• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton - Time for Cam to stop pouting

Jeremy Igo

25 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Huh? Interviews? 

Does he have to literally cry in front of a microphone to be a "leader"?

Different strokes for different folks.

Realistically, anyone reading too far into press conferences of all things in the midst of a 1-5 record don't need to be taken very seriously anyway. Priorities. 

Cam should be held to the same standard as every QB in the league, past and present, in all things. The NFL requires its players to be available to the media, and as the QB and face of a franchise, it's a given that reporters are going to be in your face asking all manner of questions, particularly after a loss (and even more so when the season seems to be tanking). That's just the way it is. People don't have to like it, but from the league's perspective, everyone should understand why they do it. It's not that big of a deal, unless the player decides that he is going to be non-compliant. If a player doesn't want to "play the game," then it's really not a surprise if/when he gets called on it. 

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Cam should be held to the same standard as every QB in the league, past and present, in all things. The NFL requires its players to be available to the media, and as the QB and face of a franchise, it's a given that reporters are going to be in your face asking all manner of questions, particularly after a loss (and even more so when the season seems to be tanking). That's just the way it is. People don't have to like it, but from the league's perspective, everyone should understand why they do it. It's not that big of a deal, unless the player decides that he is going to be non-compliant. If a player doesn't want to "play the game," then it's really not a surprise if/when he gets called on it. 

Your argument would hold some semblance of merit if Newton were simply refusing to show up for these press conferences at all.

These interviews where our local media tries to dig for controversy to further their own interests have absolutely zero impact on game days.

If witnessing a player grovel to the media like a submissive puppy makes any fan feel better about a last minute loss to a division rival, that fan is not worth conversing with. That's the loser mentality that has festered within this franchise for years, and frankly it's the sort of mentality that has helped in preventing us from having a winning record in back to back seasons as a franchise. Nearly 30 years. I'll take the players who refuse to accept defeat everyday of the week. Point blank period. People can take that defeatist bullshit down the street.

Just now, TheRed said:

Your argument would hold some semblance of merit if Newton were simply refusing to show up for these press conferences at all.

These interviews where our local media tries to dig for controversy to further their own interests have absolutely zero impact on game days.

If witnessing a player grovel to the media like a submissive puppy makes any fan feel better about a last minute loss to a division rival, that fan is not worth conversing with. That's the loser mentality that has festered within this franchise for years, and frankly it's the sort of mentality that has helped in preventing us from having a winning record in back to back seasons as a franchise. Nearly 30 years. I'll take the players who refuse to accept defeat everyday of the week. Point black period. People can take that defeatist bullshit down the street.

Personally, I don't care about player press conferences. I want to hear from the people in charge.  The NFL is the one that sets the standards---not fans, not reporters---and I wouldn't be surprised if the league office doesn't rethink, design and define tougher standards in light of the antics of players who rebel against league expectations regarding press conferences.

Part of player's job is to face the media, in good times and bad times. There are plenty of people who didn't have success in the NFL who have been through the process, as well as decorated HOFERs. Win or lose, victory or defeat, it's a part of the job. And, it's a damned good job to have, even if you have to face the media after a loss.

This organization and fanbase doesn't deserve Cam....

If Cam was in any other team the fanbase and anyone involved in the organization would rally behind Cam instead of finding ways to put down their MVP QB. BBR pulled this BS too after the SB. These guys are supposed to be on our side. 

I'm ready for Cam to change his approach.

the media is clearly playing a game and he falls for it. He just needs to call them on it, move on in his presser, and get through it.

this is the media.

media:. Cam this must hurt 

next question: Cam, how frustrating was it 

next question:. Cam can you talk about how frustrating it is

next question: Cam you recall a time when you were more frustrated 

Cam gives them the reaction they are now baiting him for.  He just needs to call them on it and tell them to ask him some football questions and handle it like a big boy.  I don't mind irritated but dude is getting older.  Cecil should ask Cam to think about how Choosen is suppose to learn about dealing with adversity through these pressers.  Cam can do better.  He needs to.  Gotta suck it and be up better.  All greats take it on the chin at points.  Media at this point is playing Cam like a fiddle. 

19 minutes ago, El Dandy said:

I don't really give two shits how he treats the media, I'm just tired of his in game pouting. He'll get sacked one time and his lip will start dragging on the ground. You can just tell that he loses all fire and gives up sometimes. 

You're writing this after he helped the team come back from a 21-0 hole only to lose by a last 20 second field goal.  That doesn't sound like he gave up.  

Week 1, helped rally the team from behind.

Week 2 win

Week 3 Vikes outplayed us.

Week 4 Julio NOOOOOOOO well poo.

Week 5 didn't play.

Which game did he give up on?  Vikes game?  

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Je answered the question..no different than riveria saying thats hindsight 20/20 not going there..Next question is not going there..different wording same meaning..i saw nothing wrong..yea he said the same answers..but really same questions just in different  ways...holding someone accountable means he shows up and answers does not say how he has to say it what he says or how he looks..but show up and answer questions..dont like the answer move on from question stop trying to rewprd the question like he is dumb and dont know what you doing...

46 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Personally, I don't care about player press conferences. I want to hear from the people in charge.  The NFL is the one that sets the standards---not fans, not reporters---and I wouldn't be surprised if the league office doesn't rethink, design and define tougher standards in light of the antics of players who rebel against league expectations regarding press conferences.

Part of player's job is to face the media, in good times and bad times. There are plenty of people who didn't have success in the NFL who have been through the process, as well as decorated HOFERs. Win or lose, victory or defeat, it's a part of the job. And, it's a damned good job to have, even if you have to face the media after a loss...Media waisting their time by trying to be smart...Ask a different question its not Cams fault that they asked the same question in their session..You see he is frustrated what kind of question is that...

24 minutes ago, El Dandy said:

I don't really give two shits how he treats the media, I'm just tired of his in game pouting. He'll get sacked one time and his lip will start dragging on the ground. You can just tell that he loses all fire and gives up sometimes. 

Did you not see the Panthers go down 21-0 on the road and fought back to tie it, only to lose it at the end?

Did you not see Cam get illegally hit all game against the Broncos and still managed to put Gano in position to win it?

poo he was on the verge on trying to bring the Panthers back in ATL before he got concussed

What's the matter with you man. How often do you watch other teams and QB's, cause they all look down when nothing is going right. What are they supposed to do? Smile so you can complain they don't care

Stop focusing on irrelevant poo. Focus on the reason the Panthers are 1-5

31 minutes ago, El Dandy said:

I don't think Cam ever gives up.  I think frustration impacts him though 

Newton took the most blatant helmet to helmet hits on a quarterback in a single game I have ever seen. Yet he still led his team to a potential game winning field goal in Mile High against the Super Bowl Champs who actually improved their team in the offseason following that first win versus the Panthers who decided it was a good idea to keep a swiss cheese OL after watching Newton get pounded on in the Super Bowl. Yet he isn't a leader, and "gives up" when things get tough? L O f*cking L to that.

Archived