• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second half scoring... what happened?

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

How about the stupid and reckless penalties?

Coaching. 

I am one of the only people here that blame the coaching staff equally for the penalties as the players. In any other industry, repeated careless mistakes (block in the back on returns) are placed upon the bosses as much as the employees, if not more so. 

Run game becomes more crucial towards the end of the game. Our OL can't run block for poo, so when we're still desperately trying to establish our run game late in the 3rd quarter, it isn't too difficult for teams to just start teeing off on our QB.

The 2016 offseason will haunt me for awhile

I want to be profound, but, it coaching. Now, is it coaching because Rivera doesn't want to run up the score and prefers to run out the clock? Or, is it a JR thing about not embarrassing the other team? Multiple coaching staffs have been this way. Score 17-24 then let up. And it bites us in the ass almost every time. Rise repeat...

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

I always thought the run game was more important at the start of the game. Wears defense out, sets up the pass. 

Well you left out the other bit. My statement was basically saying we never really establish it. Not even Stewart could get much going last week.

Fozzy finally broke off a few late.

But, like you said, it's supposed to set up the pass, but that doesn't work when your quarterback is your leading rusher on the day.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I always thought the run game was more important at the start of the game. Wears defense out, sets up the pass. 

I've always heard you run to close out the game when you have a good lead. We've never been good at that part.

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Run game becomes more crucial towards the end of the game. Our OL can't run block for poo, so when we're still desperately trying to establish our run game late in the 3rd quarter, it isn't too difficult for teams to just start teeing off on our QB.

The 2016 offseason will haunt me for awhile

This.

We're a team that wants to run the ball that can't run. Our longest run in the second half Sunday was Fozzy's 7 yarder. We have a coaching staff that absolutely refuses to adjust and no matter what will continue to try and run the ball because that's what they believe in. 

We ran a damn option play on 2nd and 10 or whatever it was after a Stewart failed run that set up a 3rd and long resulting in the pick 6. 

Between the coaching staffs stubbornness and our inability to run block ("top 5 OL" lol) we don't stand much of a chance

3 minutes ago, csx said:

I've always heard you run to close out the game when you have a good lead. We've never been good at that part.

Especially when your offense continually starts off deep in their own territory.

You can only drive 80+ yards with minimal gains from your running backs so many times before the wheels start to fall off.

Which is why when people start screaming like hyenas when Cam throws a pick in these above discussed conditions, I just shake my f*cking head.

Thus is mainly a Rivera-Shula problem because it's one of mentality, and the coaches set the mentality of the team. We need more of a killer instinct.

Now where the players fall in and are forced to take responsibility is in the lack of execution. But, still I believe it's 40 percent Rivera, as the HC who is reluctant to step on toes, 35 percent Shula, and 25 percent players.

Not scientific at all, just a guesstimate. But the coaches set the tone and are ultimately responsible for the "chess" game with the coaches on the other side.

26 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Scoring in the second half is way down this year. Huge contributor to the 3-6 record. 

Theories as to why the second half presents more problems for the offense?

all teams go into our matchup knowing we are undermanned on the OL.  We were last year and teams allowed us to get by scheming with our max protection (then Wade Phillips called out the NFL and told them what to do).

So this year teams basically take the first half to see how we are giving help to our OL each week based on matchups (because how you give it depends on opponent).....and then adjust in the 2nd half.

Everyone then says well all Shula has to do is adjust again but when you are out manned body on body there is only so much window dressing and help you can do.  We start off every game adjusting to aid our OL before a single play has been run. Then teams just see who and how we are giving up.   Then the offense dies.  Run game disappears and teams are flat on top of Newton (a quick pass game doesn't even have time often, not that our WRs are built for that either)

Big men allow you to compete upfront as Gettlemen says....

Archived