• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It is Coach's Film Tuesday! Saints game observations...

Jeremy Igo

Thanks so much for doing this Jeremy.  Very helpful, especially since my internet has been worse than normal lately and I only was able to listen to part of the game, haven't watched any of it.  This at least gives me a feel for some of what was happening.

2 hours ago, CarolinaJami' said:

This was just a flat out great offensive play call. Fleener never had a running play in his career until here.

I have to agree I wouldnt worry about the TE running in this situation, and id cheat on the middle on a goal line situation 

The defense really is as close to as bad as it gets just looking at a little bit of film to point out what we already know.  The offenses have really figured it out.  Ends can't draw the doubles off of the talented tackles.  Secondary can't holdup against max protect, two wideout sets.  Blitz getting picked apart.  LBs playing very reactionary, way off the line, can't attack LOS on run plays.  Just a snowball effect of bad D and offensive coaches seeing the same film we see and scheming against it (not that hard if you have a competent offense).  

27 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I think this is missed assignment by Norwell. We don't know what the protection call was and it certainly could have been Norwell's responsibility to take 55. If Remmers blocks 55 and 32 rushes then it's a free shot at Cam. Norwell should have taken 55 and if 32 drops into coverage then Remmers moves inside to double 55. Norwell takes 52 who is blitzing but that should have been the RB's block.

I don't think so, everybody else on the line was taking somebody. If Norwell blocked 55 then 52 has a clear path to Cam. The back will typically pick up a blitzing safety, if 32 was going to blitz, though because of the dumb action Stew wasn't in position to really block anybody well and that seems to be on the coaching to me. Play call and design seems to be part of the reason for that sack to be honest. You don't design a play to have a tackle picking up a blitzing safety and try to leave pass rushers to a back or tight end.

2 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I don't think so, everybody else on the line was taking somebody. If Norwell blocked 55 then 52 has a clear path to Cam. The back will typically pick up a blitzing safety, if 32 was going to blitz, though because of the dumb action Stew wasn't in position to really block anybody well and that seems to be on the coaching to me. Play call and design seems to be part of the reason for that sack to be honest. You don't design a play to have a tackle picking up a blitzing safety and try to leave pass rushers to a back or tight end.

Then it's a failure by Cam to not motion Stew to his left side to pick up a potential blitzing safety and slide Remmers protection inside onto 55

That has nothing to do with play call or design. It's a failure to set the proper protection at the line which Cam has the leeway to do.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Watch the linebacker. It does the job. 

So then protection needs to slid to the left side of the line where Norwell picks up 55. It's crazy to expect Remmers to be responsible for two potential rushers. Since it's play action then Stew can't get 32 if he rushes. Tackles are taught to block from the outside in and Remmers has zero help outside him. His first move has to be to take 32.

Hey Jeremy what do you think about shaq moving to strong safety and rolling Kurt back to free and subbing in Klein in 4-3 and Colin at nickel on intermediate third downs? Gotta admit when shaq isn't blocked he is in position to make a play and he can run and cover down field

Archived