• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's have a rational conversation about our GM

Ricky Spanish

Good thread, CM, but I believe he should be fired.  You cant make the mistakes he did, PURPOSELY, and do it in the year he chose to do it, and not answer for it.  I dont think the organization will do it, as JR tends to give people a lot more chances than they deserve.  But, for me, if you are going to be as outspoken, bombastic, and abrasive as Gettleman has, you better not fug up.  And he has, big time.  His presentation has been beyond unprofessional.  Going back to his handling of Smitty, his comments about Cam before his extension, his handling of the situation with Josh and then blabbering about his titanium gonads when it comes to agents...  Many think the "fire gettleman crowd" are just angry because he dumped some of our favorite players.  No, a lot of us are angry because he got rid of players who could still help us win, in a ridiculously unprofessional and unprecedented fashion.  The lengths he went to make statements with Smitty and Norman were uncalled for.  

In any situation, i like to step outside of myself and try to view it from all angles, to make sure I'm being objective.  So, as i asked yesterday, when was the last time you saw a GM rescind a franchise tag from the top player at his position on the market and let him walk for nothing?  JUST TO MAKE A STATEMENT.  And as if that wasnt enough, goes to the media and offers up details about what kind of statement he was trying to make, as though it wasnt already clear.  How many GMs in the league have said the things he has said during his tenure here to media?  But, so many here were yucking it up thinking it was cute during the offseason while he was dismantling a superbowl team.  Supposedly part of the reason he didnt give Josh money was to give it to KK, as he values the DL more.  Well, hiw did that work out?  Not only did he not re-sign KK, but KK also looks horrible this year and appears as though whatever he was asking for, he might end up getting half of that.  So, he publicly humiliated Norman, then didnt resign the guy who was his priority.  That's great for team morale.  

Going back to the comments about Cam before giving him his extension...  there was just some shade in there.  After all Cam did for our franchise during his rookie contract, and he downplays it to the media like it wasnt enough, lol.  It was disrespectful.  I mean, youre coming from interception machine Eli Manning, and you're saying Cam has to win more?  Sorry, he didnt exactly have a stellar team or defense around the first few years.

And then no need to rehash the Smitty stuff...  my point is, in all those situations, ask yourself if other GMs would act in the same manner.  NOT ANY GM, but winning GMs.  With the Norman situation, i brought up how Seattle handled Kam, Wagner, Lynch in their contract disputes/negotiations.  Anyone get the rug pulled out from under them?  Did Schnieder go blabbering to the media about it?  No, they stayed the course and let the situation play out.  And guess what, they still have all their assets, and i dont recall them going 7-8-1 or starting a season 1-5 with the worst secondary in NFL history.  Winning GMs dont do that.

Our fanbase is so used to mediocrity, it is ridiculous.   To see people on here still saying crap like, "well, we came out better for letting josh go." LOL WHAT?  HOW? Or, "it's okay, we'll be good again next year!"  Lol...  do people not understand that thr goal is to be the BEST EVERY SINGLE YEAR?  Seriously, how much of a loser statement is that?  And that is honestly what most of the fanbase feels.  That is how they view things, because that's what they have been given for 21 years.  Gettleman is a different style than Hurney, but the results are the same.  Actually, they may be worse considering his lack of professionalism and poor drafting thus far.

Anyway, seriously...  ponder that question.  What other GM has acted the way he has towards players and done the things he has done in the media in a winning organization?  Unceremoniously cutting the best player in franchise history with no notice, no press conference, no respect...  rescinding the tag off of the best player at his postion on the market instead of keeping him another year under it in hopes of closing a 2 million dollar per year gap on an extension or trading him for assets?  Bragging to the media.  Saying we wont draft for need and then drafting 3 corners to try to cover up your initial mistake.

Players are watching all of this.  Agents are watching all of this.  And if you think those antics didnt have an effect on the locker room this season, you're kidding yourself.  He needs to be fired.

Why is it I've yet to see anyone of these "it's the coaching staff" people float out the name of the guy who's actually in charge of the D?

It's like they can understand McDermott's hands are tied due to the lack of talent he has to work with but can't comprehend the fact it's Gettleman job to supply him with talent. 

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Why is it I've yet to see anyone of these "it's the coaching staff" people float out the name of the guy who's actually in charge of the D?

It's like they can understand McDermott's hands are tied due to the lack of talent he has to work with but can't comprehend the fact it's Gettleman job to supply him with talent. 

They completely ignore it so they can shape the narrative the way they want

I like rationale discussions. So nice job OP.

Heres my 2 cents.

I thought Gettlemans hands were tied in 2013 and he had a pretty quiet but good offseason.

2014- Was a major major blunder and we regressed because of it. 

2015- By far Gettlemans most impressive offseason (granted it was short term fixes not long term)

2016- Another very bad offseason by Gettleman.

More detail below

2013- Quiet year. There were 2 players that by being cut freed up the cap space we needed to not only get under the cap that year without causing dead money because all guaranteed money had already been paid. This was Gamble and Ron Edwards. 

His free agent additions that year were

Chase Blackburn - 

Tedd Ginn Jr.

Mike Mitchell

Colin Cole

Drayton Florence 

D.J Moore

James Shaw

He also managed to re-sign these guys.

Dwan Edwards

Captain Munnerlyn

Jordan Senn

Derek Anderson

Ben Hartstock

Richie Brockel

5 of the 7 FA were good impactful signings. Excellent job for some quick cheap temporary fixes. I believe all but Blackburns deal were 1 year deals. Then he brought back Some good depth players as well. 

The he nailed the first 2 rounds of the draft with Star and Short.

During the season, he traded Beason and went ahead and absorbed that massive cap hit.

So 2013 was a good start for him and about as much as you could have asked at this point. 

Then in 14 he screwed the pooch in a major way. For a team that was supposedly in salary cap hell, he devotes 10%(13 Million) of the cap to a 1 year rental on Hardy. Voth reported even without the scandal Hardy was never going to be here past the 1 year franchise tag. Very odd decision from a guy who says "you are never just 1 player away". 

But it gets worse. Gross retires as planned from 2013 restructure. Gross had stated he would have played out his contract through 14, had Gettleman not asked him to hang it up a year early. Steve Smith is cut and actually cost us 1 million in cap space to do so. 0 CAP SAVINGS from this move!

Ginn perfromed well under his 1 year prove it deal and cashed out elsewhere. Lafell our only other receiver that had more then 10 catches that year is not offered a contract.  So now we have 0 returning WR'S for Cam. He loses his left tackle and  to pour salt in the wound Gettleman does 0 to compensate. He actually puts us in a position to take our worst offensive lineman and move him to cam's blindside. Who replaces Bell? None other than the converted DT, Nate Chandler! If that wasn't bad enough Wharton retires too!

Roman Harper and Cotchery were the 2 significant free agent signings who made the roster. 

2014 becomes the dumpster fire everyone thought it would be. But as luck would have it, despite going 7-8-1 we win the division and our gifted a playoff berth. This somewhat shielded G-man from getting crucified that year.

The best thing about that year is he nailed his 2 picks again. Benjamin and Turner.

2015 Comes around.

Excellent offseason and in season pickups really turn things around. Most important was replacing Byron Bell with Michael Oher. There were other band aids that provided great temporary solutions in Tillman and later adding Jared Allen. The result we all saw.

Then in 2016 it was back to the blunders of 14 again. The temporary band aid veterans are gone. One of our best players that we spent precious years developing has his tag rescinded. We knew we were also lacking depth at OT, DE, CB, S and 0 moves are made via free agency. Not even 1 year band aids this time. 

Everything would have had to gone perfect from Coaching to player execution, to being injury free this year for us to have a shot at a playoff run after this offseason. Things did not go perfect and here we sit at 1-5.

Now all of a sudden all of the new car smell of Gettleman has finally worn off and the hyperbole on this board exagerrating his greatness has disappeared. 

At this point the bed has been made and its time to lay in it. Maybe next year will be better and not just oh lets go sign a couple of 1 year band aid's better but moves will be made for more sustainable long term winning ways. 

53 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Good thread, CM, but I believe he should be fired.  You cant make the mistakes he did, PURPOSELY, and do it in the year he chose to do it, and not answer for it.  I dont think the organization will do it, as JR tends to give people a lot more chances than they deserve.  But, for me, if you are going to be as outspoken, bombastic, and abrasive as Gettleman has, you better not fug up.  And he has, big time.  His presentation has been beyond unprofessional.  Going back to his handling of Smitty, his comments about Cam before his extension, his handling of the situation with Josh and then blabbering about his titanium gonads when it comes to agents...  Many think the "fire gettleman crowd" are just angry because he dumped some of our favorite players.  No, a lot of us are angry because he got rid of players who could still help us win, in a ridiculously unprofessional and unprecedented fashion.  The lengths he went to make statements with Smitty and Norman were uncalled for.  

In any situation, i like to step outside of myself and try to view it from all angles, to make sure I'm being objective.  So, as i asked yesterday, when was the last time you saw a GM rescind a franchise tag from the top player at his position on the market and let him walk for nothing?  JUST TO MAKE A STATEMENT.  And as if that wasnt enough, goes to the media and offers up details about what kind of statement he was trying to make, as though it wasnt already clear.  How many GMs in the league have said the things he has said during his tenure here to media?  But, so many here were yucking it up thinking it was cute during the offseason while he was dismantling a superbowl team.  Supposedly part of the reason he didnt give Josh money was to give it to KK, as he values the DL more.  Well, hiw did that work out?  Not only did he not re-sign KK, but KK also looks horrible this year and appears as though whatever he was asking for, he might end up getting half of that.  So, he publicly humiliated Norman, then didnt resign the guy who was his priority.  That's great for team morale.  

Going back to the comments about Cam before giving him his extension...  there was just some shade in there.  After all Cam did for our franchise during his rookie contract, and he downplays it to the media like it wasnt enough, lol.  It was disrespectful.  I mean, youre coming from interception machine Eli Manning, and you're saying Cam has to win more?  Sorry, he didnt exactly have a stellar team or defense around the first few years.

And then no need to rehash the Smitty stuff...  my point is, in all those situations, ask yourself if other GMs would act in the same manner.  NOT ANY GM, but winning GMs.  With the Norman situation, i brought up how Seattle handled Kam, Wagner, Lynch in their contract disputes/negotiations.  Anyone get the rug pulled out from under them?  Did Schnieder go blabbering to the media about it?  No, they stayed the course and let the situation play out.  And guess what, they still have all their assets, and i dont recall them going 7-8-1 or starting a season 1-5 with the worst secondary in NFL history.  Winning GMs dont do that.

Our fanbase is so used to mediocrity, it is ridiculous.   To see people on here still saying crap like, "well, we came out better for letting josh go." LOL WHAT?  HOW? Or, "it's okay, we'll be good again next year!"  Lol...  do people not understand that thr goal is to be the BEST EVERY SINGLE YEAR?  Seriously, how much of a loser statement is that?  And that is honestly what most of the fanbase feels.  That is how they view things, because that's what they have been given for 21 years.  Gettleman is a different style than Hurney, but the results are the same.  Actually, they may be worse considering his lack of professionalism and poor drafting thus far.

Anyway, seriously...  ponder that question.  What other GM has acted the way he has towards players and done the things he has done in the media in a winning organization?  Unceremoniously cutting the best player in franchise history with no notice, no press conference, no respect...  rescinding the tag off of the best player at his postion on the market instead of keeping him another year under it in hopes of closing a 2 million dollar per year gap on an extension or trading him for assets?  Bragging to the media.  Saying we wont draft for need and then drafting 3 corners to try to cover up your initial mistake.

Players are watching all of this.  Agents are watching all of this.  And if you think those antics didnt have an effect on the locker room this season, you're kidding yourself.  He needs to be fired.

It seems like the reasons you listed are very emotionally charged, whereas Gettleman seems to operate with severe lack of emotions, almost to the opposite end of the spectrum. Could this have something to do with your disdain? I mean completely take all emotion out of the equation and you have a GM that's coming in with a coaching staff he didn't sign and a QB he didn't draft. His statements were very blase and bland. He mentioned evaluating everyone on the team, QB included, and removing all emotion from the any equation he makes. I don't blame a guy for doing his due-diligence on a QB he didn't draft before signing him long term. If you don't you could end up with Jay Cutler. You look at his comments as disrespectful and disingenuous, I look at them as strictly business.

Same thing with Smitty. If you take the emotion out of it, He didn't look at him as the greatest player in team history, just an aging vet with a high price tag. Was I upset when it happened? Yes. Removing all emotion from the equation I get it the move though. Smitty isn't the easiest person to get along with, he had a down year (that I personally didn't blame him for, victim of circumstance and all)  he was getting long in the tooth and his contract was pretty bloated. Could it have been handled with more tact? Most definitely, but I get the move. 

I think you are one of those fans that reacts emotionally to the things that happen. I was always trying to pinpoint why your posts felt more charged than others with what felt like a lack of concrete bases for argument. But you have your opinion and you defend it passionately, regardless of what anyone throws at you. I'm not saying that to poo on you, I'm just coming to a realization. Growl is anti-Gettleman but he gives more concrete reasoning behind it, you give emotionally charged paragraphs to get your point across because that is who you are as a fan: just some dude that loves his team too much to be rational sometimes. I dig it.  

I try and look at things objectively with no emotion when it comes to this team though, because if I don't then I just work myself up and get pissed off. Taking emotion out of the equation makes me understand Gettleman's line of thinking. It makes me get why he's done what he's done so far. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but I understand why, and I think that's the issue many have with him - They can't understand why he does the things he does because it causes them to have such a strong reaction - positive or negative. I get that you and others are upset about this one year, it is the most important year because it is currently happening right now. But Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. I've removed all emotion from watching this team because if I don't care then I can't be hurt. You have opened your heart up only for the team to take a huge dump on it, and that sucks, I hate that feeling so I don't allow myself to get my hopes up. My expectations weren't ridiculously high to begin with this year so I'm not all that upset. I'm a bit bummed, but I have prepared myself emotionally to be disappointed from years of being a Panther fan. 

We went from Marty Hurney, the most lovey dovey reward all players regardless of how much they suck -  to Gettleman, the cold calculated robot MFer. Gettleman is the kind of GM I wanted because I can relate to that line of thinking. Why I am still on the Gettleman wagon comes down to one thing - He hasn't screwed us long term. We are in a good place to succeed next year and the year after that, and the year after that, becasue we haven't pulled a Hurney and mortgaged the future on mediocre players for large contracts. Gettleman didn't get a deal done with Norman because he wanted to get one done with KK. That fell through when Cox got paid, so Gettleman removed all emotion from the equation, didn't back down on his number, and negotiations are still ongoing without a long term deal for KK. KK bet on himself this year, and thus far, it looks like Gettleman was right not to pay him top 3 money because he certainly hasn't looked like a top 3 player. Hurney would have caved and we'd be paying top dollar for an underperforming DT. That would hurt us for the upcoming season while we squandered the one we're currently in. So my silver lining with Gettleman and his hard ass line on negotiations is that the team is not worse off in the long term for the moves he has made. He has the core together long term and he can build around it. He's already done it by getting us to the super bowl. I'd rather take one hit to the chin than 5, which is what we got with Hurney. This is the first offseason in which his hard lined negotiation tactics have really hurt us when things could have been done to help us - but even then, the hurt is only temporary because we are setup to succeed for many years to come. We just have to have faith he'll learn from this offseason and do better next. If you have no faith in that, I can't argue, but I feel like he's a great talent evaluator and gets great bang for his buck due to the numerous examples of him doing so since he's been here (Mitchell, Ginn, Oher, Coleman, Tillman, Allen, Harper, etc.) All acquired at low cost to the team. I still believe in Gettlemagic and don't think it's dried up yet.

55 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Everything you just said just  I had been saying all off season. But I was just met with" better than hurney, winning season 'blah blah blah from the gettleman bandwagon. 

2 hours ago, Kakarot said:

Really trying not to defend anyone. I just can't stand a bully. Anyways...

