship to Cam, his leadership, his playing ability, his understanding of a playbook. Plus veteran QBs are very valuable when it comes to helping learn new playbooks and I have a feeling we will have a new OC after this season. 

That's fair with Gradkowski and the most likely scenario, keep in mind Bene's cap savings were a little less when he was cut this season (at about $500k).  Anderson is a quality backup and I'd be happy to have him (especially with a possible change at OC) but I'm considering it another way.  Why not turn that into a money maker where if you can coach up a good backup other teams will start paying to pull them away (by trade or receiving compensatory picks). Several teams have made significant profit operating this way.

Spotrac and OTC seem to disagree, the latter has $750k of his $1.1M base as fully guaranteed. If correct, the savings would really only be $750k with $1.1M in dead money (interesting how the same numbers come up with this contract structure).

So the question becomes, is Tolbert worth $750k (the net difference between cutting and keeping him)? I'm sure many think not, but that's a little LESS than the veteran minimum for a player with four years experience. Frankly there aren't many options you can afford with that, so I'm not sure if the benefit is there. I'd guess he sticks around.

Sent from my SM-N920V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived