• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fournette declares for the 2017 NFL Draft

Jeremy Igo

15 minutes ago, MCC said:

Would be nice but we'll somehow win 3 of the next 4 games, save Rivera's job like in the past and fall just out of reach of Fournette and take a DT instead. 

It would almost be miraculous if we win that many.  Washington and Atl. are top 2 and 3, respectively, in total offense, SD is #10, and TB is #12.  After getting eaten up by a Seattle offense, that isn't all that close to any of them, it looks to be a very long 4 game stretch...

21 minutes ago, MCC said:

Would be nice but we'll somehow win 3 of the next 4 games, save Rivera's job like in the past and fall just out of reach of Fournette and take a DT instead. 

The odds of Rivera being fired even if we lose out are slim.  3 consecutive div titles and a sb appearance does buy you enough grace to survive one bad season.  Unless you are Jeff Fisher, then it would buy you lifetime employment.

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

The odds of Rivera being fired even if we lose out are slim.  3 consecutive div titles and a sb appearance does buy you enough grace to survive one bad season.  Unless you are Jeff Fisher, then it would buy you lifetime employment.

Yeah I know, and I like Rivera fine I guess.  I just don't think he has what it takes to keep the Panthers at the top of the NFL for a long period of time, and I'm worried about wasting Cam's career with him and his staff. 

24 minutes ago, MCC said:

Such a big week with the Chargers also jockeying for a top 10 pick as well.  Losing would provide such a nice cushion allowing us to ruin things for the Falcons without losing anything.

Lurking in the shadows are the Saints who will have a strength of schedule "disadvantage" (suckers) if we finish tied in the final standings.  I.e. We'd pick before, but it will be a stressful month.  They eat, sleep, and breathe draft and us taking native son and target Fournette would break their heart, mind, body, and soul.  They're Cam fans this week.  Go Chargers.

54 minutes ago, 15 said:

Peppers is absolutely going to be elite. very similar impact that Patrick Peterson has had for the Cardinals. he can cover, he can hit, force turnovers, cover anyone, return the ball, and even get involved on offense with some trickery if we can get a competent OC. 

When will people realize there's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft?

Remember when everyone considered Aaron Curry, the "safest pick in the draft" back in '09? At worst, everyone assumed he'd at least be a very good NFL LB. I don't think absolutely anyone picked him to be a flat out bust.

Peppers is a very good prospect, but I don't think a guy who doesn't even have a clearly defined NFL position is "absolutely going to be elite". The combine is going to be important for that kid. He needs to measure out as the elite athlete everyone assumes that he is.

I'd be willing to bet that he'll be a guy like Shaq where teams are widely divided on his draft stock. Tweener guys tend to be like that. But obviously Peppers is going to go higher than Shaq. The talk with Shaq was whether or not he'd be a 1st or 2nd rounder. The talk with Peppers is likely to be whether he's a top 5 guy.

When will people realize there's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft?

Remember when everyone considered Aaron Curry, the "safest pick in the draft" back in '09? At worst, everyone assumed he'd at least be a very good NFL LB. I don't think absolutely anyone picked him to be a flat out bust.

Peppers is a very good prospect, but I don't think a guy who doesn't even have a clearly defined NFL position is "absolutely going to be elite". The combine is going to be important for that kid. He needs to measure out as the elite athlete everyone assumes that he is.

I'd be willing to bet that he'll be a guy like Shaq where teams are widely divided on his draft stock. Tweener guys tend to be like that. But obviously Peppers is going to go higher than Shaq. The talk with Shaq was whether or not he'd be a 1st or 2nd rounder. The talk with Peppers is likely to be whether he's a top 5 guy.

If Peppers can be an Ed Reed type talent at safety then I would be all for drafting him. We haven't ever had a truly great safety on the team(Minter was good but not transcendent) so I don't think people realize exactly what it can mean to your entire defense to have one. Especially if you manage to pair them with a great LB(we have that) and a decent pass rush(we sort of have that in place if KK returns to form next year).

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived