• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad is the Panthers secondary? Well, this will tell you.

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, beastson said:

It looks like that's on Coleman, but really the play-action suckered our linebackers in because the front 4 has been struggling in not only pass rush, but against the run

I honestly don't think the DL is trying lol. Could they not be happy about losing Norman in FA and KK not getting a new contract?

I don't think that is true.  We are actually doing better this year against the run than we did last year.  Only allowing 3.3 a carry.  Truth is that we pretty much shut Ingram down.  Didn't matter of course.  And I guess you could argue that New Orleans had so much success passing, they didn't try to run.  

Nevermind that a route at that depth requires linebacker coverage to prevent the completion, and all three linebackers bit on the play action.  This was actually a blown coverage by Thomas Davis.

I agree that our secondary is trash, but this play is not actually the best indication of that.  This was a simple case of linebackers biting on play action.

5 hours ago, emhoward said:

And more teams are going to start to do this. Max protect, give the QB five seconds to throw, rape the secondary.

Until a CB learns to communicate with the safety to let them know they understand the protection and situation, it will be rough.

The CB should be able to signal to the safety quick enough to let them know they are going to drive on a route if there is only one receiver on their side.

The CBs need to know they have underneath coverage from the LB and call for the safety to be over top. The safety will watch the CBs key, and when the CB drives they will roll off deep to the receiver and be ready for any over throw.

This secondary will be a 3 year process. Hopefully, by 2018 they can work as one unit and start disguising some of their coverage.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

While the Carolina Panthers pass rush had been a problem all season, the secondary has not helped at all. 

Here is what they mean when they say the defensive line needs at least a NFL caliber secondary to get pressure. 

Exhibit A

Untitled-1.jpg

Drew Brees drops back for a pass during the first drive of the game. Look at the number of Saints players around Brees. 

1. Drew Brees

2. Blocking Charles Johnson (to his credit, getting at least some push)

3. Blocking Star Lotulelei 

5 and 6 Blocking KK Short 

7 and 8 discussing dinner plans

9 blocking Kony Ealy

Nine. Nine players in this image, meaning there are only two Saints receivers running down field. Because the Panthers are bringing only 4 defensive linemen for pressure, that leaves SEVEN Panthers defenders to cover TWO Saints receivers. 

The result?

giphy.gif

The receiver gets in front of Zack Sanchez and Kurt Coleman for the easy reception. 

It just does not get much worse than this. 

This may not, or may be an actual play from yesterdays loss to the saints..  It "may" be a Wiki -leak video, in which we aren't suppose to look at others videos , that may have been secretly released..  so we'll ask other teams we might play in the future to not use , what "may" be a Wiki-leak video   :-)

Obvious they suck now...will suck tomorrow and will still suck next week...they will continue the tremendous suckage and will take the suckage to new embarrassing levels. 

8 hours ago, CollegePanther said:

Looks good to me.

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 12.30.39 AM.png

As this is the first time I have seen this. I have to say...this is brilliant. It got lost in the avalanche of threads...but it needs to be seen.

In the midst of all that has transpired as of late. This should be a beacon of...I got nothing. Just thought is was clever.

Archived