• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second half scoring... what happened?

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Thus is mainly a Rivera-Shula problem because it's one of mentality, and the coaches set the mentality of the team. We need more of a killer instinct.

Now where the players fall in and are forced to take responsibility is in the lack of execution. But, still I believe it's 40 percent Rivera, as the HC who is reluctant to step on toes, 35 percent Shula, and 25 percent players.

Not scientific at all, just a guesstimate. But the coaches set the tone and are ultimately responsible for the "chess" game with the coaches on the other side.

To be fair our defense typically falters in the second half too. 

I don't mind dancing and mugging for the camera but my pet peave has become them doing it in the first half when they know they suck in the second. get that poo done and then celebrate. it's a full team problem.....coaches and players

If every ugly loss comes down to "not executing", as Rivera puts it, at some point you look at the coaches for not having the players prepared.

All this talk about the run game stubbornness, and just think, if Carolina played it safe with a run instead of taking consecutive sacks after the 20 play drive they might have come out with the W.

12 minutes ago, csx said:

To be fair our defense typically falters in the second half too. 

Does it really? Or is it the offense putting the defense in bad positions? I mean, you could be right, but I really don't believe that a defense can be expected to keep a team out of the red zone or the end zone the whole game through (unless the opposition just sucks). I think it comes down to whether or not a defense holds up enough to put their offense in a position to win. Our defense has largely done that for the last month, even with a secondary that is one of the bottom feeders in the league (which falls on Gettleman in my mind).

It's certainly a question that begs complex answers that are not totally right or wrong. Hell, who the fug really knows? One thing I think that we can all agree on is that some things need to change.

To me, even dating back to last season, it has been a complete lack of focus and execution from players. Some of the most routine things become awkward and difficult. Penalties, dropped passes, missed throws, missed blocking assignments, turnovers, etc. Things we are doing well in the first half seem to become more and more difficult as the game progresses. And that's 100% on the coaching staff IMO.

4 minutes ago, DirtyMagic97 said:

To me, even dating back to last season, it has been a complete lack of focus and execution from players. Some of the most routine things become awkward and difficult. Penalties, dropped passes, missed throws, missed blocking assignments, turnovers, etc. Things we are doing well in the first half seem to become more and more difficult as the game progresses. And that's 100% on the coaching staff IMO.

We have a bunch of quitting moody millennials on the roster.

This is a bad joke

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Does it really? Or is it the offense putting the defense in bad positions? I mean, you could be right, but I really don't believe that a defense can be expected to keep a team out of the red zone or the end zone the whole game through (unless the opposition just sucks). I think it comes down to whether or not a defense holds up enough to put their offense in a position to win. Our defense has largely done that for the last month, even with a secondary that is one of the bottom feeders in the league (which falls on Gettleman in my mind).

It's certainly a question that begs complex answers that are not totally right or wrong. Hell, who the fug really knows? One thing I think that we can all agree on is that some things need to change.

I think it's part of it. they have the ability to be a shutdown defense at times but then look like nothing special.

2 minutes ago, DirtyMagic97 said:

I just have a hard time not ascribing some responsibility to the players. I mean, these guys are professionals. Cam has been in the league long enough to know that you can't throw a back foot lame duck into coverage and expect a positive result. KB can't let a guy mug him for the ball anytime, much less with the game on the line. Sometimes a player just has to man up and blame himself---nobody else. That's a 100 percent player problem. Now, of course, we really would probably have not been in such a perilous pisition with more effective play calling. 

It's conditioning. Watch the games and notice the energy the team has in the first half. The second half is an entirely different story by the halfway point in the third quarter. Blocking starts getting sloppy (those O-linemen never get rotated out), our routes start taking longer to develop. On defense, the tackling starts getting sloppy and holes start opening up in the line that weren't there before. Our DBs, because of how thin we are start getting beat worse and they are getting less and less help from our safeties, who never getting a break, are run ragged going from run support to deep coverage.

Bene got fired for this if you remember.

Heck, even Cam starts losing his zip in the second half.

I think the vets are still tired from last year's loooong season and the emotions it pushed through. And they had three more games of bumps and bruises to recover from than anyone else in the NFC South. Comes offseason activities and summer camp, those vets are still sore and not as recovered as they'd like and your new guys don't get challenged by them as much as before.

The coaches themselves, since there's no turnover, are probably just burned out as they had less time to recover as well. Remember that most coaching staff members turn in an 80+ hour week during the season, each week, plus travel times, if not more. The offseason is still pretty tough for them, but maybe only 60 hours a week.

Only two ways through it, though. Keep pushing and break through the wall until it becomes the norm (long season, less recovery) or wither on the vine, shorten the season and hope you can keep the team together and get them rested for next year.

#1 there is the way to go. #2 can be the end of the line.

6 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Offensive line. That 20 play drive that ended with two sacks was very telling 

I think the O-line plays a part in this, but considering the circumstances, they've held up better than I expected. That being said, we still need the same upgrade at Tackle that we've needed for years, so I think Gettleman bears most of that responsibility as well. We've got to get that line and secondary right. It's the only way we're going to win the Lombardi.

if you think about it we been blowing leads since ron rivera came in , we always go up and let the foot off the petal in the second instead of blowing out teams. lets look just this year blown lead vs 49ers, cards,rams but survived , broncos,vikings,bucs and chiefs we all blew the lead and lost . if we played all 4 quarters we would have 1 loss on the season .

Archived