• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It is Coach's Film Tuesday! Saints game observations...

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

So then protection needs to slid to the left side of the line where Norwell picks up 55. It's crazy to expect Remmers to be responsible for two potential rushers. Since it's play action then Stew can't get 32 if he rushes. Tackles are taught to block from the outside in and Remmers has zero help outside him. His first move has to be to take 32.

32 didn't blitz. And frankly Remmers shouldn't have expected him to blitz. Remmers needed to take care of the LBer who's a pass rusher and let Cam worry about 32. DB blitzes are designed to get straight to the CB, and fast because it leaves a glaring hole in the secondary and leaves a receiver wide open right away. If Remmers takes his man and 32 blitzes, it's then Cam's job to recognize that and get a quick pass off to the open receiver before the DB gets there. Greg would've been wide open if 32 blitzed there and a QB like Brady who specializes in those quick passes and understands the defense would easily get it off to him and have a pretty big gain. Had 32 blitzed and Remmers took the LB and handled him Cam should be able to get the quick pass off to a wide open Greg. But 32 didn't blitz so if Remmers just handled the LB like he should've then there'd be much less pressure and possibly no sack. However 90 was close as well so there were issues on that play other than Remmers' man.

20 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Greg would've been wide open if 32 blitzed there and a QB like Brady who specializes in those quick passes and understands the defense would easily get it off to him and have a pretty big gain. Had 32 blitzed and Remmers took the LB and handled him Cam should be able to get the quick pass off to a wide open Greg.

Greg isn't getting to the other side of the formation before 32 gets to Cam.

What if 32 blitzes and 55 drops into coverage? Now Remmers is blocking no one, 32 has a free shot on Cam and 55 eliminates any possibility that Olsen could be open for a quick dump. Then we are killing Remmers again for letting the outside rusher get a free shot on Cam's blindside. Remmers has to respect 32's potential to rush when he has absolutely zero help outside him.

The only scenario that covers every potential rusher is Remmers on 32 and Norwell on 55 with Stew picking up a potential blitz from 52. Whether Norwell missed the assignment, Cam didn't get the line in the right protection or Kalil didn't(I'm not 100% whose responsibility it is between Cam and Kalil) is unknown but Remmers made the correct play by stepping outside first to eliminate 32's potential rush.

1 hour ago, greghardy'sAK-47 said:

The defense really is as close to as bad as it gets just looking at a little bit of film to point out what we already know.  The offenses have really figured it out.  Ends can't draw the doubles off of the talented tackles.  Secondary can't holdup against max protect, two wideout sets.  Blitz getting picked apart.  LBs playing very reactionary, way off the line, can't attack LOS on run plays.  Just a snowball effect of bad D and offensive coaches seeing the same film we see and scheming against it (not that hard if you have a competent offense).  

Sad to say, but you're right.  Ron's defense is about as predictable, schematically and personnel-wise, as it comes.

Even more so than Shula's offense.

*shocked face*

48 minutes ago, Bartin said:

If that was supposed to be play action then that was the worst play action fake I've ever seen in my life.

I would have to agree with that.  If you watch it in slo-mo the LBs are actually dropping back as the supposed fake happens.

Also if you just ignore the safety I'm not convinced Cam can hit Olsen in time like someone else suggested.  Olsen started on the other side of the formation.  I think the safety would get cam before Olsen would come across.

Without knowing the protection calls and what the coaches teach its really impossible to know for sure who is really at fault here.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Saints first touchdown. 

Tre Boston is playing man against the TE that scored, mirrors him in motion. 

giphy.gif

Boston hesitates at the line thinking it was a run up the middle, can't recover.

Touchdown. 

Really great play design by the Saints here. Must have saw something on film they wanted to exploit. 

CJ got caught flat footed, needs to find the ball - was in perfect position to make a play. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a lot of crap in general about how our rookie draft picks are sucking without any acknowledgement of the fact that the starters haven't even been playing the whole time.

Bradberry is hurt. Worley got hurt this game. McClain was out. We were down to third and fourth string guys being in as starters, one of whom was a rookie.

It's not like this was planned.

