• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Poll: Grade the Offensive Play Calling

Jeremy Igo

Offensive Play Calling  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade the offensive play calling last night?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

38 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

How do you adjust to having to play your third strong center who rarely plays any position, your quarterback is having an off day, you have an OLine that is a sieve and your receivers are dropping the ball on every series. Your run game is averaging 2 yards a carry and the opposing defense it blitzing and loading the box all night ? Exactly what adjustments do you make?

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

How about not using long developing plays and broken read option plays?

Shula's constant HB Dive plays (or fancy pants variants) remind me of none other than Dan Henning and his damn draw plays towards the end of this time here. Instead of DeShaun Foster smashing into the back of the offensive line, now it's Jonathan Stewart.

When was the last time this team ran an outside run play? I know Turner and Norwell are stout but good lord.

14 hours ago, teeray said:

Fine.  Shula isn't the problem.  This is a tired narrative 

Everyone wanted Hue Jackson because of his genius play calling.  How is the Browns' offense looking?

Everyone wanted Norv Turner.  Is he even still employed?

If you can't run the ball and can't protect the QB it doesn't matter who the OC is, the fact that our offense is as good as it is is amazing

Who is the Browns QB? Lol at trying comparing to compare that dumpster fire team with what he could do as the OC for Car. 

When you can't run the ball and the OL can not pass block you must design a scheme around the short passing game. 

Which we have not done. 

Can someone with Coaches Film please go and do an analysis of our offensive scheme / playcalling. 

1) Are we running the ball like a dumbass against a stacked box? How often? Likewise are we spreading them out and running on light boxes? How often?

2) On passing plays do we have level concepts on every play ie short, medium, and deep routes? How often?

3) On what % of passing plays do we have a check down? 

4) Is Cam making his reads from short to deep or deep to short?

5) How many times does that cost us in a sack or incomplete when we could have had positive yards or even a 1st down?

6) Are our passing plays effective against man and zone? Or are they low % against both man and zone ie go routes

7) How long is Cam holding on to the ball? Is he making progressions within the 3-4 second window that he ought to be? 

8) What D did the Saints play most of the game ie man or zone? Where they covering short or giving that up? Did we attack their weakness on following plays going off tendencies? 

Fine.  Shula isn't the problem.  This is a tired narrative 

Everyone wanted Hue Jackson because of his genius play calling.  How is the Browns' offense looking?

Everyone wanted Norv Turner.  Is he even still employed?

If you can't run the ball and can't protect the QB it doesn't matter who the OC is, the fact that our offense is as good as it is is amazing

This end thread

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Our offense is too gimmicky and inconsistent in method.

Its like we are half a college offense with the read option and end around runs/fake runs. And then we either go HB dive or a long developing down field pass play. Hence why teams caught on a blitzkrieg Cam. Plus we flip flop between the two but with no consistency. It also doesn't help that our HC goes for the jugular one moment and turns into John Fox the next.

I'd love to see Cam run the Derek Anderson playbook for a game. I'd love to see a commitment to a traditional running game. While I am under no illusion that Rivera is getting fired, I'd like him to bring in an assistant from the Patriots/Chiefs/Bengals because outside of needing a young stud at RB we have the personnel to dominate. Especially running an offense like the Chiefs or Bengals. Funchess is a pure #1, KB is a redzone-short yardage nightmare, and Philly who needs to play more is the perfect slot guy. I think that the coaches don't trust Cam's accuracy but in the hurry up he is money more often than not. In a blast from the past, if my opinionated but unqualified self was calling plays you would see us running the Jim Kelly K-Gun, Sam Wyche no huddle offense that also empathized the running game out of base sets.

My choices for offensive coordinator would be James Urban, Eric Bienemy, or Chad O'Shea. Thinking outside the box, if you want to commit to the funkier offensive, Art Briles. 

6 hours ago, PrimeTimeHeel said:

Who is the Browns QB? Lol at trying comparing to compare that dumpster fire team with what he could do as the OC for Car. 

When you can't run the ball and the OL can not pass block you must design a scheme around the short passing game. 

Which we have not done. 

Short passing game?  With 8 or nine people in the box?  If 8 or 9 people are in the box where are all the defenders?  Right where you want your short passing game to be.

Not to mention that doesn't play to Cam Newton's strengths as a down field 10+ yard passer.  Cam is actually less accurate on short passes than intermediate passes 

So you want to design an offense that works against your QB's strengths and throwing the ball where the defense is rather than where it isn't.

Archived