• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad is the Panthers secondary? Well, this will tell you.

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Anyone think that retaining Coleman as our backfield veteran might have been a mistake?

It might well have been.

But he had a fantastic season in this defense last year and there was no rational reason to predict that he'd do a complete 180 and be this horrible in the same defense this year.

11 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

It might well have been.

But he had a fantastic season in this defense last year and there was no rational reason to predict that he'd do a complete 180 and be this horrible in the same defense this year.

Actually, I always felt that Coleman was a liability in set coverage and was at his best when freelancing around the field or acting as the enforcer. Actually, he was a liability when freelancing as well, but he got mighty darned lucky at times... and luck can be a very good thing.

But let's face it, the cerebral part of the the safety position isn't there for everyone. Mike Minter was great at being a field general and Roman Harper had seen it all ... both guys had the skill set to get the defensive backfield in position. Coleman's strengths don't lie in that area as much. A guy like Luke can get the d-line and 'backers in position, but he can't be repositioning the guys behind him and still keep his eyes on the play.

14 minutes ago, SportsCrazie4172 said:

that would be awesome..but I thought he retired from football..

He can un-retire. Favre did it, what, 5 times, 6 times?

Seriously though I don't think we want him back. DG doesn't want to keep patchworking the secondary with veterans who aren't going to have a long future here. And coming off the ACL I'm not sure if he'll even be that effective and he honestly wasn't that great last year. I'd be all over it as I love me some Peanut and him and Bradberry would be exciting to watch but unlikely to happen or make sense.

6 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

He can un-retire. Favre did it, what, 5 times, 6 times?

Seriously though I don't think we want him back. DG doesn't want to keep patchworking the secondary with veterans who aren't going to have a long future here. And coming off the ACL I'm not sure if he'll even be that effective and he honestly wasn't that great last year. I'd be all over it as I love me some Peanut and him and Bradberry would be exciting to watch but unlikely to happen or make sense.

the fact that he on twitter cosigning tweets about bringing him back makes me think he ready..as someone mentioned earlier..we need someone in the secondary lining up these young guys..Luke does it for the front..we need a veteran to do the same for the secondary..

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Live by the zone against bad QBs.

Die by the zone against good-to-HoF QBs that will pick your ass apart.

Pretty much.

If this is the way teams are going to attack, we need to go to man coverage.

Yes, we'll get burned some but the zone clearly isn't working right now.  And if it can be exploited with just two receivers, that's embarrassingly bad.

Of course, this would require a coaching adjustment, so...

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much.

If this is the way teams are going to attack, we need to go to man coverage.

Yes, we'll get burned some but the zone clearly isn't working right now.  And if it can be exploited with just two receivers, that's embarrassingly bad.

Of course, this would require a coaching adjustment, so...

we should mix it up or go more of 4-3 base defense with either Shaq or Klein in coverage who know the defensive  assignment a lot better.

It looks like that's on Coleman, but really the play-action suckered our linebackers in because the front 4 has been struggling in not only pass rush, but against the run

I honestly don't think the DL is trying lol. Could they not be happy about losing Norman in FA and KK not getting a new contract?

Archived