Look at you trying to deflect the blame from Gettleman. You're going all over the board trying to change the narrative and have everyone blame Ron. I don't think Ron's a good HC. I've felt that for quite sometime, and wouldn't shed a tear if he was fired. What I can say though, is I highly doubt it was Rons idea to go into the season with 3 rookies starting in the backfield. This is also the same man that wanted to retain Hardy, so I doubt he wanted to let Norman go. You can choose to have most of your blame placed on Ron, but I'm placing it on the man who more than likely gave Ron the players he's having to play now. 

As I expected from him. He has a front row seat on the gettleman bandwagon so this isn't a surprise.  Ron isn't a great head coach but it is a fact that he has never wanted to get rid of any our top players. He has been Giving poo to work with and that isn't his fault.

41 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

As I expected from him. He has a front row seat on the gettleman bandwagon so this isn't a surprise.  Ron isn't a great head coach but it is a fact that he has never wanted to get rid of any our top players. He has been Giving poo to work with and that isn't his fault.

Wrong, as usual.

Getting rid of Benwikere was Ron's decision. He's said as much in his pressers since.

2 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Because GM's don't generally speak to the fans during the season because there's no point in doing so. 

I just don't understand how there's no communication from anyone other than Rivera. He never talks about bringing in a vet, at this point it couldn't hurt. 2 weeks until we play again is ample time for somebody athletic, (cough) Cromartie (cough) to come and try out at least. Can't be any worse than the dumpster fire we have back there atm. I know he got cut by the Colts but this secondary is in dire need of a veteran presence at cornerback.

28 minutes ago, Salisburysean98 said:

I just don't understand how there's no communication from anyone other than Rivera. He never talks about bringing in a vet, at this point it couldn't hurt. 2 weeks until we play again is ample time for somebody athletic, (cough) Cromartie (cough) to come and try out at least. Can't be any worse than the dumpster fire we have back there atm. I know he got cut by the Colts but this secondary is in dire need of a veteran presence at cornerback.

I've had the same thoguhts but I don't know if Cromartie would be a fit in our scheme. He's a man 2 man cover guy and we run zone, not sure how well that would work. Could turn into an Asomugha situation part two if he isn't a scheme fit. 

2 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

It seems like the reasons you listed are very emotionally charged, whereas Gettleman seems to operate with severe lack of emotions, almost to the opposite end of the spectrum. Could this have something to do with your disdain? I mean completely take all emotion out of the equation and you have a GM that's coming in with a coaching staff he didn't sign and a QB he didn't draft. His statements were very blase and bland. He mentioned evaluating everyone on the team, QB included, and removing all emotion from the any equation he makes. I don't blame a guy for doing his due-diligence on a QB he didn't draft before signing him long term. If you don't you could end up with Jay Cutler. You look at his comments as disrespectful and disingenuous, I look at them as strictly business.

Same thing with Smitty. If you take the emotion out of it, He didn't look at him as the greatest player in team history, just an aging vet with a high price tag. Was I upset when it happened? Yes. Removing all emotion from the equation I get it the move though. Smitty isn't the easiest person to get along with, he had a down year (that I personally didn't blame him for, victim of circumstance and all)  he was getting long in the tooth and his contract was pretty bloated. Could it have been handled with more tact? Most definitely, but I get the move. 

I think you are one of those fans that reacts emotionally to the things that happen. I was always trying to pinpoint why your posts felt more charged than others with what felt like a lack of concrete bases for argument. But you have your opinion and you defend it passionately, regardless of what anyone throws at you. I'm not saying that to poo on you, I'm just coming to a realization. Growl is anti-Gettleman but he gives more concrete reasoning behind it, you give emotionally charged paragraphs to get your point across because that is who you are as a fan: just some dude that loves his team too much to be rational sometimes. I dig it.  

I try and look at things objectively with no emotion when it comes to this team though, because if I don't then I just work myself up and get pissed off. Taking emotion out of the equation makes me understand Gettleman's line of thinking. It makes me get why he's done what he's done so far. I don't necessarily agree with it all, but I understand why, and I think that's the issue many have with him - They can't understand why he does the things he does because it causes them to have such a strong reaction - positive or negative. I get that you and others are upset about this one year, it is the most important year because it is currently happening right now. But Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. I've removed all emotion from watching this team because if I don't care then I can't be hurt. You have opened your heart up only for the team to take a huge dump on it, and that sucks, I hate that feeling so I don't allow myself to get my hopes up. My expectations weren't ridiculously high to begin with this year so I'm not all that upset. I'm a bit bummed, but I have prepared myself emotionally to be disappointed from years of being a Panther fan. 

We went from Marty Hurney, the most lovey dovey reward all players regardless of how much they suck -  to Gettleman, the cold calculated robot MFer. Gettleman is the kind of GM I wanted because I can relate to that line of thinking. Why I am still on the Gettleman wagon comes down to one thing - He hasn't screwed us long term. We are in a good place to succeed next year and the year after that, and the year after that, becasue we haven't pulled a Hurney and mortgaged the future on mediocre players for large contracts. Gettleman didn't get a deal done with Norman because he wanted to get one done with KK. That fell through when Cox got paid, so Gettleman removed all emotion from the equation, didn't back down on his number, and negotiations are still ongoing without a long term deal for KK. KK bet on himself this year, and thus far, it looks like Gettleman was right not to pay him top 3 money because he certainly hasn't looked like a top 3 player. Hurney would have caved and we'd be paying top dollar for an underperforming DT. That would hurt us for the upcoming season while we squandered the one we're currently in. So my silver lining with Gettleman and his hard ass line on negotiations is that the team is not worse off in the long term for the moves he has made. He has the core together long term and he can build around it. He's already done it by getting us to the super bowl. I'd rather take one hit to the chin than 5, which is what we got with Hurney. This is the first offseason in which his hard lined negotiation tactics have really hurt us when things could have been done to help us - but even then, the hurt is only temporary because we are setup to succeed for many years to come. We just have to have faith he'll learn from this offseason and do better next. If you have no faith in that, I can't argue, but I feel like he's a great talent evaluator and gets great bang for his buck due to the numerous examples of him doing so since he's been here (Mitchell, Ginn, Oher, Coleman, Tillman, Allen, Harper, etc.) All acquired at low cost to the team. I still believe in Gettlemagic and don't think it's dried up yet.

That whole response was extremely backhanded, or at least the first paragraph or two I read of it.  But shouldnt have expected anything more, as the huddle has come to understand the definition of rational as, "gentle ass kissing, everyone gets a trophy."  I have given CONCRETE reasons as to why I have posted the things I post, you dont recall them because they dont fall in line with your thinking.  I read the "non-idiot" posts from huddlers in all-pro, and they're different in tone, but provide no more in the way of substance.  "It might be this, but i dont know.  Might be that, but not sure about that either.  Here is some guy's bio.  Now let's all have a group hug."  

As far as gettleman, he is not just business.  Just business doesnt rescind a tag on one of your best players leaving you vulnerable at the position he plays while you get nothing in the way of compensation.  Just business doesnt go out to the press and talk poo about it.  That is an emotional move, driven by ego.  Of you want to believe otherwise, thats up to you, but deep down, you know its the truth.  Neglecting the position in favor of playing several scrub ass rookies would undermine his position of not needing help and letting the young guys develop, which is also driven by ego, which is emotional.  Jeremy even posted a thread citing that as a reason Gettleman wouldn't bring in outside help.  But i guess he is just an emotional, irrational poster too?

See, you frame everything according to what you want to believe.  Depending on the username and your already held beliefs about any given topic, you decide before you even read anything whether it will hold any weight in your thinking.  I give everything equal value and a chance to shift my thinking...  see, in this situation, i said gettleman fuged up well before the season started based off my observations and feelings.  And guess what?  He did.  So, where was i supposed to change my thinking?  Oh well, guess i needed to post some bullshit PFF articles to support my opinion, then it would be worthy of your consumption.

Its gotten to the point of delusion here.  So enjoy your group hugs and kumbaya circles with the "rational" gettleman nuthuggers  finding any fuging scapegoat you can to excuse this fuging mess he created.  Dont mind me, ill be posting long emotional paragraphs lacking APA citations for validation. 

Archived