• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thumbs up from Luke

Jeremy Igo

This is the best news I have had all day, I felt just sick after seeing what happened last night. My wife and I met Luke in 2014 on the fan cruise, he is literally one of the nicest human beings you would ever want to meet. While I would not wish a concussion on any player, even those I truly despise, it really hit home for my family to see what happened last night because we feel a little more of a personal connection to Luke having met him and having gotten to interact with him. 

Thanks for sharing this!!!!!

Scott Fowler wrote a good article, regarding why we all feel so bad today...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article115607918.html

The shocking injury to Carolina Panthers middle linebacker Luke Kuechly -- who was being evaluated for a concussion following Carolina’s 23-20 victory over New Orleans Thursday night – is causing a rare emotional reaction in many fans. Here are five reasons I think it is so intense:

1. The tears. 

Kuechly was sobbing and having trouble catching his breath going off the field. He looked a lot like a kid who had just gotten badly hurt and had no idea what was wrong but needed his parents to scoop him up. To see one of the finest players the Panthers have ever had uncontrollably crying like that was a stunner.

2. NBC’s coverage. 

Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are two of the best announcers in the game. They picked up quickly on Kuechly crying, and Collinsworth spoke for many as he talked over the pictures and NBC’s merciless (but effective) zooming cameras. Collinsworth said Kuechly looked “just broken-hearted.”

“He was sobbing out on the field,” Collinsworth said on-air. “I don’t know what’s going on here.... Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I mean nobody loves the game of football and is loved by this city and is loved by his teammates more than that guy.”

3. The cart. 

If Kuechly had walked off -- and remember, he had been limping just the play before -- this would have had a different feel.

I am sure he really wanted to walk off. Every NFL player has pride. No one wants to be carted off. But Kuechly was. The cart’s long journey onto the field – and then its long journey back off, with the fans standing, clapping and yelling “Luuuuke” – stretched the emotion even further. So did the fact that so many players came up to check on Kuechly, including New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees and several other Saints.

4. The game situation.

The Panthers already had their fans in knots, and those fans were due for an emotional outpouring.

If this had been the second play of the game, that would have been one thing. But Carolina had already let a 23-3 lead get cut in half to 23-13 when the injury occurred with 4:41 left in the game. Everybody in Bank of America Stadium was anxious, hoping the Panthers weren’t about to blow another close one. Instead, this injury happens. And then the Panthers do win, which has pushed the team’s other problems to the background and brought Kuechly’s injury even more to the fore.

5. Kuechly’s remarkable popularity.

Just before the Super Bowl, Kuechly’s No. 59 was revealed to be the second-best selling jersey in all of America, trailing only Tom Brady (Cam Newton was fifth at the time).

While some fans – particularly the older generation – are less than enamored with Newton’s look-at-me celebrations, Kuechly receives universal praise from everyone. He is “Saint Luke.” In the Panthers’ stadium, there are more No. 59s than No. 1s every week – and a lot of that is due to the fact Kuechly is handsome and that a lot of women choose to wear his jersey.

So when you’re wearing a No. 59 and No. 59 is down and crying on the field, there is a visceral reaction. That feels like part of you down there, and that’s what happened Thursday night to thousands of Panthers fans.

Let’s hope he’s OK.

7 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I'm no doctor, but It looked like he got the wind knocked out of him completely and it was a very hard hit on his chest. It did not look like a concussion. Either way I am so glad he's fine, seeing him in that much agony was unbearable. 

He definitely had a concussion. When the brain sustains a concussion and gets all scrambled, it resorts to the basic survival instincts like breathing. That's likely why we saw him struggling to breath. We basically watched his brain do a HARD reset on national television.

A thumbs up and a "doing fine" is great but doesn't actually mean he is okay...More like, okay great he isn't in a hospital bed. I'm sure Michael Oher could have done the same when he got concussed earlier this year. I would have to think that his brain will need some recovery time after losing it like that last night... weeks if not the year.

3 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

A thumbs up and a "doing fine" is great but doesn't actually mean he is okay...More like, okay great he isn't in a hospital bed. I'm sure Michael Oher could have done the same when he got concussed earlier this year. I would have to think that his brain will need some recovery time after losing it like that last night... weeks if not the year.

I mean yea, we probably won't see Luke on the field for at least a few games if this season at all. This doesn't mean anything for his football prospects. But seeing him give a thumbs up is reassuring that he is ok as a person 

Archived