• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The obvious is in front of your face, and you are missing it.

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, updownsigma said:

I cant believe I jumped off the "fire Shula" bandwagon I'd been on since 2013 due to last season. I should have known better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I pointed out time and time again how many drives were saved solely by Cam and his legs. 

Cam is no longer running. How is that working out for Shula now?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Shula begged for more and better players for the offense last offseason, he said other teams were onto them and they needed more talent. 

That in itself is an admission of being incapable to out think defensive coordinators and adjust. 

Kind of like a chess player asking for more powerful pieces...

21 minutes ago, Joe the Show said:

Dave made a point to draft big targets for Cam to help mask his inaccurate tendencies. He failed to realize that a big target who can't get open requires more accuracy than a smaller WR who can create separation. This offense needs some quickness at the skill positions. Then we can talk about running some shorter routes.

Sent from my XT1094 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

About those inaccuracies...doesn't seem to have an issue with hitting Ginn and didn't have trouble hitting Steve Smith when he was here. Completion percentage does not tell you if a qb is accurate or not, it only tells you that the receiver caught a pass. 

21 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

If Ron wants to save his neck, he better do something about the anchor pulling him down.

You trot this offense out there next season, and RR is as good as gone.

we invest on D and are a Defensive team...yet have zero defense. 

in an ideal world, based on our HC and GM, we are suppose to be a great defensively and an okay offensive team. 

yet we are asking the O to be the Carolina Panthers without the investment in talent or coaching.  Makes no sense. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I pointed out time and time again how many drives were saved solely by Cam and his legs. 

Cam is no longer running. How is that working out for Shula now?

I don't think anyone denies that.

But what options does Shula have?  Ask a OL to run block traditionally when they can't?  Ask our slow WRs to get open quick?  I mean, I know Shula isn't good.  But even a good OC is put in a pickle given the current arrangement.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't think anyone denies that.

But what options does Shula have?  Ask a OL to run block traditionally when they can't?  Ask our slow WRs to get open quick?  I mean, I know Shula isn't good.  But even a good OC is put in a pickle given the current arrangement.

Shula has so much more talent to work with on his offense than many teams that are performing better. That is all that you need to know. 

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So many factors going into this but the season will need a fall guy and looking around the team Shula is the most likely choice.  I'm glad Shula has stayed around as long as he has because I think he has been important for Cam's development, but at this stage a new offensive coordinator might not be bad.

Cam's development has been part of the problem here. He still has a tendency for his mechanics to get sloppy, and right now, they're atrocious. Additionally, the read-option has been both a boon and a bust for him. And now that he's tired of getting pounded (often illegally, I might add) whenever he does run, it's become a liability here. A good OC (and QB coach) would've hammered into Cam long ago the need for solid pass mechanics and not just tell him "here...just run that thing you did so well in JUCO and college...oh, and just sling the ball off your back foot when the O-line can't block anyone". Shula is to BLAME for Cam's problems, not to laud for Cam's occasional brilliance. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Most of the Panthers offense has regressed in a big way, even when they were healthy. 

You try playing in a bad scheme and with slow and bad play calls for a while, see how long you stay motivated. 

No doubt Cam has regressed, he needs a new OC and a QB coach guru in his ear.

Sadly (or not), I couldn't watch any football this weekend.  But one thing I noticed in the replays (which I checked out a few) was the over all speed of play development.  Guys were able to fire off quickly and attack a defense.  You just don't see that from us.

The Read Option should be an important wrinkle, but it just can't be the basis of our offense.  Since we lack a quick game to mix in with the super long passes, it's much easier for teams to beat us.  They know each pass play is going to take 5 seconds to develop compared to other teams who can get the ball out fast.

This falls to Shula to do.  I can appreciate that he wants better players.  I get that, everyone done.  But he's got to play to his roster's strength.  Was this it?  Regardless, he has to adjust.  If he can't, then he's a dinosaur.

I love Cam, I do, but he's got to own this team.  Last year, everything went our way, and it was wonderful.  This year....it's the whole thing.  Cam has to be the agent of change, the face of the franchise.  He can't and we should ask, for others to like TD, Luke and Olsen to be the team leaders.  Cam needs to be that.  He's number 1 for a reason.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Shula has so much more talent to work with on his offense than many teams that are performing better. That is all that you need to know. 

well we have Cam.  In regards to what we have around our QB?  I wouldn't say he has more than a lot of teams.  I'd probably put us ahead of 7 in the NFC in terms of what we have around our QB.  Bears, Eagles, Bucs, Bears, Vikings, 49ers, Rams. 

Obviously, you can't exclude QB.  We have a cheat code at QB.  But that likely IMO is our biggest issue.   Cam is a cheat code and Carolina has struggled both in coaching and building around that.

So many factors going into this but the season will need a fall guy and looking around the team Shula is the most likely choice.  I'm glad Shula has stayed around as long as he has because I think he has been important for Cam's development, but at this stage a new offensive coordinator might not be bad.

Hmmm... almost nobody on this board wants to even mention Cam's development, let alone question it.

Watching both qb's last night I saw one throwing passes with purpose and conviction. I saw another flinging balls all over the lot hoping something would happen.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived