• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's have a rational conversation about our GM

Ricky Spanish

15 hours ago, AU-panther said:

but you should look at the following two years.

It was only 2 years 2014/2015. There was dead money the second season as well which is added to the acquisition cost.

It was not worth the savings. We needed Smith in 2014 and 2015 over Cotchery.

The fact is DG inherited a team that was way over the cap and coming off of 3 straight losing seasons.  Being over the cap wasn't a myth. 

Over the cap for 2013, but it was baked in for Gettleman. He did not have to do much. It was release Gamble and the team was just under the cap.

The myth is that the cap was an on going problem that kept the Panthers from spending money for years. Last I checked the year the Panthers could not spend much they did very well. The years they could spend in 2014 and 2016 they did very poorly and made some very bad decisions.

You can cut players with large salaries.  Cutting a player making 500k doesn't save you anything because you have to replace that player.  Also if a player has too much dead money on the books cutting them can actually cost you cap space.  DG was limited on who he could cut because a lot of the players had contracts that were really back loaded.

You do realize he had $16.6m in cap space for 2013? He did that while still cutting Gamble, trading Beason, Those were the only 2 major dead money hits that season. Not tough decisions. If he kept Beason for the season, the Panthers are $22m under the cap. 

Not very limited. He could have cut just about anyone else on the roster without any problem.

Restructuring is always done. Especially for players you plan on keeping. It is not hard to toss a player some guaranteed money and a bonus to get them to accept. Gettleman actually did more of this than was necessary. 

It is a myth. He wasted money every season he has been here. Not strapped if you can throw money away on a Beason trade, Hardy tag, sign Ginn and Oher, and throw money at Paul Soliai while trading for Andy Lee and throwing even more money at Oher.

Myth..

3 hours ago, PandaPancake said:

fuck-you-cracka.jpg

I have nothing to add, I've just been saving this meme for Cracka to start a thread. Also important tip when Google Image searching this use 'fug you cracka' not 'fug you cracker' totally different results.

This image has been on the internet since like 2003, and truth be told, was the original inspiration for this username. 

On 10/18/2016 at 1:52 PM, KB_fan said:

Excellent point about nor mortgaging our future.  That very definitely is a positive.

I do have one growing concern about a possible long-term mistake that Gettleman is making, however, and that's the continued very very low (league lowest?) number of draft picks.  I think that may be catching up to us this year.

I'm quite concerned that we have virtually no obvious promising talent that we're developing as potential starters with maybe the exception of Butler and *perhaps* Daryl Williams. (who may improve with the starting experience he's getting right now?  Perhaps he will eventually be an upgrade to Remmers?!? (that's a pretty low bar!)

We have some good young talent (Shaq, KB, Funch, obviously Trai, Norwell...) but for the most part, all our young talent is already playing.   I don't see anyone in line behind them, especially on either line.   Drafting 3 CBs really handicapped us now in terms of roster development at other positions.  Usually we score some good talent in the UDFA pool, and maybe we did so again with Jeremy Cash... but we need talent to develop on Oline, Dline, Safety, TE.  

As Gettleman reminds us, there's no instant oatmeal and it takes 2-3 years to develop players to a good level.  Who are those guys we're grooming?  Tre is not playing well.  Kony is not playing well.  We let Bene go.  Daryl Williams looks so-so.  CAP is serviceable but probably not a Stew-replacement long-term....  Cox and Miley both gone.  Delaire looked awful before he was injured.

Up until now I've been wowed by DG's drafts and the "bang for the buck" - few drafted players but lots of talent.   Now it all seems to be going up in smoke rather quickly and our recent strategy of drafting fewer players to go after guys we really liked looks like it could start to bite us.

He needs to let Rivera pick his type of  players for his system. 

On 10/18/2016 at 1:52 PM, KB_fan said:

Excellent point about nor mortgaging our future.  That very definitely is a positive.

I do have one growing concern about a possible long-term mistake that Gettleman is making, however, and that's the continued very very low (league lowest?) number of draft picks.  I think that may be catching up to us this year.

I'm quite concerned that we have virtually no obvious promising talent that we're developing as potential starters with maybe the exception of Butler and *perhaps* Daryl Williams. (who may improve with the starting experience he's getting right now?  Perhaps he will eventually be an upgrade to Remmers?!? (that's a pretty low bar!)

We have some good young talent (Shaq, KB, Funch, obviously Trai, Norwell...) but for the most part, all our young talent is already playing.   I don't see anyone in line behind them, especially on either line.   Drafting 3 CBs really handicapped us now in terms of roster development at other positions.  Usually we score some good talent in the UDFA pool, and maybe we did so again with Jeremy Cash... but we need talent to develop on Oline, Dline, Safety, TE.  

As Gettleman reminds us, there's no instant oatmeal and it takes 2-3 years to develop players to a good level.  Who are those guys we're grooming?  Tre is not playing well.  Kony is not playing well.  We let Bene go.  Daryl Williams looks so-so.  CAP is serviceable but probably not a Stew-replacement long-term....  Cox and Miley both gone.  Delaire looked awful before he was injured.

Up until now I've been wowed by DG's drafts and the "bang for the buck" - few drafted players but lots of talent.   Now it all seems to be going up in smoke rather quickly and our recent strategy of drafting fewer players to go after guys we really liked looks like it could start to bite us.

Having a few draft picks is not a bad thing. Your overvaluing Round 4-7 picks. Most don't turn into anything except backups. If you want to look at the quality of the draft you look at round 1-3 and anything past that is considered a bonus. 

Archived