• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second half scoring... what happened?

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, 15 said:

well the problem vs. Kansas City is that we chose to keep throwing the ball which resulted in a game changing turnover. we simply can't run the ball effectively in the second half like last season so we're kinda stuck between staying aggressive and clock control. 

Unfortunately we all but had to throw in those situations because we continually started off deep in our own territory because our special teams unit is, um, not too good to put it kindly.

Historically we have faltered as a team when having to lean on Cam as our primary leading rusher. How this fact escaped our front office to the point that in the offseason they just said "we're good, no worries" regarding the question marks on our OL after witnessing us going 17-2 with a consistent run game not heavily involving Cam Newton is simply astounding.

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Other teams make adjustments during the half while we don't. Coaching staff needs to go.

Its really no other reason lol. Some people are in serious denial. If any other team in 2016 offense blew leads in the 2nd half over and over, they would be fired. Only Ronald with no sense of urgency thinks everything is all on the players

2 minutes ago, beastson said:

Its really no other reason lol. Some people are in serious denial. If any other team in 2016 offense blew leads in the 2nd half over and over, they would be fired. Only Ronald with no sense of urgency thinks everything is all on the players

How was there no sense of urgency?

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Scoring in the second half is way down this year. Huge contributor to the 3-6 record. 

Theories as to why the second half presents more problems for the offense?

Adjustments. We don't make adjustments. Never have. This is a trend.

I know it's been mentioned a few times but the 10 minutes drive in the 3rd quarter of the KC game is all you need to look at to know how bad our coaching is. Absolutely inexcusable to not come away with points there in such a crucial situation. 3 points there almost guarantees a victory. How as a coach you don't realize that is mind boggling.

22 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

CB is fine with Bradberry back. At RB we're more than ok with Whitaker and Artis-Payne. OT is better than teams like Seattle, Minnesota Chicago, etc 

DE is the only one I agree with. I think Gettleman really needs to take a chance on freaks but unfinished prospects like Nassib or Hunter. Both look insanely good. 

Yea I just don't agree at all. Bradberry is our only NFL quality CB (though I'd say McClain is decent enough in the slot usually), Fozzy is ok but if we're going to be this run heavy team we need two good RBs like the heyday of double trouble, at OPTIMAL health our OT situation is on par with those teams with subpar OTs. With Oher perpetually seeing stars we're worse imo. I wanted Ogbah, Dodd or Nassib so bad this year...

Truth. 

People keep acting like we can just continuously scheme out of some pretty glaring flaws.  We go into every game already scheming around them as is.  We are very limited once a team counters that in game. 

Especially against defenses with solid talent.  Which is why the good defenses completely shut us down at the half. 

All true as well, we barely can run the scheme we have now with the personnel and if we did make adjustments we still don't have the players to execute it. Like you said we game plan all week, and I'm sure our coaching staff knows our weaknesses but what can be done differently?

I ask the people who say we need to make adjustments, honest question what can be done?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I am one of the only people here that blame the coaching staff equally for the penalties as the players. In any other industry, repeated careless mistakes (block in the back on returns) are placed upon the bosses as much as the employees, if not more so. 

But in most any other business the bosses get to hire and fire their folks if they don't excel. The coaches are stuck with who they are given and due to the salary cap and limits on personnel, you are often stuck with a player even if they screw up multiple times. Look how many boneheaded plays Benjamin has made. Do you think you can just fire him or even sit him? Most starters are only held somewhat accountable because you need them to play even when they screw up and cost you games. Most jobs have talent pool of thousands of guys who can be readily replaced. The NFL team has 53 guys and very few replacements except in cases of injury.

On 11/16/2016 at 4:47 PM, Cpt slay a ho said:

All true as well, we barely can run the scheme we have now with the personnel and if we did make adjustments we still don't have the players to execute it. Like you said we game plan all week, and I'm sure our coaching staff knows our weaknesses but what can be done differently?

I ask the people who say we need to make adjustments, honest question what can be done?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

But supposedly we have this top tier offense

Archived