• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton goal line sack is on him.

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

So the consensus is that we bench Cam and let a mediocre wh...I mean quarterback come in and read the field and come up perfect, even behind this line.

Above is what you started with....meaning that's what everyone in this thread is leading toward.....when not one person mentioned anything like that.

Do you know what consensus means?

But it was/is. You guys are talking like he's just bad and not a normal QB slump bad. "6 years, same mistakes..." 

Dont do this because you're in your feelings over Cam not tossing a ball to Ed "I'll drop it" Dickson. 

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I hated the contracts of Stew and Williams, not the players...you know that.

I'm just saying that this team did have some talent the first couple years Cam was here, not that we couldn't do better.

As to the focal point...I 100% agree with you.  I wanted talent brought in, but that didn't happen...that said, I'm not positive that there was that much talent out there to be honest...at least at the T position.

I'm not saying we didn't have talent at all. We did. We absolutely fleeced the Bears when we traded for Olsen. Yeah Hurney sucked overall as a GM, but the guy did casually walk us into Cam Newton, Greg Olsen, and Luke Kuechly all in consecutive years.

But the fact of the matter is, we are a defensive team, and a running team. That is the identity that our staff wants. Problem is our OL all too frequently has not been up to the task, and we've depended on Newton often to pickup the slack in the run game as a result. Like I said, do you think it's just a coincidence that we ended up almost going undefeated, and appearing in the Super Bowl the same season that we finally got a consistent threat in our run game not named Cam Newton?

All that being said, right now, many players on our team need to play better, Newton included.

But the issues with our OL have been brewing for years. I remember at one point just maybe 2 years ago quite a few posters even thought we should move on from Kalil because he didn't look so great while playing beside scrubs. That would have worked out marvelously am I right?

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

I'm not saying we didn't have talent at all. We did. We absolutely fleeced the Bears when we traded for Olsen. Yeah Hurney sucked overall as a GM, but the guy did casually walk us into Cam Newton, Greg Olsen, and Luke Kuechly all in consecutive years.

But the fact of the matter is, we are a defensive team, and a running team. That is the identity that our staff wants. Problem is our OL all too frequently has not been up to the task, and we've depended on Newton often to pickup the slack in the run game as a result. Like I said, do you think it's just a coincidence that we ended up almost going undefeated, and appearing in the Super Bowl the same season that we finally got a consistent threat in our run game not named Cam Newton?

All that being said, right now, many players on our team need to play better, Newton included.

But the issues with our OL have been brewing for years. I remember at one point just maybe 2 years ago quite a few posters even thought we should move on from Kalil because he didn't look so great while playing beside scrubs. That would have worked out marvelously am I right?

I totally agree with everything you said.

I'm a huge OL/DL guy...I actually fall in line with DG on that...even though he hasn't been able to pull off the OL side of things.

With an above average/good O line, I think that the sky is the limit for Cam, but we aren't there yet.  I'm all in on pushing all of the chips onto the table this offseason, especially if we can improve the O line....I have rarely, if ever wanted to spend big in FA...but the time has come.  Hopefully DG sees this as well.

6 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

But it was/is. You guys are talking like he's just bad and not a normal QB slump bad. "6 years, same mistakes..." 

Dont do this because you're in your feelings over Cam not tossing a ball to Ed "I'll drop it" Dickson. 

One poster said that, not the consensus of the posters in this thread.

Learn to overlook the idiots...know what, I need to do the same.

3 hours ago, beastson said:

Keyed in on? He was the 1st option on the play

The problem was the way he turned

Sent from my HTC One M9 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Glad I read on instead of responding to the op immediately like I was going to, heh. That's what I was going to say, Olsen was his first read, then Cam spun around to get away from pressure only to find...more pressure that took him down. It wasn't a long drawn out play where Cam zeroed in on Olsen for a long time, just happened to spin into pressure that was behind him. 

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

The problem right now is we've been getting by on merely putting bandaids on our OL ever since Gross retired in hopes that Newton can compensate for the difference on sheer talent alone. We've now finally reached the breaking point that no bandaid can fix it anymore. We should have put forth a better effort in the offseason to address the OT depth, but we didnt, and now, like the Colts that you insisted on injecting into the convo, out failure has blown up in our faces. It's that simple.

Newton gets critiqued constantly coast-to-coast on every goddam sports channel and every web site and by a hefty portion of this here so-called "fan" site.

He receives PLENTY of critique.  What he doesn't receive near enough of is fair treatment.

But those of us who dare put a more positive spin on someone else's view which could validly and fairly be looked at from a different angle receive the "Cam nut-hugger you can't even be impartial hur hur hur" treatment.

So be it.  Somebody's got to fugging be on his side.  The Nut Huggers aren't anywhere near large enough numbers to balance out the vitriol of the sell-outs and the haters.

14 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Glad I read on instead of responding to the op immediately like I was going to, heh. That's what I was going to say, Olsen was his first read, then Cam spun around to get away from pressure only to find...more pressure that took him down. It wasn't a long drawn out play where Cam zeroed in on Olsen for a long time, just happened to spin into pressure that was behind him. 

Agreed.

When Cam made his spin, he was 10 yards behind the LOS.

On the side where we had AN EXTRA OFFENSIVE LINEMAN lined up behind the hip of the left tackle, maybe (just maybe), after his spin away from the pressure coming right into his face, Cam was friggin' shocked that a pass rusher from the side where AN EXTRA OFFENSIVE LINEMAN had line up came in un-fugging-touched.

42 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

Right. That 6 years, same mistakes comment threw me for a loop. Like what does that even mean? He was the got damn MVP last year; meaning he was the best player in the league. 

19 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Newton gets critiqued constantly coast-to-coast on every goddam sports channel and every web site and by a hefty portion of this here so-called "fan" site.

He receives PLENTY of critique.  What he doesn't receive near enough of is fair treatment.

But those of us who dare put a more positive spin on someone else's view which could validly and fairly be looked at from a different angle receive the "Cam nut-hugger you can't even be impartial hur hur hur" treatment.

So be it.  Somebody's got to fugging be on his side.  The Nut Huggers aren't anywhere near large enough numbers to balance out the vitriol of the sell-outs and the haters.

Right!

I think Cam has had some issues and made mistakes but this one instance is RIDICULOUS. Zod, I normally agree with you on this forum but this was a pitiful thread and pure click bait. I thought you were better than that. Fact is Cam went into a 5 step drop on play action, spun and checked for Olsen, went from Olsen to Tolbert and there was a jailbreak coming at him. He spun to the opposite side hoping to escape pressure and got met with a jailbreak from the other side. 

The problem here is not Cam Newton, the problem on this play is absolutely ATROCIOUS oline play and play calling from our almighty OC. Why do you call for a deep drop and play action with a terrible oline 1 yd from pay dirt?? Cam up the gut, Jstew up the gut, roll outs, straight 3-5 step drops, allllll were better options than a deep drop with a play action. Shula just doesn't have room in his brain to understand short and quick developing plays. 

Archived