• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Read Option at its finest...

Jeremy Igo

I believe that was an entire team-wide derping. 

It's embarassing, but we look like the Jaguars or the Browns. 

Maybe Cam's new baby isn't sleeping through the night yet and keeping him awake and he's calling offensive players all night to talk him through it. Hell, at this point, who really knows? 

Maybe Ron went Hollywood after being in "disguise" for those ticket exchange commercials. 

I mean, at this point we're one butt fumble or "Wrong way Leon!!!!" away from the Football Follies reels. Maybe we'd do much better if we just decided to laugh at it all.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

giphy.gif

5th year running the read option, and still no one has any idea what to do. Blame the players all you want, but they apparently have not been taught very well. Who are the teachers again?

few plays work when you block 3 guys and just let the 4th run right into the handoff. 

3 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

He bought himself a season last year with how well we performed, he has to many excuses that could cause him to be retained for at least one more season due to injuries across the offensive line, and Stewart for several games. I'd like to see Dorsey call the plays if we want to maintain playbook consistency.

As a fan I should not be able to guess our offensive plays more often that not, most of us can tell when it's a run or pass. You don't think DC's and players can as well. We telegraph so badly, this offense has ZERO pace, I understand keeping your defense fresh, but when you can't score points, to make an opponent one dimensional you are still asking your defense to do a ton of work.

We were able to see a good pass rush because we actually scored points, forcing teams to become one dimensional and the rushers could tee off. Now, we play it close to the vest and it allows teams to stick to their game plans, because we are going three and out in the second half damn near every possession.

Im with you! I never played a lick of organized football but i know our plays 95 percent of the time. Its sad. I was at the bar the other day calling out each play before it happened. Imagine what pro coaches see. Im really over shula and this simple offense. We need a change up

4 hours ago, lightsout said:

Since some clearly don't understand the blocking scheme, allow me to explain.

In the option, you have a read man. In this instance, it's the DE at the top. He is unblocked because he is determining dive or keep. Williams, then, goes to reach the interior lineman. Trai is supposed to chip and get to linebackers level, but they blitz off the dive read's edge with their outside backer. Williams sees it, peels off the reach inside to pick that blitzer up. Trai takes the DT.

Cam sees the blitz as well, so instead of pulling and running off tackle, as designed, he now is filtered inside... where the blocking didn't work because the blitz caused the right side to remain static instead of moving up and creating space.

The play itself was fine. Just a good counter play by the defense that stopped it. Let's not forget we ran the same read option 3 times in a row for 5 yard gains later in the game.

So what you're saying is, once again, defenses successfully adjusted to stop Mike Shula's scheme and Shula responded with this:

mike_shula.jpg

We need to stop building our offense around Cam's running ability. Build a god damn run game that can sustain itself without this read option bullsh*t and without Cam running. Once you build that and then add in Cam's running ability the offense will be tremendously more successful.

Exactely. I am tired of the read option. I was never a big fan to begin with, even when it goes well. Let Cam develop as a pocket passer and then scramble/run when he has to like Elway, Young , and other great QBs have done and played very successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

11 hours ago, thomas96 said:

We need to stop building our offense around Cam's running ability. Build a god damn run game that can sustain itself without this read option bullsh*t and without Cam running. Once you build that and then add in Cam's running ability the offense will be tremendously more successful.

Get better tackles and that will happen. Look how they get blown up. 

Archived