• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fuel to the Offensive (lack of) Fire

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I am all for a revamp of the offense.  Replace all the coaches. O-Line, RB, QB and OC and leave the WR alone.  Actually might not be a bad idea to promote R. Proehl to OC.

Thoughts on RP being our OC?  I would bet he would have more energy and be more innovative than Shula.  After all he was apart of the Greatest Show on Turf.  

Nah we need to keep Proehl as WR coach and hide Proehl from the rest of the league as long as possible. Ginn raves about how good of a teacher/mentor he is to the WR group and credited Proehl as a huge reason to him developing into a complete receiver instead of just a returner and deep threat. 

I'm a bigger fan these days of Ken Whisenhunt than I am Norv Turner. That is, assuming either he, Mike McCoy or both are let go from the Chargers (their record this year has McCoy on the hot seat).

Whisenhunt would bring an E-P system like the Steelers, Patriots and Cardinals run and would likely dump the read option.

Granted, I actually like Whisenhunt better as an OC under Frank Reich as a head coach, but hey...

27 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

Nah we need to keep Proehl as WR coach and hide Proehl from the rest of the league as long as possible. Ginn raves about how good of a teacher/mentor he is to the WR group and credited Proehl as a huge reason to him developing into a complete receiver instead of just a returner and deep threat. 

Position coaches: I'd keep Washington (and Mills), Holcomb and Wilks on the defensive side.

On offense, probably just Proehl and Hoener.  Nobody else really jumps out at me.  Maybe Jim Skipper but you'd probably have to talk me into it.

Coordinators?  I like McDermott but I'm not convinced he'd stay.  I'd keep Shula if he were a QB coach.  As an OC though?  No

Special teams?  Maybe give Chase Blackburn a chance to develop as an assistant but a new lead guy is needed.

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I am all for a revamp of the offense.  Replace all the coaches. O-Line, RB, QB and OC and leave the WR alone.  Actually might not be a bad idea to promote R. Proehl to OC.

Thoughts on RP being our OC?  I would bet he would have more energy and be more innovative than Shula.  After all he was apart of the Greatest Show on Turf.  

He has no experience at all designing plays or calling plays.

I've seen a lot of people being up Newton running (or lack of) as a driver for the issues with our run game. His attempts are down 1.3 per game from last season. The most attempts of his season was against the Chiefs. Last season was his most attempts a game in his career. He's running exactly the same amount as 2013. His per rush is down because the line is innefective.

All of these numbers are at your fingertips. if you have a theory about something look it up. See if the facts support your hunch.

One attempt a game is not the difference between our running game being what it was and what it's fallen to. It's the inability to block for the runners.

1 minute ago, csx said:

I've seen a lot of people being up Newton running (or lack of) as a driver for the issues with our run game. His attempts are down 1.3 per game from last season. The most attempts of his season was against the Chiefs. Last season was his most attempts a game in his career. He's running exactly the same amount as 2013. His per rush is down because the line is innefective.

All of these numbers are at your fingertips. if you have a theory about something look it up. See if the facts support your hunch.

One attempt a game is not the difference between our running game being what it was and what it's fallen to. It's the inability to block for the runners.

Well, this won't be a popular opinion, but if we want him to have a longer career, Newton needs to start running less.

For that to happen, both the coaching and the personnel will have to be adjusted to fit a more traditional style of offense.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, this won't be a popular opinion, but if we want him to have a longer career, Newton needs to start running less.

For that to happen, both the coaching and the personnel will have to be adjusted to fit a more traditional style of offense.

I really never have invisioned Cam having a long career.  The rushing is what makes him uniquely good. I have always thought he could do it until his early 30s and then he wouldn't hold up (then you need a new QB).   10ish years of being a beast ain't bad. 

2 hours ago, csx said:

Thinking objectively Proehl has not had very impressive results developing anyone. just being honest. everyone loves him but bitches about the receivers.

I'd have to disagree. KB has definitely progressed, and he was supposed to be super raw coming out of college.  I'd say he's done a great job with KB.  I didn't like the Funchess pick from the beginning; didn't like what I saw in college, didn't like what I saw early in his career, so even given his mediocre production this year it's been more than is expected from him.  Ginn without Proehl vs Ginn with Proehl?  Nuff said.  Brown's done alright for an UDFA. 

Archived