Now I'm sure someone will say "we should have had depth". Go look at the depth chart for the secondary of any other team and tell me how good their third and fourth straight guys are.

Early season injuries have been kicking this team's ass.

I forget who exactly but a radio guy mentioned how injuries hurt teams. Other than QB, the worst case scenario is when you have your injuries clustered within a position group. What's worse for us is that we have injuries in the area we could least afford to have them. Oher being out is a double whammy because having to shift around guys is almost like having two injuries instead of one.

Now, before I get flamed for bringing up injuries, I still remember going up against the Seahawks in the 2005 playoffs with a depleted runningback core. I think we even lost our starter early in that game. Just no chance.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a lot of crap in general about how our rookie draft picks are sucking without any acknowledgement of the fact that the starters haven't even been playing the whole time.

Bradberry is hurt. Worley got hurt this game. McClain was out. We were down to third and fourth string guys being in as starters, one of whom was a rookie.

It's not like this was planned.

Now I'm sure someone will say "we should have had depth". Go look at the depth chart for the secondary of any other team and tell me how good their third and fourth straight guys are.

Early season injuries have been kicking this team's ass.

New England always seems to do pretty good in spite of injuries 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

It's amazing how 3 people can change a team. It's also amazing how a poor scheme can make great players look average. Next season we need to push hard for some vets in key positions and Shula should be gone. 

Such a dreamer you are . After all as many will quote  you the offense is in the top 10

of course situational play calling isn't addressed in that stat 

54 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

CJ got caught flat footed, needs to find the ball - was in perfect position to make a play. 

It's just a great play. CJ has seen that TE motion 1000 times and every time before now the TE is going out for a pass route into the endzone. His normal job is to chase down Brees if it's a play action fake to the RB and Brees bootlegs to the right side which he is setting up to do. It's one of those great plays that only works once and it was executed perfectly. Nothing to really get upset about on that one. You just tip your hat to Payton and move on.

3 hours ago, Bartin said:

I think this is missed assignment by Norwell. We don't know what the protection call was and it certainly could have been Norwell's responsibility to take 55. If Remmers blocks 55 and 32 rushes then it's a free shot at Cam. Norwell should have taken 55 and if 32 drops into coverage then Remmers moves inside to double 55. Norwell takes 52 who is blitzing but that should have been the RB's block.

I do believe you are right.  Remmers just can't catch a break 

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

First Cam Newton sack. 

Cam has a solid 4 seconds to throw the ball. 

giphy.gif

However, no one is close to being open. 

Untitled-6.jpg

Coverage sack. 

This is a prime example of Shula dialing up the homerun shot. I've watched this play on loop on NFL Game pass now 30+ times. 

If I knew how to create GIFs I'd put in some but I don't so I'll do my best to explain. 

Start of the play, Olsen motions out so we have 4 wide. Philly (I think) Far outside left, KB inside him in the slot, Olsen in the right slot, Funchess wide Right. 

The Saints are initially line up to mask cover two nickle, but shift to cover one ater the snap. 

Both KB and Olsen come off running out routes, while TG and Funchess look to be running 10 yard stop or comeback routes. Stewart is on a delayed middle release.

This is a play we've used before, as Olsen's shallow out a double move route, as is Philly's stop route. 

Olsen is actually running a corner route, but 33 is all over him and doesn't release him to the corner. This has worked for us before as Funchess, like in this play, tends to draw double coverage as he does here.It's meant to free up Olsen down the right sideline 

Once Cam sees this, he looks the now one high safety over to the Olsen Funchess side waiting for Olsen to come free (which dosen't happen), and is next read is going to be Philly in the stop and go, right as the pressure gets to him is when Philly gains a step on his man, and if he had a second longer, it could have been a TD. However that sent happen, Cam has already checked off Philly and is looking to KB then to Stewart who are both well covered, And the 4 rushers are able to twist there way in and make the sack before Cam can make any decision. 

This is indeed a textbook coverage sack, the debate is if we should have been dialing up a homerun shot on third and 8 when we were inside the 50. These long developing plays are what kill us in these situation in my opinion. 

Archived