• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fournette declares for the 2017 NFL Draft

Jeremy Igo

17 hours ago, Manos said:

Am I the only one not sold on Fournette? Maybe I am putting too much stock into the Alabama games but him getting completely shut down twice really gives me pause when we are talking about a top ten pick.

I think that's more due to Alabama's line and run defense being ridiculously good and less about Fournette's actual talent level.

21 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I hope we take a serious look at him and I hope the Jets win a couple or decide on a CB since Revis is done.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

The Jets? They better be figuring out how to draft a franchise QB. If one is there, I don't see how they could possibly pass him up.

If Fournette is the generational talent that many think he is, I just don't see us passing him up if given the opportunity to nab him. I will say this: I looked at my first vid of him yesterday, and he looks just as solid as the Panthers statues outside of BOA.  Godly power, excellent vision, good speed, and seems like he has good hands as well.  I wouldn't blame Getty for picking him at all. 

But getting back to the Jets, I would think that they and the Jags would be putting a priority on a QB. I haven't looked at the standings or remaining schedules, but we'll have a clear picture of our possibilities as it relates to other bottom feeders in another month.  Fournette may not be a realistic option unless we lose at least a couple (which is realistic considering our injuries and lack of heart).

@stbugs, after looking at things, I think that we will be in line for a top 5 pick (10 at worst).  That being said, I would think that the Browns, Jets and Jags have to seriously consider a QB, though each and every one of them could nab Fournette if he grades out highly and compares favorably to Peterson or Zeke. Even with Romo being out there, I don't see how they could pass up on a young franchise QB. Add in the Saints, Bears, 49ers, Rams and Bengals, and I really think that Fournette is  real possibility for us. Realistically, I believe the Saints will lose at least two of their remaining three (TB, twice, the Cards and ATL), so they could push us. The Bears have the Lions, Packers, Skins and Vikings, so I don't think we'll catch them. The 49ers are hapless (but they have the Jets, Cards, Bills and Bucs), so we're not catching them. The Rams and Bengals don't need to be looking at RBs at all. So, Fournette or another RB will be right there in the first for the taking if we choose to go that route. If I had to guess, I'd say that we are definitely in line for a top 7 pick at worst, and only 4/5 of those could nab Fournette before us. This is today. Hell, we could be in the 4th or 5th spot depending on what happens.

If Fournette is there when we pick its a done deal.  Derrick Henry was the pick last year until Butler fell to us.  If we do draft Fournette, trash the read option and get back to the power smash mouth running game that has been successful here.  We beat our opponents down previous years.  They knew we were gonna run the ball and we lined up and ran right at them.  Address the LT in the FA.  Norwell LG, Kalil C, Trai RG, and Williams LT. Line up and run the ball.  

Only way I don't see us taking Fournette is if some miracle Garrett falls to us, likely not happening.

7 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

We don't need to draft a rb. You take a rb with this offensive line and you might as well throw the pick in the trash. Idc who you are, you aren't going to make an offensive line look good. See Demarco Murray 

But you can't really pass up a talent like Fournette either.  There will be no offensive linemen worth taking in the top 10, so you have to address that in other ways.  Who else would you pick above him, assuming Myles Garrett goes in the top 5, which is a pretty safe bet?

Archived