• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It is Coach's Film Tuesday! Saints game observations...

Jeremy Igo

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Less than stellar pass protection by Fozzy. 

giphy.gif

Seems like a good time to use a 250lbs "mobile" road block fullback here instead... but then again he can't block any better.. Man, I swear our team is loaded with guys no other team would even touch with a stick. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

First Cam Newton sack. 

Cam has a solid 4 seconds to throw the ball. 

giphy.gif

However, no one is close to being open. 

Untitled-6.jpg

Coverage sack. 

I'd like to see Cam take snaps under center more often.  Especially here. That might not be Cam's bread and butter, but 3rd and 6, tacking snap out of shotgun, then 3 step drop makes the throw more like 3rd and 10+.  Not to mention it allows our guy to get sacked well out of FG territory when the shitty routes don't develop fast enough/at all.  

1 hour ago, CarolinaJami' said:

This was just a flat out great offensive play call. Fleener never had a running play in his career until here.

For whatever else you think of Sean Payton, his play designs are brilliant.

With Shula, sometimes I don't think it's bad play calling as much as bad play design, especially when you see things like two or three receivers in the same general area.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I know Worley gets a lot of crap on here, but most of it isn't deserved. 

This is a veteran 3rd down play by him. Knowing where the first down marker is, playing his zone accordingly, knowing where he can be to still make the play and force the punt. 

There's a lot of crap in general about how our rookie draft picks are sucking without any acknowledgement of the fact that the starters haven't even been playing the whole time.

Bradberry is hurt. Worley got hurt this game. McClain was out. We were down to third and fourth string guys being in as starters, one of whom was a rookie.

It's not like this was planned.

Now I'm sure someone will say "we should have had depth". Go look at the depth chart for the secondary of any other team and tell me how good their third and fourth straight guys are.

Early season injuries have been kicking this team's ass.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Second Cam Newton sack. 

Remmers.....

giphy.gif

He lined up kind of further to his left than a tackle should usually be I think then his first step was left because he was trying to anticipate a blitz from the safety. That doesn't happen and the LB already has him beat. Why in the hell would a LT be more worried about a safety than a LBer...

2 hours ago, CarolinaJami' said:

This was just a flat out great offensive play call. Fleener never had a running play in his career until here.

Peter King wrote about this play at MMQB this week.  He awarded Sean Payton the "Coach of the week award" based on this play - talked about how it was designed to use Luke's instincts against him....  

23 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

He lined up kind of further to his left than a tackle should usually be I think then his first step was left because he was trying to anticipate a blitz from the safety. That doesn't happen and the LB already has him beat. Why in the hell would a LT be more worried about a safety than a LBer...

I think this is missed assignment by Norwell. We don't know what the protection call was and it certainly could have been Norwell's responsibility to take 55. If Remmers blocks 55 and 32 rushes then it's a free shot at Cam. Norwell should have taken 55 and if 32 drops into coverage then Remmers moves inside to double 55. Norwell takes 52 who is blitzing but that should have been the RB's block.

Archived