• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Releasing Tolbert is a cap savings of 1.5 million

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

All possible candidates (maybe Gano is the safest).

Oher would save $2.5 mil as cut in the offseason and I'm pretty sure retirement would be treated the same.  Assuming Larsen says hot, Gradkowski would be a $750,000 cap savings as well.  I'd even consider looking at Anderson's $1.75 mil savings and look to start coaching up a young backup.

I see Gradkowski as more of a final preseason cut because he barely costs the team any money. If he gets out produced in the preseason by his competition then I do see him losing his spot.

I don't on the other hand see any possible chance that Anderson is cut, he is one of the better backups in the entire NFL and their value cannot be understated. He's worth more than $1.75 million given his mentorship to Cam, his leadership, his playing ability, his understanding of a playbook. Plus veteran QBs are very valuable when it comes to helping learn new playbooks and I have a feeling we will have a new OC after this season. 

All possible candidates (maybe Gano is the safest).

Oher would save $2.5 mil as cut in the offseason and I'm pretty sure retirement would be treated the same.  Assuming Larsen says hot, Gradkowski would be a $750,000 cap savings as well.  I'd even consider looking at Anderson's $1.75 mil savings and look to start coaching up a young backup.

I would think Anderson would be 100% worth that cost for a quality safety valve backup.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

He's played all year like he's on a retirement tour anyway.   Only thing missing is the rocking chair gifts from other teams 

when he did that ballerina move last week against Oakland instead of trucking that db for the first down. He should have been shown the door.  Any coach with a smidgen of balls would have chewed his azz on the sidelines.  

By letting him hang around and underperform it makes a statement to the others mediocrity is ok. 

22 minutes ago, Dunn said:

Stewart, while when healthy is one of the best backs in the NFL is one of the biggest liabilities on the offense, he is a week to week 'iffy' player when game day comes and I'd rather not have that going forward.  

We need to think long and hard about trying to invest in a solid kicker that can be with this team for 10+ years...Tucker is a rare find but we need to replace our kicker with someone more dependent when its time to get some points on the board.  

Dickson is completely replaceable and no need for him to 'contribute' further to the team.

Here's a list of UFA kickers

• Phil Dawson
  • Steven Hauschka
  • Mike Nugent
  • Greg Zuerlein
  • Robbie Gould
  • Nick Novak
  • Connor Barth
  • Randy Bullock
  • Zach Hocker

I don't think any of them are better than Gano. 

It's not Tolberts fault the team kept him when everyone following him knew he should have called it a day after the SB. He's been a good player here during most of his time. and evidently is liked by the staff a lot.

Yes we need to let him go but there's no need to trash him - he's a football player at the end of his career like a lot of others.

fatdomination.gif

17 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

It's not Tolberts fault the team kept him when everyone following him knew he should have called it a day after the SB. He's been a good player here during most of his time. and evidently is liked by the staff a lot.

Yes we need to let him go but there's no need to trash him - he's a football player at the end of his career like a lot of others.

fatdomination.gif

I think the problem is that there are times that Tolbert looks like he doesn't even want to be out there making contact with people. He peaked in 2013 and has been steadily, if not sharply, downhill ever since. I don't blame the guy for signing the contract or pick on him too harshly but it's one thing to see someone giving it their all while their body just doesn't have it anymore (Jake...) and another to see someone that looks to be phoning it in at times.

Archived