• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The obvious is in front of your face, and you are missing it.

Jeremy Igo

17 hours ago, Manos said:

What we really need is an oc and head coach who have a philosophy that meshes with the way football is being played now and not from the 70s/80s or in high school.

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Yeah because our offense sucked so bad last year when folks were healthy that we had the number 1 offense in scoring of 32 teams.   Oh wait.....

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I will say this once more, although I've said it several times over the years...

The historically successful NFL teams, those who win on a consistent basis., the Pittsburgh Steelers, Patriots, Giants, etc. all have one thing in common. Although they may have a down year now and again, there is one constant each of them rely upon for success- the offensive line.

Even the Panthers in those seasons when they've enjoyed some measure of success was when there was an O-line who had played together for more than one season. Sure, there may be one or possibly 2 personnel or position changes, but not enough the disrupt the chemistry needed along that line.

You cannot make wholesale changes on the O-line from one season to the next, or even worse, from one week to the next and expect anything good to come from it.

It all starts with the O-line. You pay for those guys to stay once you've found the right ones and after a season together, you'd be surprised what happens next.

War is won in the trenches. Well said. I'm all for bolstering our Oline.

2 hours ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

So you're pinning it on the scheme and the organization then. He will have a hard time winning a super bowl with this coaching staff but with the right coaching scheme around him he can win one anywhere. Its not his fault that Shula calls mostly long developing plays with the weak o-line that he has. Like I said earlier Cam puts the team on his back more than any other player in the league.

What would that coaching scheme be? And saying being less conservative or hitting shorter passes is not a coaching scheme or philosophy. Talk about the Erhardt-Perkis system or a modified spread or WCO and tell me how each of these plays into Cams strengths or weaknesses. Then we can have a discussion. Your post says nothing and is mostly just complaining.

12 hours ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

So you're pinning it on the scheme and the organization then. He will have a hard time winning a super bowl with this coaching staff but with the right coaching scheme around him he can win one anywhere. Its not his fault that Shula calls mostly long developing plays with the weak o-line that he has. Like I said earlier Cam puts the team on his back more than any other player in the league.

Respect for your opinion, but I don't see it that way. 

Yeah because our offense sucked so bad last year when folks were healthy that we had the number 1 offense in scoring of 32 teams.   Oh wait.....

Our defense forced an unholy amount of turnovers last year, the constant short fields contributed much more to our scoring offense than the scheme, if anything we should have scored even more points than we did, but with Rons conservative nature and Shula's complete inability to call plays for a given situation we underachieved on offense. People look at the points and go wow they were great but we could have been so much better.

11 hours ago, Manos said:

Our defense forced an unholy amount of turnovers last year, the constant short fields contributed much more to our scoring offense than the scheme, if anything we should have scored even more points than we did, but with Rons conservative nature and Shula's complete inability to call plays for a given situation we underachieved on offense. People look at the points and go wow they were great but we could have been so much better.

Problem is your version is highly exaggerated.  For example your constant shorts fields dialogue  is wrong. The starting field position for offenses across the league was their own 27 yard . Our average was the 30. Wow a huge difference.

The average length of drive was 30 yards our was 32. If we had short fields our drives should average less not more.

Our average number of plays per drive was right at the league average. We had 185 total  offensive drives. The league average was 180. So if we had all these turnovers then why did we not have more drives

In fact the defense had 195 drives they defended and we only had 180 offensive drives. That should be opposite if we had all these extra drives.

Most of these excuses for why our offense wasn't truly great last year don't hold any water. Start looking at the facts and not the opinions which are mostly speculative and inaccurate.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

That is hysterical coming from the biggest Cam apologist on this board.

Pot meet kettle.

I defend a record-breaking, multi-talented quarterback who has won an MVP.

You defend an offensive coordinator who has been a failure every step of his NFL career.

I'll take that.

6 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

I defend a record-breaking, multi-talented quarterback who has won an MVP.

You defend an offensive coordinator who has been a failure every step of his NFL career.

I'll take that.

I defend an OC who taught that MVP quarterback everything he knows about professional football and built the offense to match his talent. Otherwise I doubt he would have ever won it. The fact Gettleman hasn't given them the O line they needed isn't Shula's fault.

To talk about Cam without acknowledging how integral Shula was in developing him is naive at best.

Archived